• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Travelling Game Bag Recommendations?

Sir Brennen

Legend
Just wondering, anyone have any recommendations on good bags/boxes to lug around one's RPG books (particularly for a game master?) I saw this one that looks nice, but it seems sized specifically for the boxes of the game it's designed for.

malraux

First Post
I use a hard-sided legal sized hanging file folder case. It holds ~6 books, plus the legal size means that there's space at the end to stuff bags of dice, minis, tokens, etc. I can't find an identical one online right now, but you can probably find something similar at any office supply store.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sounds like you are looking for a Gym/Duffle bag, like this one:

200512793121LARGE01.jpg

200512793121LARGE02.jpg

That one measures 20" x 12" x 10"

I can get something like that wholesale for around $6.00 plus shipping, but I do not know what they run retail.

I’ve been using the backpacks that they sell at GenCon every year. Those bags are almost the perfect size for RPG books. As an example, I was, until recently, hauling around a copy of everything from the entire d20 modern line plus a few third party books in one.

EDIT: there is apparently no link to buy them online. Sorry.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Depends on how much you need to carry. I found it easier to reduce the amount of books I need to bring and just use a normal school backpack.

TGryph

Explorer
This is what I use. It was designed for CCG, but works very well for my Gurps game. The back zipper part hold my 3 basic Gurps hardcover books I use, plus my mini case for that particular session, plus my 3x5 index card file.

The middle zipper area holds my GM screen, plus and loose pages and 2-3 Gurps supplement softcovers I may need that day.

The front smaller zipper are holds a pen pouch and any larger minis, along with any CD's or other props I need. I add my eyeglass case to the side mesh pouch, my dice box to the other, and I am good to go.

I also tote along a notebook with a handle for my GM notebook, and a tube case for my battlemap and campaign map, and I have everything I need in two-hands, one trip!

Ultra Pro Gaming Backpack

TGryph

Asmor

First Post
Go to Staples.

Get one of these: Staples® Expanding Folding Crate on Wheels | Staples®

It collapses flat. It has an extendable suitcase-style handle and wheels, so you can roll it, meaning you can carry lots of heavy stuff (e.g. books) without tiring yourself out. When you do need to carry it (e.g. stairs), just retract the handle and it provides a very comfortable grip.

I think they also make a version now which has a lid, though I've found a 40-gallon black trash bag fits snugly around the crate and provides enough room that you can fully extend the handle, providing adequate rain protection.

As the founder and president of my college's game club, I've tried several different solutions and this thing has been absolutely perfect. It's lasted me a couple years already and shows no signs of wearing out.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I bought one of these a couple of months back. It's a heavy-duty canvas backpack/duffel with a heavily padded internal laptop sleeve (for anything with up to a 15" screen), a huge cargo space, reinforced bottom, and multiple pouches/pockets for dice, calculators, pens, cell phones, etc.

The bag is also rectangular in shape, meaning that (if you are so disposed) you can cut apart some of those cheap Sabol foam miniature trays to create a protected miniature storage area in the bottom of the pack. And still have with plenty of room to tote your laptop and a thick (8"-10") stack of books.

If you're playing a game that requires you to carry around an entire library, the folding crates from Staples (mentioned above) are great, as are heavy-duty hanging file boxes (I've used both to transport my D&D 3.5 books to sessions).

Last edited:

Remove ads