• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traveller:Restrictive Licensing + PDF sales suck

mwchapel

First Post
So I recently got back into playing Traveller, and decided I wanted to play in the 1248 era from ComStar games.

Just to find out that they had a limited licensing "scheme" that ran out in November. So now there isn't a site out there that sells those PDF's anymore.

Not only that, but because some of the modules were PDF only, I will never get a chance to even own a used copy.

Just Gone forever.

Man I hate all this hokey licensing.

Mike Chapel

Treebore

First Post
Yep, which is why I never got into Comstar. Keep an eye on the Mongoose stuff, they should be doing plenty of adventures. In the mean time buy the CD's with all the old issues of the magazines on them, tons of adventures in those.

Psion

Adventurer
Heh. Yeah. Not into 1248 (my hat of TNE put me off any chance of getting invested in it), but Comstar had a nice little line of CT-style supplements that I am glad I bought when I did. I was a little taken aback how non-patrony the patrons were in mongoose's 760 Patrons were; I went to recommend Comstar/Avengers' Patron Adventures supplement to those who felt likewise, but found it (and a bunch of similar products) had disappeared from the site. :(

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Heh. Yeah. Not into 1248 (my hat of TNE put me off any chance of getting invested in it), but Comstar had a nice little line of CT-style supplements that I am glad I bought when I did. I was a little taken aback how non-patrony the patrons were in mongoose's 760 Patrons were; I went to recommend Comstar/Avengers' Patron Adventures supplement to those who felt likewise, but found it (and a bunch of similar products) had disappeared from the site. :(

It would be nice if you ran a game or two of Traveller next Gencon.

jujutsunerd

Explorer

Several of those are apparently going to be/have been reissued for Mongoose Traveller. No word on time schedule though.

The Travellers’ Aid Society • View topic - New releases

/Jonas

qstor

Adventurer
Mark Jason aka "flynn" one of the posters on the Mongoose Board and here occaisonally runs a good game of Traveller at GenCon.

The 1248 license was pulled because Avenger license was for a short term IIRC. The only licenses now held are held by Mongoose, Far Future Enterprises, OLI (T20) and Steve Jackson games.

Mike

sjmiller

Explorer
The only licenses now held are held by Mongoose, Far Future Enterprises, OLI (T20) and Steve Jackson games.
Umm, Far Future Enterprises doesn't need a license. That is the one man company run/owned by Marc Miller, the rights holder to Traveller. The company was created to sell old GDW stuff like Traveller, MegaTraveller, Twilight:2000, and 2300AD (aka Traveller: 2300).

The Green Adam

First Post
The only licenses now held are held by Mongoose, Far Future Enterprises, OLI (T20) and Steve Jackson games.

Mike

And BITS (British Isles Traveller Support) and Raimei, Inc. Raimei is the Japanese publisher of Traveller and known to produce slightly different books (like combing two American books and adding new art) and new magazine material for Classic Traveller.

AD

Treebore

First Post
Umm, Far Future Enterprises doesn't need a license. That is the one man company run/owned by Marc Miller, the rights holder to Traveller. The company was created to sell old GDW stuff like Traveller, MegaTraveller, Twilight:2000, and 2300AD (aka Traveller: 2300).

Now Twilight 2000 is licensed to 93 Games Studios and their soon to be released Twilight 2013 (PDF is already released, and I am very happy with their
version).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads