• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TRAPDOOR TECH To Team Up With ED GREENWOOD?

Trapdoor Technologies (who you will remember as the company behind the Codename: Morningstar project) has announced that it is talking to Ed Greenwood, who you know as the creator of the Forgotten Realms and who recently announced his own 'unofficial' Forgotten Realms project. While they're only "in talks" at present, it does sound like the plan is to include interactive sounds, videos, and animations in an electronic version of Ed's upcoming Forgotten Realms: The Unofficial, Non-Canon, Unlicensed, Utterly Unapproved 50-Year History.

Trapdoor Technologies (who you will remember as the company behind the Codename: Morningstar project) has announced that it is talking to Ed Greenwood, who you know as the creator of the Forgotten Realms and who recently announced his own 'unofficial' Forgotten Realms project. While they're only "in talks" at present, it does sound like the plan is to include interactive sounds, videos, and animations in an electronic version of Ed's upcoming Forgotten Realms: The Unofficial, Non-Canon, Unlicensed, Utterly Unapproved 50-Year History.

Most of that is largely guesswork, though. The actual press release reads as follows. You can read more about Ed Greenwood's upcoming project here.

March 10th, 2015

TRAPDOOR TECHNOLOGIES
THE ED GREENWOOD GROUP

Trapdoor and Greenwood are in talks…

Enhanced ebooks and new technologies are dynamically changing the traditional book publishing landscape, both for publishing companies and for authors. The change is not a minor one.

While the business landscape has changed for all involved, the coming technological advances will have a profound effect on storytelling itself.

Trapdoor's breakthrough multimedia-enhanced app-building platform creates an immersive storytelling environment that provides authors more freedom to be creative and readers an especially exciting and unique experience. “What we have developed is a simple intuitive technology, the key for wide-scale adoption of new forms of storytelling, that seamlessly incorporates multimedia and interactive content with the written word,” said Chris Matney, managing director at Trapdoor Technologies.

“The ability to add interactivity, sounds, video, animation, puzzles, evolving synopses, and so much more to a novel is quite the thrilling creative opportunity,” said Ed Greenwood, president and publisher of The Ed Greenwood Group. “It opens the mind, and I’m looking forward to continuing my chats with Trapdoor—seeing just how cool they can make things for our readers is inspiring.”

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
For the record, this doesn't look like it has anything to do with "Morningstar", but rather the product they had before they began dealing with WotC: the book distribution mechanism known as "The Story Machine".

All in all, it's a good move for them and will likely keep them in business for a while. After the Kickstarter failure, their future was in some serious doubt.

ETA: Actually, it's "Storybook" ... http://www.trapdoortechnologies.com/storybook/

Last edited by a moderator:

turkeygiant

First Post
This seems more up their alley, their strength always was GUI over mechanical content, they just didn't understand how a character creator should work at a fundamental level. I would love to see them put their design skills to an interactive book.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I just hope I don't have to buy a specialized e reader for these books. I am happy with Nook and really see no need to buy another one.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
I just hope I don't have to buy a specialized e reader for these books. I am happy with Nook and really see no need to buy another one.

As far as I know, the "Story Machine" is its own custom application but can run on any existing iOS/Android hardware.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads