Trapdoor Tech's Official Pathfinder Mobile Application

Trapdoor Technologies and Paizo have announced that the former will be producing an official licensed Pathfinder RPG mobile app. The company already produces Playbook for PRC, which is an open-gaming-content version, but this will allow more content and artwork, along with a catalogue of official Pathfinder adventures. It'll be coming to mobile devices this summer. Trapdoor technologies is the company which was originally producing DungeonScape, the official D&D 5E app, before that project was cancelled.

Trapdoor Technologies and Paizo have announced that the former will be producing an official licensed Pathfinder RPG mobile app. The company already produces Playbook for PRC, which is an open-gaming-content version, but this will allow more content and artwork, along with a catalogue of official Pathfinder adventures. It'll be coming to mobile devices this summer. Trapdoor technologies is the company which was originally producing DungeonScape, the official D&D 5E app, before that project was cancelled.
5482f1f9ba1a5_full.jpg

[h=4]Press Release[/h]
Trapdoor Partners with Paizo, Inc. to Create Comprehensive Pathfinder RPG Companion App for Players and Game Masters to Streamline Gameplay Like Never Before

BOULDER, COLORADO (April 11, 2016): Trapdoor Technologies proudly announces a partnership with Paizo, Inc. to produce Playbook for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, an app that integrates all of the components of running the popular RPG into a single application for iPad.

"Playbook will allow players to roll up and manage characters, while Game Masters can purchase and prep adventures and campaigns in the award-winning world of Pathfinder,” says Chris Matney, Managing Director at Trapdoor. “With quick rules lookup, information sharing, stat tracking and more, this is the app roleplaying gamers have been waiting for.”

Trapdoor released a preliminary version of the Pathfinder RPG Playbook developed independently of Paizo, however the full licensed version of Playbook for Pathfinder will include the games’s complete rule set, artwork, connection with Pathfinder Society Organized Play events, and the extensive library of Pathfinder adventures. Playbook for Pathfinder is slated for release Second Quarter 2016, with additional adventures released throughout the year.

"We are excited to have Trapdoor join the Paizo family, and we think Playbook for Pathfinder has great potential to improve the game prep and play experience. Streamlining bookkeeping and simplifying rules lookup during play will help gamers get the most out of their time at the table," said Lisa Stevens, CEO at Paizo.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Dead in the water according to their forum page. I guess it's not as easy for a variety of reason as people think when they bash WoTC for not having one up and running by now.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The interesting thing to me is that Paizo has licensed it, which means Trapdoor has convinced Paizo that the product has potential.

Obryn

Hero
Yep. (Trapdoor hasn't convinced *me* that the product is viable, but apparently Paizo thinks it is.)
Yeah, from what I remember the app was barely-serviceable even for the much simpler D&D 5e, with craziness like six-page character sheets. I mean, maybe they can pull it off, but PF is a vastly larger and more cluttered beast than 5e.

I wish Trapdoor Technologies all the luck in the world but I dropped Pathfinder like the plague, so I'll be interested to see what other RPGs they add in, for the future.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I'm with Brock, although I dropped PF like it was a serious case of the flu, not the plague, I downloaded the app after Jester mentioned it....not really what I would want or expect. They have a long way to go before it's useful. I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a form of roleplaying, staring at the iPad screen for 2-4 hours and the small type...eye strain.

upogsi

First Post
I would -KILL- for an android version of this as well. I don't really see why its so common to release things for just iphone these days.

Ok... I just want to say a few months back I got absolutely CRUSHED on the forums for suggesting that apps were the future of how digital copies of sourcebooks were released, instead of pdfs. For a plethora of reasons, that I won't go over again.

This is only the first teensy tiny baby step of what I believe is going to be the medium to deliver new books, digitally, in the future.

Man, did I get crushed & ganged up on.

Is it too childish to say "I told you so"?

Because... I told you so. lol
Man I think anybody who disagreed with you just isn't paying attention. (Now I'm hoping I wasn't one of the ones disagreeing with you!) Digital books are the future, we're just still perfecting the delivery.

That said, Trapdoor definitely did not come across as a bunch of winners last year during the whole Morningstar/Dungeonscape/whatever-it-was-called fiasco. I'm not really into PF, but are we taking these guys seriously now? I haven't been following what they've been up to.

Remove ads

Remove ads