• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traveller d20 -- what makes it special?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Traveller players I've encountered are also bizarrely into collecting different editions of the game, which are legion. I am as well. I've got at least the core rule book of each edition that's been published.

RPGRealms

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I haven't cracked the cover yet -- and, really, I'm waffling back and forth on if I should, given the marvellous condition of the book and the potential to turn a profit by selling it online. Just how complete is it? Is it only lacking the ability generation rules and the encounter balancing (i.e., party level versus CR) tables much like Grim Tales? How necessary is a "WotC core book" to play the game? I have access to several core books but color me curious :D

If you know how to generate d20 characters, you don't need a core book.

If you want a core book we have the Traveller's Guidebook for Players available as a PDF and a print version through LuLu. That book includes all of the character generation rules, a bunch of new classes, skills, feats, and equipment as well.

balterkn

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Will there be a new Traveller20 edition?

(Note I did not specifically mention d20.)

Probably not, as indicated here, Traveller5 is probably going to be the next licensed version of the game.

While I liked the OGL/d20 version, there is something about heroic fantasy that didn't translate as well fro me when I could have a TL-15 FGMP that could obliterate most medium/large conventional vehicles... (FGMP = "fusion-gun, man-portable", the TL 15 version had enough gravity compensation built in so that I could fire it in my PJs).

RPGRealms

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Will there be a new Traveller20 edition?

(Note I did not specifically mention d20.)

I am working on a rewrite of the system and posting drafts in our Moot area of the website. It will be the engine that will power Traveller20 through the end of our Traveller license and other settings beyond. It's a d20 based engine similar to T20, but stripped down and rebuilt.

RPGRealms

First Post
balterkn said:
Probably not, as indicated here, Traveller5 is probably going to be the next licensed version of the game.

Well technically Mongoose is the licensee. Traveller5 is the version of the game the owner Marc Miller is working on for release this year. GURPS Traveller will also continue. Our own Traveller license won't expire until the end of August 2010, so we've got a while yet.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Didn't somebody also get a license to use the Classic Traveller system for a maritime ruleset? I know that somebody was workign toward that end. I sure hope that it happens. I have wanted a real, honest-to-god, sea-faring adventure RPG for years.

Ranger REG

Explorer
RPGRealms said:
Well technically Mongoose is the licensee. Traveller5 is the version of the game the owner Marc Miller is working on for release this year. GURPS Traveller will also continue. Our own Traveller license won't expire until the end of August 2010, so we've got a while yet.
Will you be forking over $5K to get sneak peek at the license and work on it for a 2008 release?

Remove ads