• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Transfer files from old comp to new comp?

Quasqueton

First Post
OK, thanks to y'alls advice, I have a cool new computer to replace my 5-year-old-used-to-be-cool computer.

What is the best/easiest way to transfer files from the old computer to the new?

Quasqueton

Quasqueton

First Post
New computer has a CD-RW. Old comp has just CD-ROM.

Both computers have Ethernet cards, but the cable modem is plug into the card of the new computer.

I could disconnect the modem long enough to transfer the data, but how does one go about networking these two together?

Quasqueton

Breakdaddy

First Post
If you dont have a switch or hub then you will need a specialized cat 5 ethernet cable called a crossover cable. It would be much easier to obtain a hub and just plug both PCs into the hub via standard cat5, give them their own IP address and do a peer to peer transfer of files across the network. Failing that, you can use a hot pluggable removable storage device for relatively small files like a 256 meg or more jump drive or a usb powered zip drive. If all else fails, take the CDRW out of the new box and temporarily place it in the old box long enough to do some quick and dirty file transfer...

Quasqueton

First Post
How does one "easily" obtain a hub, and how easy is it to give IP addresses?

How easy is it to just take out the old HD and put it in the new box? I've been told that was an option.

Quasqueton

Quasqueton said:
How easy is it to just take out the old HD and put it in the new box? I've been told that was an option.
You can pull the old HD, put it in the new PC as a secondary drive, and just leave it as such, pulling files as you need them. You'll need to mess around in the BIOS a bit, but it's a fairly simple process (well, simple in theory, but too complex for me to detail here without seeing your PC in front of me)

Scotley

Hero
Quasqueton said:
How does one "easily" obtain a hub, and how easy is it to give IP addresses?

Quasqueton

First, USB drives are the wave of the future and if your files are under a 128 mb or so then the easiest way to do things is buy one and use it. Even a 256 sized one is less than $100 and 64 mb ones are less than $30 at your favorite local office supply store. These little things are great and all you have to do is plug it into an available USB port and start copying files on to it. Then plug it into the new machine and copy again. Its a lot less hassle than CDR or even various networking solutions. Its also very fast and even a cheap one will hold more than 40 floppy disks worth of stuff. The only drawback is if you have some really big files you want to copy. These things are also called key drives because they are about the size of a car key. If you don't have the money or the files are too big or you old machine doesn't have USB ports then try swapping drives.

For my money nothing beats pulling the old drive out and dropping it in the new machine. If you are at all comfortable with a screwdriver it is a painless operation on modern computers.

A quick google search should lead you to several detailed explainations of the proceedure. Look a couple of these up and make sure you understand it before you start. Note details like the way cables are turned and how jumpers are set before you pull them. My summary below covers the high points, but read a more detailed one before you start. It varies a little depending upon the computers, but the steps are:

Open the case of the old machine and find the drive you want. Take out the little screws holding the drive in place (many nicer cases include a little drive cage that allows you to remove the drive without taking out any screws). Disconnect the two cables attached to the drive. Typically this is a wide ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard and a little power connector that connects to the powersupply.

Once you get the drive out open the new case and look for a spare ribbon cable and power cable like the one you just removed. Be very careful hooking up the ribbon cable as you can bend the little pins. It should only go one way because of a little plastic tab on the connector, but if you don't have one there is a little stripe on the ribbon. That side of the cable should be closest to where you connect the power cable to the drive.

If you plan to just keep the old drive in your new machine then find an empty drive slot and use those little screws to secure it to the new case.

However, if you don't plan to keep it in the new machine you can safely run the machine with the cover off and the drive perched securely where ever it will fit that doesn't interfere with the fans. This is not really a good idea, but it is the easiest way to do it if you are only going to have the drive in long enough for a one time file transfer.

A couple of things that might cause trouble--if you don't have a completely free cable you will have to deal with master/slave issues. The easiest way to do this is to disconnect a CD/DVD drive and then plug in the hard drive. Take off the power cord too. Then when you are done just plug it back up. Modern computers can adapt to the removal and reconnection without incident. Older machines are more tempermental. If you are going to have the old drive on the same cable as some other drive in the new machine then you'll have to learn about slave/master and cable select setups. Again google is your friend and its not that hard.

Once you get the old drive in the new machine just crank up explorer and start copy and pasting from old to new. Your drive letters may not be what you expect, so a little searching may be in order.

If you screw up you are unlikely to do any permanent harm, just be sure you take some notes or even some digital fotos to be sure you can put things back exactly the way they were.

Good luck. If you run into any trouble I'll be checking this forum for a few days and try to bail you out.

Scotley

Breakdaddy

First Post
Sounds like we all like the jump drive (key drive, usb removable media) idea, it would be easiest. As far as slaving in the secondary hard drive, that is an option as long as the new box can read the filesystem on the old machine (if its an XP box, it probably will unless the old box is a 'nix machine). Just be careful, Ive seen old HDD's go out pretty quickly when not properly handled, but it should be fine. The hub idea is possibly a bit more than you need to do since you seem to be unfamiliar with windows networking options. Its never a good idea to fool with those unless you know what you are doing, lest you nullify your broadband connectivity by mistake. Hubs/Switches are widely available at best buy (et al) for a small price (10-50 dollars for a 4 port). Again, not your best available option, considering your familiarity level with the networking aspect on the windows computing environment.

WingOver

First Post
Quasqeton, I agree with the last few posters. Get yourself a USB storage device. Many are small enough to fit on keychains.

If your old computer has windows XP on it, it will automatically recognize the USB device (otherwise buy one that comes with a driver CD). Just plug it into your USB port and it will be recognized as another drive letter. Then copy stuff onto it, go to your new computer and plug it in, move the data off and repeat.

I know guys at work who put whole projects (docs or software) on these things. Its a convenient way to physically transport data.

Remove ads