• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Travels through the Wild West: Books V-VIII (Epilogue)

What should be Delem's ultimate fate?

• Let him roast--never much liked him anyway.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Once they reach a high enough level, his friends launch a desperate raid into the Abyss to recover h

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • He returns as a villain, warped by his exposure to the Abyss.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I\\\'ve got another idea... (comment in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Ziggy

First Post
Once again an excellent fight scene from Lazybones :D

We had a very similar scene in our "city-rogues" campaign, down in the dwarven ruins below Raven's Bluff. Only those undead included an Allip, which reduced my Rouge/Cleric's Wiz down to 3. Not much spellcasting left after that :)

.Ziggy

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Lazybones, my friend, as Nemm as already posted, tomorrow I go on vacation for a month, without internet, so maybe this is my last bump for a while.

I'm carring your Books I to IV, to re-read them, and I hope to find a completed Book V waiting for me when I will return on July 20th :)

Maldur

First Post
As Horacio is on vacation ( Have fun, Horacio!) Ill bump the story.

Ill also add "WOW's" and "We want more's"!

:D

Im getting very curious as to Lok's background now :)
(I need some more stuff I can steal for the campaign Im running)

Cheerz, Maldur

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Maldur said:
As Horacio is on vacation ( Have fun, Horacio!) Ill bump the story.

Ill also add "WOW's" and "We want more's"!

:D

Cheerz, Maldur

Good idea, Maldur!

I trust on you for not letting this story slip into second page!

Bye, folks :)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Have a great vacation, Horacio! TttWW will be here when you get back...

Maldur, for Lok's background, I'm assuming you've read the Prologue of Book 2 and Part 23 of Book 3, where Lok's story is revealed.

Book V, Part 6

“Ouch,” Benzan said.

“Hold still,” Dana commanded, touching the claw marks on the tiefling’s face again as she called upon the power of Selûne for a minor healing spell. Benzan flinched at the touch, but as the blue glow of positive energy surrounded Dana’s hands the bloody scratches closed and faded, leaving only a few flecks of dried blood.

“There,” Dana said, examining her work critically. “Now go get cleaned up—you smell like a fish vendor.”

“Thank you, mother,” he said mockingly, smiling at the steely look she shot him.

They were gathered in the confined space that had once been part of an urdunnir residence, recovering from their battle against the undead mob that had roamed the halls of the abandoned dwarven town. Dana had already created food for them to eat, and conjured additional water into a cracked stone basin they’d found so that they could wash away some of the sweat and blood they’d picked up thus far. Now they were resting, Cal with his spellbook laid out across his lap, and Lok sitting alone a short distance away, his heavy brows furrowed with troubled thoughts.

“Do you think that there are any more of those… things… around?” Dana asked.

Cal looked up from his spellbook. “Hard to say, but by the way they attacked as a single mass, I’d guess that maybe we got them all.”

Benzan, only slightly cleaner after splashing a bit in the basin, toweled off his damp neck with his dirty shirt as he rose. “We’re going to have be very careful from here on out,” he said. “Without Delem’s firepower, we’ve lost a lot of our magical punch.” He glanced at Dana as he spoke, cautious lest his words injure her, but she only nodded, recognizing the truth in what he said.

“There are many dangers in the Underdark,” Lok rumbled. “Most of what I know about them comes from various dwarven tales, but they’re clear on the need for caution down here. I can lead us to where we have to go, but I cannot be clearer on what we might encounter on the way, or even when we arrive at our destination.”

The others nodded—they’d covered that before.

“Well, hopefully it won’t be more undead,” Benzan said. “That’s one category of enemy we’ve been fortunate enough to avoid in our travels, and I’m just as happy to keep it that way.” He shuddered slightly, perhaps thinking back to the icy touch of the ghouls and the paralysis that had kept him helpless while they tore at his flesh.

“Hmm…,” Cal said. “There was that ogre ghoul at our first meeting, the shadows guarding that cleric of Cyric… you know, I think that’s it, as far as I can recall. And now, a pack of ghouls and ghasts.”

“How is it that you know so much about everything?” Dana asked him. “I mean, during my clerical training I learned about undead, of course, but I didn’t recognize those creatures immediately.”

“I read a lot,” Cal said, “and listened, and talked to a lot of people. Remember, I grew up in Waterdeep, in the south quarter, which was the point of entry for all the merchant caravans and adventurers and vagabonds that came to the City of Splendors. I heard every kind of fantastic story you could imagine—that’s one of the main reasons I decided to leave, in the end—I realized that I had heard thousands of stories, but I hadn’t written any of my own. So I hit the road… and the rest is history.”

“And what stories will you tell about us?” Dana said, the pain evident in her voice as her gaze fell to the smooth stones of the floor.

“Stories of bravery, and sacrifice, and friendship,” he told her, his voice full with sympathy. “Of triumph over the darkest evils, and help given to those who could not help themselves.”

Dana lifted her head, and smiled at him.

“Maybe you could edit out the part where I was paralyzed and nearly torn apart by those ghouls,” Benzan interjected. “I didn’t particularly like that part.”

Cal laughed, and the sound seemed to brighten the room. “Oh, don’t worry, Benzan,” he said with another laugh. “All of your exploits will be fully elaborated in my tales, right down to the last smart-assed comment.”

“Um, great,” Benzan said, fixing the gnome with a dubious look.

“And what shall we call this saga?” Dana asked, allowing herself to get into the lighter mood, appreciating what her companions were doing to help ease the pain that still gripped her heart.

“I was thinking, perhaps, of ‘Travels through the Wild West,’” Cal said. “Has a nice ring to it.”

“Yeah, but we’re in the North, now,” Benzan said. “And I don’t think the Isle of Dread was ‘west’ of anything, really—at least not in our world.”

“Yes, Benzan, but the ‘West’, as we think of it in Faerûn, is more a state of mind than a geographical location. You grew up in one of the Old Empires of the East, so perhaps you don’t understand it as much, but the West has always been the frontier, the untamed lands beyond the core of civilization one finds in the Heartlands, or the lands around the Sea of Fallen Stars, or the older realms farther to the south. Even today, in our more ‘enlightened’ age, with great metropolises like Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate as shining beacons of civilization, the West bears with it a certain rugged atmosphere, a natural—and dangerous—place that the eager hand of Man cannot fully tame.”

“Well, we’ve certainly hit our share of untamed wilds,” Benzan agreed. “Although when this is over, I think I’m going to spend a lot of time in ‘civilization,’ preferably in a place where a little gold goes a long way toward satisfying one’s comforts, and where strange monsters aren’t constantly trying to kill you.”

They laughed again, but Lok suddenly shot up, his eyes wide.

“What is it?” Cal asked, reaching for a wand as he too stood.

Lok shook his head, a look of confusion on his face. “Something… familiar…”

“By the gods…” Dana said, staring at the wall just behind the genasi.

They all saw it, a wispy white form that drifted through the wall and faced them. Its features were clearly outlined as those of an elderly dwarf, clad in an elaborate suit of plate armor that failed to hide the deep, bleeding gashes in its torso. Runnels of “blood” ran down its body, to fall away in drops that faded into insubstantiality as they parted from its ghostly form. A great sadness shone in the eyes of the dwarven spirit, but that emotion was edged by a deep, abiding anger as it looked upon them.

“Who are you, to intrude upon the halls of the urdunnir?” the spirit spoke, its weightless form shifting slightly as it drifted slowly closer.

Lok spun and looked upon the spirit in surprise. His axe came up reflexively, but Cal forestalled him as he stepped forward to face the thing.

“We do not mean to intrude,” Cal said. “We only come seeking the fate of your people, of which Lok here…”

“You lie!” the spirit shrieked, reaching for the large axe slung across its back. “You seek to destroy the urdunnir! The Shield Wall is broken, and enemies are within the halls! You will die for coming here!”

The spirit started toward them. Dana raised her holy symbol and invoked the power of Selûne, but the white glow of divine power failed to affect the ghost. It came forward, raising its axe as it neared Lok. The genasi reflexively swept his axe out in defense, but it passed harmlessly through the body of the spirit. The dwarven ghost did not strike at Lok in return, instead passing right into the body of the warrior. Lok’s body convulsed as the ghost disappeared entirely into his body, and then he sagged hard against the wall of the chamber as if struck.

Then he turned to face his companions, and a strange glow burned in his eyes.

The frost-rimmed axe came slowly up as the genasi took a step toward them.

Maldur

First Post
As promised:

WOW! We want more :)

LB: I did read the other parts, but I have a feeling more will be revealed.

btw your cliffhangers are getting nerve wrecking.

Lazybones

Adventurer
NWN update: I have been playing the game extensively since it came out last week, and having a lot of fun with both the single player and multiplayer components. I've written one module entitled "The Great Fens" (just two areas, although one is 16x16) and run it online three times so far. I'm currently working on another module with more areas and more NPCs which I should be ready to playtest this week. Anyone wanting to play in one of my games should look for my [EN] prefix and the name Lazybones on the module name. Although I cannot commit fully at this point (although eventually I intend to have a "regular" game with recurring players), at the moment I'm planning on running The Great Fens adventure again at 7p.m. Pacific Time. It takes about 30 mins-1 hour to play. Look for me online!

LB

Book V, Part 7

“Damn it,” Benzan cursed, drawing his sword and stepping back warily as the spirit-possessed Lok took another step closer, stepping tentatively as if it was slowly adjusting to the process of walking again in a mortal form. “I know all dwarves are stubborn, but this stupid ghost can’t even tell that we’re not duergar…”

“Yeah, nice diplomacy, Benzan,” Dana said as an aside, cutting him off as she moved to confront the angry dwarf. “Honored Elder,” she said with a bow that didn’t quite leave her vulnerable to attack, “Please! We are not your enemies. Look closer at the body you are occupying. It is Lok, our companion and one of your people. We are not your enemies,” she repeated, keeping her tone level and her eyes fixed on those of the ghost.

Lok hesitated, and doubt crept into his eyes. “Lok?” the ghost said. He looked down at the stony hand clutching his axe, and shook his head slightly as if to clear it. “No, it is a trick…”

“No, your lordship,” Dana continued. “Look closely, and see us for what we are. Two humans—” it probably wasn’t a good idea to highlight Benzan’s ancestry right now— “a gnome, and one of your own. Lok was drawn here by the very words of Dumathoin, to rescue your people from their plight.”

“Lok…” the ghost repeated, clearly uncertain.

“We are here to help you, to help your people,” Dana insisted. “Look into the heart of the man you have possessed, and see the truth there.”

“Lok… You have returned… You have returned to us…” The genasi’s frame began to shake uncontrollably, the spirit of the dead dwarf twisted with grief as its anger faded. Then, with one last great cry, the ghost’s incorporeal form flew out of Lok’s body, retreating back through the wall before any of them could react. Lok staggered and nearly fell, but Dana was there quickly to catch him and hold him upright.

“Lok, are you all right?” she asked, as Benzan and Cal, concern writ clearly on their faces, crowded behind.

“I… I believe so,” the genasi replied. “That was… strange.”

“Were you aware of what happened?” Cal asked.

“Yeah, that you were about to attack us?” Benzan added.

“He wasn’t in control,” Dana said reprovingly.

“I’m sorry,” Lok said. “Dana’s right… I couldn’t seem to do anything with my body, although I could feel, and see what was happening. There was… something… familiar about that spirit… I think perhaps that I knew him, in life.”

“Any idea of what that thing wanted?” Benzan asked. “Other than to kill us, of course.”

“Ghosts often form out of some great trauma,” Cal explained, “some sense of duty left unfulfilled. Clearly this ghost was a leader of the urdunnir, his desire to protect his people rooting him here in undeath rather than letting him pass quietly into the afterlife. I wouldn’t be surprised if the presence of the ghouls and ghasts was somehow connected to his presence here as well.”

“Well, what should we do? I’d just as soon not meet up with him again.”

“Agreed. Let’s be gone from this place—we’ll find a place to rest outside of the boundaries of the town.”

“I remember that there’s a large fortification that marks the border between the town and the rest of the Underdark,” Lok said, “the ‘Shield Wall’ that the ghost spoke of. Beyond that lies the dark ways, where danger lurks in every shadow.”

“Quiet poetic, Lok,” Benzan said. “But do you think you can find us a quiet place where we can catch our breaths before moving on?”

The genasi nodded, and they quickly gathered up their possessions, unspiked the door, and headed back out into the deserted dwarven town. The quiet now seemed oppressive, and even though they did not hear any more threatening noises they were extra alert as they made their way quickly through the wide corridors.

It did not take them long to reach the fortification that Lok had spoken of. The Shield Wall wasn’t a wall in the traditional sense, but rather a complex of interlocking rooms at the edge of the urdunnir complex that culminated in a wide but shallow chamber broken by a pair of massive stone portals. The great doors now stood open, breached by some great force, one of them half-sundered with huge chunks of its thickness laid out in rubble before the looming threshold. Beyond the doors lay a darkness that seemed to resist the probing rays of their light. To either side of the doors stood a stone rampart, perhaps fifteen feet high, that provided access to a series of narrow slits that were closed with metal shutters. They could see that defenders on the ramparts would have a clear view of anyone approaching the doors through the slits, and that the shutters could be opened to allow them to fire upon intruders at little risk to themselves.

An impressive defense. Except that it had clearly not been enough to stop the duergar from broaching the wall and destroying the town, in the end.

For a moment, they just stood there in that last chamber, each caught up in private thoughts about what they had seen and what might lie ahead for them beyond those doors. Whoever or whatever had sundered those doors had been powerful enough to take out an entire clan of dwarves, a community that had been all too familiar with the dangers of life deep under the surface of the earth. Now it was just the four of them, advanced in power and skill, perhaps, but very much alone in this foreign place.

They exchanged a look, a look that said much without words. Then, finally, moving as one, they turned and walked through the dark opening.

Into the Underdark.

Maldur

First Post
That was close !

NWN: When Horacio is back from vacation, we would like you to run a game on a more "european" time :)

oh and WOW! we want more !

great story (like always)

Lazybones

Adventurer
Maldur said:
NWN: When Horacio is back from vacation, we would like you to run a game on a more "european" time :)

Hmmm... I'm at Pacific Standard, and you're in continental Europe... that's a nine hour difference, if I'm not mistaken (though we're on that crazy Daylight Savings Time thing... that puts us an hour earlier).

Maybe I can run a Sunday morning game sometime, for my European readers. Last night I started my second module, "Vorlag's Ruin." So far they are heavy on exploration and combat, light on NPCs and story (I'll put in more of the latter as I get more familiar with the toolset and scripting language). Do you guys have the game yet there?

Sorry readers, no story update today. In addition to my burgeoning NWN addiction, I haven't had as much time to write lately for other reasons. I'm going to try for three updates a week for the time being: still better than most story hours!

Thanks for reading,
LB

Remove ads