• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Transmute troll to elf! does he still drool?

Sacred Cow

First Post
Quick question for you guys.

Would a polymorphed monster use disguise, perform or bluff skill checks for impersonations? If I have a troll sorcerer (or whatever) polymorphed to look like an elf, what kind of skill check would he need to ACT like an elf?

I know that polymorph gives a bonus to disguise (he looks like an elf just fine), but I'm not sure that would change how he talks, eats, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr Fidgit

First Post
i think that's the point of adding the bonus to a disguise check, that you do have to make that roll. on the other hand, if the party had never seen an elf, that roll wouldn't be necessary. if the party had an elf in it, the troll's probably not going to fool him.

(unless the troll was REALLY clever!

party member high elf: "But why are you drooling?"
troll: "'Cause I'm uh WILD elf!")

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'd do it like this perform skill(synergy bonus from bluff and a good disguise) for physical actiosn, how to walk like an elf, gesture like an elf, and basically eveything else covered by people watching you from a distance. For interaction I'd use the bluff skill with sysnergy bonuses from perform and a good disguise.

Xarlen

First Post
Bluff.

I believe you keep all your Ex abilities in a poly'd form, so the Troll has regeneration.

THIS will freak out your players!

Fighter: I rolled a crit! I hit him.
DM: Okay, your axe sinks into his gut. He staggers, looks pissed, but keeps on going. Oh yeah; the flesh is starting to knit back together. And he just slaps you with a lightning bolt. 'Flex save?

I agree... Bluff would be the way to go... he may look like an elf, but a Troll isn't known for it's intellegence.. although I would give my players a bonus to the roll if they had ever come across an elf before..

Player: Are you an elf?
Troll: Yes, me elf, not big ugly Troll..
Player: right........

AEtherfyre

First Post
The disguise skill is for just this type of situation.

It doesn't just cover looks - it also covers mannerisms, habits, and cultural differences. That's why all those penalties for age categories, racial differences, and similar aren't eliminated by the use of Poly Other.

I can't see why any other skill would even be considered, myself.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
So if you're right, I can't help but notice that shapechanging creatures like some dragons have a great bluff skill, but no disguise at all. None. Nada.

Boy, it makes them easier to detect!

Man walks oddly into tavern. Bartender looks up.

"What can I get you, Sir?"

"Fatted virgins, servant. And bow down before me or I will rip your heart out with my cl... me hand, and eat it before you."

<pause>

"Uh huh. You're not from around here, are you?"

pontus

First Post
In general, doesn't using the polymorph spell or illusions or the like grant you a +10 bonus to Disguise checks? Wouldn't that kind of suggest that the Disguise skill is the one that should be used here.

Remove ads