• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traveller D20 Spotted in Stores!!!

RPGRealms

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
As I recall - maybe incorrectly - Marc Miller's Traveller that came out a few years back sold poorly enough that not all the books planned were published.

There were a couple of factors that caused MM's Traveller to cease publication. The owner of Imperium Games lost a ton of money in the Asian stock market, and eventually the license was pulled because IG wasn't living up to the quality demanded of the license and the fact they weren't putting the material before Marc for approval.

Which in a way if fortunate, as Imperium Games was owned by Courtney Soloman, the fellow that brought us Dungeons and Dragons the Movie. He actually had a license to do a Traveller movie at one time. Thank God he doesn't anymore!

Lizard

Explorer
RPGRealms said:

about as many as any other version of Traveller... :rolleyes:

Heh. Cross Dragonstar and T20. Use the 'grittier' (I'm guessing) T20 rules for starships and tech, but allow elves and dwarves...

"My Aslan Merchant/Paladin unsheathes his PGMP-15 +5 and aims it at the K'Kree Necromancer!"

(I hear Marc Miller spinning in his grave. And he's not dead.)

And, of course, Rogue is the favored class for Varg'r....

RPGRealms

First Post
Lizard said:

Heh. Cross Dragonstar and T20. Use the 'grittier' (I'm guessing) T20 rules for starships and tech, but allow elves and dwarves...

"My Aslan Merchant/Paladin unsheathes his PGMP-15 +5 and aims it at the K'Kree Necromancer!"

(I hear Marc Miller spinning in his grave. And he's not dead.)

And, of course, Rogue is the favored class for Varg'r....

I think crossing Dragonstar and T20 is about as natural as crossing Star Wars or Spycraft with it. One of the great things about them all being d20. Not my personal cup of tea (well a Spycraft cross might be cool), but I will certainly not discourage those who want to go that route!

Jin Chi

First Post
No no no....you guys have it all wrong.....

You need to cross T20 with Call of Cthulhu.

Space horror is such a cool genre if done correctly. Exit from a bad jump and perhaps you picked up a passenger along the way....

What's another stat when you're already adding Education and Social Standing? Sanity will fit in nicely.

Jaime

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
It's arrived in Canada!

Here's my post and the resulting thread regarding my acquisition of T20:

Tah-dah!

I am most pleased with T20 so far. :D Now I have to grill my friend for his opinion! LOL

-W.

mroberon1972

First Post
Just got it...

Just got it... After seeing the quality (only one error on the text so far, and no spelling errors found), I am willing to forgive the score of months that this has come out late... (All right, it was not 20 months late, but it FELT like it!)

Over all, it is very solid book. And the damage system for characters still holds true to D&D while making the damage more (buzzword alert) GRITTY! I have already seen several ways to add the standard D&D magic classes to the system with minimal problems. It even has conversion rules for D&D armor, and uses standard D&D weapon damage.

The starship building rules seem to be very good (will take more than one day to decide...) and it seems that most Alternity (TSR's last attempt at a Sci-Fi RPG system) starships will transfer over at about a 10 Traveller Ton / 1 Alternity Durability rate. Need to convert some Alternity races, hardware, and weapons to this so I can restore my StarDrive game.

The vehicle building rules allow you to build anything from a robot drone, to a battlesuit, to a jeep or jet fighter. Seems solid too...

Overall, I have to say I like Traveller's system more than what I saw of D20 Modern in the Dungeon mag. This is much more interesting...

The best parts are the random generators in the back. A scan of them shows ones for: System design, World design, Trade goods, and some more items I have not looked over yet.

Allensh

Explorer
Re: Just got it...

mroberon1972 said:
.The starship building rules seem to be very good (will take more than one day to decide...) and it seems that most Alternity (TSR's last attempt at a Sci-Fi RPG system) starships will transfer over at about a 10 Traveller Ton / 1 Alternity Durability rate. Need to convert some Alternity races, hardware, and weapons to this so I can restore my StarDrive game.

This is because the starship construction rules come right out of the Classic Traveller book 5, High Guard, with appropriate adjustments and some updating. And High Guard has always been the standard to which all other SF game ship construction rules have been compared, at least in my mind :)

Thank The Ancients they didn't go with Fire, Fusion and Steel!

Allen

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads