Trapdoor Tech Signs Up Cartographer Mike Schley

Trapdoor Tech, the makers of the Codename: Morningstar electronic tools suite, has announced a new collaborative project - a "moddable battle map system" - with 5E Dungeon Master's Guide artist and cartographer Mike Schley. Part of Codename: Morningstar, it will be "a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly."

Trapdoor Tech, the makers of the Codename: Morningstar electronic tools suite, has announced a new collaborative project - a "moddable battle map system" - with 5E Dungeon Master's Guide artist and cartographer Mike Schley. Part of Codename: Morningstar, it will be "a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly."

[lq]The basic idea revolves around the design of a moddable battle map system that can be used in digital environments such as Morningstar and easily printed for tabletop play.[/lq]

Mike says of the project: "The basic idea revolves around the design of a moddable battle map system that can be used in digital environments such as Morningstar and easily printed for tabletop play. A single tile set can be oriented in thousands of different ways while maintaining the most user-friendly, readable, and if I may say so, gorgeous look possible. Plus, we're planning to create a wide variety of adventure locations so that whatever fantasy RPG system you use will benefit from a wealth of richly customizable map art like you've never seen before."

5f7af0e642a7a19fa9ce80d74eb2cc0d_large.png

Trapdoor describes the project's goal as "a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly. To do that, we needed the best cartographer in fantasy gaming. Mike will be designing and illustrating our map tile sets. He will also be working with the design and development team to make our map builder interface simple and intuitive. We are stoked!"

[lq]...a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly.[/lq]

Codename: Morningstar, as you probably already know, was originally designed under license from WotC as a D&D 5E toolset. When WotC ended that arrangement, Trapdoor tech retooled and launched a Kickstarter aimed at redesigning the tools for the Pathfinder RPG and other rulesets. That Kickstarter has 16 days to go, and has raised 12% of its $425K goal.

Trapdoor's Evan Newton has also clarified recently, after rival Lone Wolf Development announced plans to include D&D 5E in its Hero Lab and Realm Works software (contingent upon an open license being announced by WotC), that Trapdoor's situation is very similar -- "We're in a similar position Lone Wolf is–in that we're waiting on word about the OGL. The advantage we have is that our tools are already built and ready to release"

You're mixing up the two versions. They're asking for the funds to make the Pathfinder version. They have a 5E version nearly ready if the OGL is announced.

Lone Wolf's 5E tools are not ready for release. They are prepping in advance in the hope of an OGL.

They're in opposite situations. LW already has PF tools, and TD already has 5E tools. TD is raising funds for PF tools. LW has started prepping 5E tools.

At least that's my understanding.
As I said elsewhere, I doubt the $400k is *only* going to develop the Pathfinder content. More likely they're trying to pay off accrued debts.

LoneWolf's dataset is not ready to release but they're far better off. They have significantly less content. And it's easy to implement. As shown by the ENWorld poster who managed to get all the PHB content into HeroLabs in his free time. LW could be ready to go in a month if needed. And all their tools and app might already be on people's devices.
There's a very good chance if the new licence includes digital tools LW could launch digital support within weeks.
In contrast, Trapdoor will need to get the app approved by Apple, which can take time.

I think it's absurd to expect them to wait until they can launch a finished product before kickstarting, but I do agree that there are a lot of problems with the kickstarter right now.

The starting goal is sky high, and while I have no doubt they deserve it and I know software developement is a long and expensive process, I suspect they looked at other softtware kickstarters end amounts and went with that. They should have started smaller and scaled up through stretch goals. Use hype to get to what they need to complete the whole package.

I also think this slow trickle of information is damaging. This may have to do with the fact that they're just getting these deals finalized as they go but that's another sign of a kickstarter begun too early. Also, I appreciate the creativity of the clues for the next announcement on their website through cryptic story but it's actually irritating if you're trying to figure out what they're offering in order to back.

I also agree that the tiers seem off, and there seems to be no benefit to backing before release in that regard. Maybe I'm wrong.

I want this to succeed but it's hard not to be skeptical of something that appears to be unsure of what it is.
I agree that waiting until product is ready is absurd.
I meant that they they had one opportunity to make money with a Kickstarter and they blew it. So the KS sh has sailed.
This means they can either keep going and hope to recoup their debt with sales at launch. Or they can cut their losses now and walk away before they lose even more money. Or they can scale back their operation and try and do Morningstar as a less ambitious side project.

I think the slow trickle of information was planned, to keep momentum going. They looked at successful Kickstarters and assumed that was the way to go. When, really, successful Kickstarters trickle information as they're making new arrangements as they go in response to their success.

The Round Table podcast did an episode on the KS and really laid out most of the problems.
http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/round-table-47-codename-morningstar-kickstarter/
It's easy to say "hindsight is 20/20" but a lot of the concerns were instantly obvious. Trapdoor has done a masterful job of turning themselves into a cautionary tale.

Hollow Man

Explorer
The Round Table podcast did an episode on the KS and really laid out most of the problems.
http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/round-table-47-codename-morningstar-kickstarter/
It's easy to say "hindsight is 20/20" but a lot of the concerns were instantly obvious. Trapdoor has done a masterful job of turning themselves into a cautionary tale.

I listened to the podcast a few days ago and it did a good job of summarizing most of the issues I have with the Kickstarter. Supposedly they're releasing a new podcast next week with responses from Trapdoor to the issues raised.

-HM

MadAxe

First Post
I think if they did what you say, cut their losses for now, they could regroup, hammer out partnerships like with Karthun and Mike Schley (and others) ahead of time, they could come back later with a much better organized Kickstarter with clear goals and pricing. Start at a lower fund goal but add on to the success with momentum.

Hollow Man

Explorer
I think if they did what you say, cut their losses for now, they could regroup, hammer out partnerships like with Karthun and Mike Schley (and others) ahead of time, they could come back later with a much better organized Kickstarter with clear goals and pricing. Start at a lower fund goal but add on to the success with momentum.

Agreed, and so many people here also agree. The big question is why they didn't do this in the first place, and why they don't cancel this Kickstarter now, and put this plan in motion.

-HM

Agreed, and so many people here also agree. The big question is why they didn't do this in the first place, and why they don't cancel this Kickstarter now, and put this plan in motion.

-HM
Shame? That's just a wild guess, based mostly on others' impressions of Trapdoor's mental state.

Anyway, working with Mike Schley is probably the most positive news I've heard about this project in a long time. His maps are spectacular!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I know! And after you've said it 7,949 times, too! You'd think they'd listen to you by now! :)

Hollow Man

Explorer
I know! And after you've said it 7,949 times, too! You'd think they'd listen to you by now! :)

I know, right? Hey, what can I do if Chris Matney isn't willing to hire me as a consultant?!? ;)

But seriously, I'm passionate because I liked what I heard when WotC announced this, and liked what I saw at Gen Con. Having a product that allows me to get the 5e rules the way they've shown off (hyperlinks based on context, i.e. where you are in the app), without having to drag my books out with me every week (or skim through the Basic pdf) is just perfect. So seeing mistake after mistake from that point on is just killing me.

To be honest, the character builder and all the other content management isn't as exciting to me. Nice, but easy access to the rules I need based on what's happening at the table is valuable.

-HM

I listened to the podcast a few days ago and it did a good job of summarizing most of the issues I have with the Kickstarter. Supposedly they're releasing a new podcast next week with responses from Trapdoor to the issues raised.
I will say this for Trapdoor, they always seem to be willing to pop onto podcasts and are open to talking.
But, really, the place to answer questions is on the Kickstarter. And they shouldn't have to be answering as many questions as they are.

After the disaster that was web beta and the disaster-in-the-making that is this Kickstarter, people will be even more hesitant to back a second Kickstarter unless they have some serious improvements. They had one shot.

It sounds like they need half a million dollars to turn a profit, which isn't likely to happen any time soon. Even if they stave off bankruptcy for two to five months, they'll be hard pressed to sell enough content to get into the black.

Remove ads

Remove ads