• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traveller d20 -- what makes it special?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Out of curiosity, any idea why T20 commands such a high price on Amazon and eBay? I ask, because I just grabbed a NM copy of the book (looks as though it has never even been read) at the FLGS this evening. I figured that anything selling for $60 in VG condition was worth a read for what I paid in NM condition -- so how 'bout it? What makes T20 so darned valuable/enticing?

Ranger REG

Explorer
It's rare. Haven't been updated to 3.5e.

I like the History rules, a concept based on earlier Traveller rules. You can find a web article about using the History rules for other d20 games, including fantasy.

mhensley

First Post
I think it had a fairly small print run. Other than that, it's a very good version of Traveller complete in one book. I just wish I could get my group to give it a try. :\

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Like the others have said, it is a great and mostly complete version of Traveller based on d20 rules.

I'll also nominate the History section as the reason I love EVERY edition of Traveller. :D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A friend of mine tried it and found the combat rules to appear to be needlessly complex.

I'll move this to the "d20" forum, as you might find more people there who have got some experience with it.

Cheers

RPGRealms

First Post
mhensley said:
I think it had a fairly small print run. Other than that, it's a very good version of Traveller complete in one book. I just wish I could get my group to give it a try. :\

Two print runs and 10,000+ sold. I still have a handful of copies of my personal stock. Hehe maybe I should sell em on eBay!

RPGRealms

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
A friend of mine tried it and found the combat rules to appear to be needlessly complex.

I'll move this to the "d20" forum, as you might find more people there who have got some experience with it.

Cheers

The only major change to the combat system (personal) is the damage system.

mhensley

First Post
RPGRealms said:
Two print runs and 10,000+ sold.

Oops, I was wrong again. :heh:

Anyway they are pretty hard to find which explains their high prices on ebay. Apparently, most of the people who bought them originally are holding on to them.

Psion

Adventurer
Well, it's a very nice one-volume SFRPG. It was released in the 3.0 era and perhaps leaned a bit too heavily on its parent games (shares some foibles of both classic traveller and 3.0), and could use some brush-ups, but ultimately very complete and very usable.

Don't know what your friend might be on about, Plane Sailing, unless they were a D20 hater, too. Combat is not particularly complicated compared to standard D20, and considering that more emphasis on ranged weapons decrease the role of Attacks of Opportunity, it's a bit less complicated in play.

The Ship Combat rules are one of my favorite set of rules for spacecraft combat in RPGs on small ships with PCs as crew, because it deliberately creates important combat roles for the whole crew instead of just letting the pilot and gunners do all the work while everyone else sets back and twiddles their thumbs.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Psion said:
Well, it's a very nice one-volume SFRPG. It was released in the 3.0 era and perhaps leaned a bit too heavily on its parent games (shares some foibles of both classic traveller and 3.0), and could use some brush-ups, but ultimately very complete and very usable.

I haven't cracked the cover yet -- and, really, I'm waffling back and forth on if I should, given the marvellous condition of the book and the potential to turn a profit by selling it online. Just how complete is it? Is it only lacking the ability generation rules and the encounter balancing (i.e., party level versus CR) tables much like Grim Tales? How necessary is a "WotC core book" to play the game? I have access to several core books but color me curious :D

Remove ads