• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Travels through the Wild West: Books V-VIII (Epilogue)

What should be Delem's ultimate fate?

• Let him roast--never much liked him anyway.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Once they reach a high enough level, his friends launch a desperate raid into the Abyss to recover h

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • He returns as a villain, warped by his exposure to the Abyss.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I\\\'ve got another idea... (comment in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Lazybones

Adventurer
Heh-- I guess I overestimated the level of anticipation of my readership, as only five people read the above post since I put it up this morning. Ah, well. Those reading now can ignore that post, for this afternoon I found a stray hour, and this came out of my keyboard...

Book V, Part 30

“Come on, then!”

The Avatar of Tiamat regarded the genasi with a withering stare from its five heads. For an instant Lok stared fully into the eyes of a god, and although he nearly staggered from the impact of that stare, he managed somehow to hold his ground. Then the red dragon-head came fully up, and from its eyes twin beams of black, roiling energy blasted into Lok’s chest. The connection between the two lasted only an instant, over and done so quickly that an eyeblink would have been enough to miss it.

But that instant was enough, for Lok. He cried out, a cry of heart-wrenching despair as the god reached into him and touched the very essence of his being where his soul resided. Then he stiffened, and in the next heartbeat collapsed into a limp heap.

“Noooo!” Dana cried, but neither she nor the others could do anything to intervene. The Avatar’s draconic heads seemed to smile as it came nearer, the stone floor under them shaking with each monstrous step…

A single sound shattered the deadly scene, the sound of metal striking stone that filled the chamber like a thunderclap. With that sound, the companions felt the magic binding them dissolve, and as their straining muscles gave way they fell clumsily to the cold stone of the cavern floor. Confused, the three of them looked back behind them to the source of the sound.

A dwarf stood there in the entry of the chamber, a familiar face that was now garbed in an expression that oddly seemed to mix sadness and anger.

“Athumba!” Cal cried.

The ancient dwarf carried a thick, gnarled staff in his wrinkled hands—where it had come from they could only guess, as he hadn’t had it the last time they’d seen him. Once more he slammed its butt end into the ground, repeating the sound that they’d heard earlier.

He’d clearly gotten Tiamat’s attention, for all five of the dragon mother’s heads were now fully focused on him, the companions all but forgotten as they huddled between the two figures. Forcing her battered and still reluctant muscles to obey her commands, Dana crawled to where Lok was lying just a few paces from one of the Avatar’s massive claws.

“You…” the god-dragon hissed, the words coming from all five heads at once in a disturbing cacophony. What was even more jarring was at the same instant as the spoken sound each of the companions felt the words in their minds, roughly thrusting their own private thoughts to the side in the full force of the god’s power.

And this was only a physical manifestation of the god, only a partial reflection of all that it truly was.

“You have no business being here!” the Avatar continued, its physical and mental voices filling the cavern much like the echo from the dwarf’s staff.

Athumba spoke simply and plainly in a calm and determined voice. “I have as much right as you, ancient enemy. Did you think that your coming to the Prime would escape notice?”

The dragon did not reply in words, but in the echoes of its mental voice in their minds the companions could hear laughter. “No, I knew that one would come, and it is only fitting that it is you, my old adversary. Though you did not intervene when Gilgeam needed your aid, did you?”

“It was not my place,” the old dwarf replied. “For I never was bound up in the affairs of the Untherics as tightly as you were.”

“No, and for that I missed the chance to destroy both of my most hated foes in one fell swoop. Perhaps mighty AO may give us another chance, someday…”

“You seek another Time of Troubles? A mad wish, even for you.”

“Perhaps, although there is still some small part of me that remembers my mortal life, before my ascension into what I now am. But that part of me that is divine Tiamat remembers what was lost, that part of my divine essence that was stolen from me. I seek only restoration of my full measure; I will not be deprived of what is rightfully mine. I will that I am, and I am that I will. Neither you nor your lackeys will stand in my way!”

“You overestimate yourself.”

“And you underestimate me! Here you are without advantage, and I am not unprepared for your challenge!”

“Nor am I. And I am not the only one that you have offended with your plans here.”

With those words, Lok suddenly shifted slightly, causing Dana to draw back in sudden surprise. With ponderous but inexorable movements the genasi warrior rose to a crouch, and then stood, his axe still clutched tightly in his hand.

“Lok!” Dana breathed in wonder. But when he had lifted himself enough for her to look into his eyes, she saw something… else than the presence of her friend.

Tiamat apparently saw it too, for the dragon’s heads hissed in agitation and anger. “You! You are nothing but a feeble shadow, Old Dwarf. I will make you regret coming here…”

Lok spoke, and his voice too was unfamiliar, a rumbling sound of rocks grating together that seemed to come from a vast cavern deep inside his body. “And I will make you regret the harm you have caused to my people, lizard.”

“This is your final opportunity,” Athumba said. “Desist and depart immediately, or accept the consequences of your choice.”

For an instant—a long time, in the minds of gods—the Avatar seemed to hesitate. But then the chromatic dragon drew itself up to its full height, the others mere specks before it, its terrible and mighty presence filling the cavern with the full power of its being.

“Too long I have waited! You will not stand in my way!”

Later, when they had time to reflect on the matter, the three mortals present and conscious would not be able to clearly describe what happened next, although Cal would spend a goodly portion of his future days trying. The “battle” that took place in the dark cavern lasted all of a few seconds, at least as time was measured on the Material Plane. The best that those present could do was to describe impressions, fleeting glimpses of things that were beyond their perceptions. The image of Tiamat was a familiar one, even more dreadful in the full force of its ambition and frustration and rage. Superimposed on this image was the shadow of an aged dwarf warrior, still potent for all his years, wielding a hammer whose blows carried the force to crack the very foundations of the world. And a final image, a majestic and beautiful dragon, its smooth lines forming an outline of platinum perfection, its eyes holding in them the wisdom of a thousand eras.

The brief clash of gods resounded throughout the world of Toril. Thousands of miles away mortal beings cried out in their slumber, and in the great cities above and below the surface of the earth powerful mages and clerics felt a shudder in the world and wondered at what it portended.

On the myriad outer planes, gods turned their many-seeing eyes momentarily toward the struggle. Some watched with keen interest in the outcome, while others simply viewed the event as a brief distraction before returning to more particular concerns.

And then it was over. The three mortal companions stirred, momentarily confused before memory awoke and realization came flooding back.

The cavern was empty save for them and the unconscious forms of the slaves of the duergar, a gathering of hundreds of bodies as still as a mass grave. But in this place of darkness life still clung tenaciously, and the dreams of those silent figures were no longer tormented by the chill touch of torment and death.

But while the urdunnir and the other captives lived, death had claimed one other upon this battlefield of gods. The three companions gathered around the body of their fallen friend, lying motionless upon the cold, unforgiving stone.

Lok, the warrior genasi, was dead.

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Woah!

LB -

Powerful and somewhat unexpected ending (at least you don't get too attached to your characters;))! Congrats on the NWN honor, when do we get to sign up for a game?

~ Old One

Talon

First Post
Damn LB,
You did it again! What a great book.
The Party has lost their Mage, and now their frontline Fighter. How will they survive the next events of thier lives?

I can't wait to see what you do in your next installment.

Chris

Lazybones

Adventurer
Heh heh... just a quick note that there was no "End of Book V" in the last post. The Epilogue will be forthcoming in the next few days (and yes, it will largely focus on Lok's fate).

Thanks again for all your feedback. This latest book had its ups and downs but I enjoyed writing it.

Old One: I run all my Neverwinter Nights games at Neverwinter Connections, feel free to PM me there if you want to join one of my games. I've had a lot of fun with other ENWorlders (LightPhoenix, Farganger, Bagpuss, and a few others have made appearances in my games there), and I'll always save a chair for Mr. Faded Glory!

Krellic

Explorer
Excellent stuff, a well written and well paced story. After teasing us with a series of RBDM cliffhangers I must compliment you on a masterful climax. I'm sure Lok's role in this epic is not over, though I doubt mere resurrection will be enough.

I trust your players are enjoying this campaign as much as your readers...
:cool:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Oh, ye of little faith... :D

Book V, Epilogue

Gradually, the warrior stirred back into awareness. Memory and perception were still clouded, but slowly the fog around him dissolved until he once again felt himself as a tangible presence, and the space around him as a tangible locale.

He was in a cavern, the same sort of place that he dimly recalled leaving—when? It was all so confusing. But this place was very different than that dark place, that was immediately clear. The atmosphere here was cozy and inviting, not stark and cold.

He turned around slowly, getting used to the feel of his body again. To one side of the cavern stood a banked forge, surrounded by shelves and racks holding hundreds of tools, a variety of stock metals in neat piles, and a display rack holding numerous completed or semi-completed weapons and pieces of armor.

The warrior felt drawn to that display, the amazing quality of the work evident even from a distance, but he forced himself to continue his visual exploration of the place.

The other end of the cavern had been decorated as a comfortable, if spartan, living space. A cold hearth resided in one wall, near which stood a large chair fashioned of simple slabs of unadorned stone. Thick rugs made from the fur of various huge beasts covered the floor near that seat, and shelves carved into the very rock of the walls held a plethora of diverse items, knickknacks that all had in common the obvious signs of patient and skilled craftsmanship. Some were made of wood or stone or clay, but others looked as though they had been fashioned from precious metals, silver and gold and platinum and other, unfamiliar metals. Even a casual examination of the hundreds of displayed items would fill days, the warrior decided, as he took it all in.

Several exits offered other areas to explore, but the warrior found himself drawn to the comfortable space near the hearth, until he found himself standing before the great stone chair.

A sound alerted him that he was no longer alone. Reflexively his hand darted to the haft of a weapon that was no longer there. Belatedly he realized that he wasn’t wearing his armor, either, only a simple robe of course brown cloth.

The newcomer was an ancient dwarf, his features somehow familiar, his face a maze of canyons and ridges and his beard a thick white cascade that ran down his chest to well below his belt. The light of a forge-fire seemed to dance in his eyes, but he looked tired, battered down, as he entered the cavern. His expression didn’t change as he looked upon Lok, but the smile in his eyes was plain to see.

“Ah, me boy. So at last you have returned.”

“What is this place?” the warrior asked.

“It is a chamber of secrets,” the old dwarf said, as he crossed to the stone chair and wearily sank into it. “A fitting place, perhaps, for me—once the keeper of secrets, rapidly becoming a well-kept secret himself.”

“I don’t understand.”

“No, no.” The old dwarf sagged in the chair, and for a moment he looked truly ancient. But his eyes still glowed as he fixed them on the warrior.

“It is not yet time. You have accomplished much, but you are not ready. Bahamut helped me to bring you here, and for that I am now doubly indebted to the Draconis Nobilis. But as much as I would like to keep you here with me, you must return to the Prime, must complete the forging of your destiny. Your companions have need of you, and you and they will have much yet to do…”

The warrior just stood there, not fully comprehending. The fog that hung over his thoughts was still there, although he sensed that complete understanding lay just beneath the surface, almost within his reach.

“So I send ye back into the world, my Lok, as a defender of the urdunnir and those others that need thy aid. I send you not as a missionary, for my star has already passed its zenith, and even now descends swiftly toward its nadir. But you, who have walked the many diverse pathways of the world, will not make the same mistakes that I made… That is my hope, my son.”

As if the speaking of his name had finally cleared away the cobwebs in his mind, Lok regarded the old dwarf with amazement. “Dumathoin…”

But the old dwarf was already leaning forward, and as he placed his gnarled hand on the warrior’s forehead a light flared where their skin touched. “I have little power left to me, but I grant you what blessing I may yet possess. Go, and uncover the treasures that lie within your being!”

And once again Lok was swallowed up in the Void.

Back in the dark place far under Toril’s sunlit surface, three companions gathered in a silent vigil of shared sadness. Around them some of the duergars’ captives were beginning to stir, waking from their own nightmare, and soon they would need the assistance of the battered companions. But for the moment, the three friends clung briefly to a time that was theirs alone, pooling their grief in a silent unity.

Dana was crying, clinging to the supportive embrace of Benzan. The tiefling looked confused, uncertain what to do or how to feel as a cascade of emotions came and went in his expression. And Cal just looked stricken, as if a part of him had been torn away with the loss of his friend.

Finally, Dana pulled back, and the movement seemed to shatter the holy stillness of the moment. Cal crouched beside the fallen form of the warrior, and whispered a quiet message.

“Farewell, my friend.”

“Maybe we can bring him back,” Benzan said. “We brought you back, Cal… Dana, maybe you could…”

The priestess nodded, and Cal forced a smile at the suggestion. Both knew what Benzan didn’t, that Lok had been struck down by a god, and that it might not be as easy as casting a spell…

Or maybe Benzan did know, but was unwilling to release whatever small hope they could still cling to.

“We’ll bring him back with us,” Cal said, turning away from the corpse. “But first, we have a job to do, the job that Lok brought us here to do.” He looked out over the gathering of creatures, mostly Lok’s people, some of which were now groaning as they stirred from their unnatural slumber.

Getting them out was going to be a challenge, they all recognized. Even if the duergar were well and truly beaten, which itself was not a certainty. Their thoughts traveled back to the many dangers of the Underdark that they had traversed to get here, and which they would have to face again with a small army behind them… no, that was the wrong word, as one glance at the weak and emaciated forms that surrounded them told them.

As these dark thoughts warred with their grief a sudden gasp from behind drew them around, and as they turned each of them stiffened and stood there in shocked amazement, unable to speak.

Lok stirred, opened his eyes, and then slowly, gingerly, rose to a sitting position. He reached out and grasped his axe, which lay next to him, then looked up at his companions.

“Greetings, my friends.”

END OF BOOK V

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads