• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Transhuman Space?

Wootz

First Post
Hello, long time inactive member, but recently things have cleared up with my gaming group, and we now have the time to start another campaign. We've played D&D (4e) exclusively in the past, and now I want to try something different.

So I was wondering, how is Transhuman Space? From what I know, I think I like the setting, but I was wondering a few things:

*Is it really too complicated for all but the most hardcore gamers to enjoy? I'd hate for that to be the case.

*Is it really hard to run a campaign on it? I heard its neutral setting makes it difficult to steer the game in a given direction, but I think I can manage. What I wonder is if the game is too open to make anything very concrete for the players to be creative with?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

giant.robot

Adventurer
I haven't played a THS game in a while but I'm a fan of the setting. To answer your questions in order:

1. THS is no more difficult than any other GURPS game to actually play. That is to say not terribly difficult. If you try to incorporate every tiny bit of THS fluff into a game your story is going to get nice and complicated. It's a big rich setting with a lot of hooks for GMs and players. Rules wise it comes with GURPS Lite rules in the core rulebook. I'd suggest checking out the Changing Times book which updates THS for GURPS 4e.

2. This is completely opposite of reality. The fluff covers the span of time between the turn of the 21st century and 2100. Everything as far as the players are concerned has happened in the past and they're continuing on from that point. The fluff suggests the game time starts at the beginning of 2100 in the specific THS setting.

The THS setting is fairly specific but written such that there's a lot of adventure hooks. While you can change whatever you want in the setting it's far from "neutral".

Remove ads