D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Everything Xanathar

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Excellent guide.

Personally I'm playing a Hexblade, started around level 7, currently level 13. It's almost embarrassing just how good it is, and I've actually got a couple of things that have never come into play (Accursed Specter, and Soul Cage spell). As a full caster, I'm not quite as good as the party Wizard, but the two of us pack a lot of punch in the tough fights. As a fighter, which is my main thing, I feel like I'm just as potent as the Fighter and the Monk, even if I don't use any spells. I have enough skills especially Cha-based ones. So really, I'm in danger of being that annoying PC who can do everything. I'm going to multi-class to Paladin from 14+, which I think will kick things to yet another level of power, as far as melee goes - scary stuff.

Obviously, any Warlock is somewhat dependent on the campaign/DM style, as far as long rests vs short rests goes - for me, I actually try and push things forward sometimes, rather than be that annoying player who wants a short rest all the time... a Hexblade doesn't need spells all the time, they are essentially a Fighter who can also put out some uber-spells from time to time - bordering on OP, IMO; as I say, it's almost embarrassing to be as good as the other fighter-types, and also as good as the spell-slingers (in short bursts). In the game I'm playing in, we're running around the outer planes, so it's been difficult to find Humanoids to kill - not a problem, just saying that over many levels of play, I still have loads of stuff I've only ever used once or even never, and he's still arguably the most powerful and versatile character in the group - just hitting stuff with his sword, he's a really good fighter type, then he's got options for spells, and other powers, that are like really good icing on a great cake. Oh, and loads of flavour, if bad-boy types are your thing.

I've also got a player in the game I run who's a Rogue/Hexblade, now level 7; to me it's not as focused as a pure Hexblade, maybe built for the long-run? I dunno, to me Warlock has loads of options already, multi-classing adds more options but do you really need them?

So in my experience, Hexblade is definitely a better Gish than the Eldritch Knight (which I played from 1-7+ before swapping to Hexblade). Multi-classing might be useful, but isn't necessary, and personally I'd run straight Hexblade until you find the future abilities are not very exciting, or (like mine) you find your high level spells are making you too much of a Sorcerer and so multi-classing channels the power-ups into your melee capabilities, allowing the real spell casters to have their own place to shine.

Thanks you for your post. The idea of a Gish is to use your magic to enhance your fighting (and your point about multi-classing is excellent). So a few questions:

1: Given the very limited number of spell slots as a hexblade, what do you do to "power up" you swordfighting?
2: I'm asking that because without that, the other fighter-types should be able to outfight you...
3: Have you looked into college of sword instead of paladin?

hastur_nz

First Post
Thanks you for your post. The idea of a Gish is to use your magic to enhance your fighting (and your point about multi-classing is excellent). So a few questions:

1: Given the very limited number of spell slots as a hexblade, what do you do to "power up" you swordfighting?
2: I'm asking that because without that, the other fighter-types should be able to outfight you...
3: Have you looked into college of sword instead of paladin?

Hexblade's Curse. I'm a scourge Aasimar, so Radiant Consumption can be decent. I have a number of the Smite spells, but don't actually use them much. Thirsting Blade is a no-brainer for 2 attacks. Lifedrinker. And of course I've got Agonizing Blast for Eldritch Blast at range. We don't often have loads of fights between short rests, which helps a lot of course.

The point isn't that I'm a BAMF as far as pure melee damage output goes, but that I'm about as good as most especially given some of the defensive capabilities on tap, and also have so many other warlock powers as well as being a full caster, which no-one else does.

Multi-classing into Bard makes no sense for my character - he grew up as a Bounty Hunter, had the Raven Queen as his Patron but recent found out he was duped, so he's now turned to Erythnul, so will become a Paladin of Vengance with Erythnul as his Patron and God. Smite all who get in his way...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hexblade's Curse. I'm a scourge Aasimar, so Radiant Consumption can be decent. I have a number of the Smite spells, but don't actually use them much. Thirsting Blade is a no-brainer for 2 attacks. Lifedrinker. And of course I've got Agonizing Blast for Eldritch Blast at range. We don't often have loads of fights between short rests, which helps a lot of course.

The point isn't that I'm a BAMF as far as pure melee damage output goes, but that I'm about as good as most especially given some of the defensive capabilities on tap, and also have so many other warlock powers as well as being a full caster, which no-one else does.
I'm... a bit confused. Of course an invocation to get a 2nd attack is needed... but that is something every other fighting class get.

Your defence can be powered up by the shield spell but that only last a round and you only have 2-3 slots. And lifedrinker is only available at level 12. Lastly the curse is great, but it only affects a single target...

Radiant consumption isn't a class ability so it's a bit besides the point.

This is what bothers me - the hex blade was supposed, I think, to fix the warlock as a gish and it only made it a better muticlassing dip...

Last edited:

You have medium armour and a shield, and probably +2 from dex, which makes base AC similar to most fighters and paladins - before you cast Shield.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You have medium armour and a shield, and probably +2 from dex, which makes base AC similar to most fighters and paladins - before you cast Shield.
But that isn't really much is it? You are a 2nd rate warrior who can cast shield sometimes, burning up your precious few slots. An Eldritch knight does it far better...

But that isn't really much is it? You are a 2nd rate warrior who can cast shield sometimes, burning up your precious few slots. An Eldritch knight does it far better...

An Eldrich knight has even fewer spell slots*, needs an additional feat in order to cast shield whilst holding a shield, and doesn't get +1 weapon on demand. But a lot depends on outside factors, like how generous the DM is with magic weapons and short rests.

And EK suffers from MAD if it wants to use offensive spells.

Edit: *Okay, not always true. In an adventuring day at level 10 EK gets 4 1st level and 3 2nd, whilst the hexblade gets 6, all at level 5.

Last edited:

Deejay McBride

First Post
I honestly think you are selling Divine Soul a little short. I played one at lvl 14 for a few games and found it bonkers good.

What makes it great is that it can use metamagic feats on cleric spells. This opens up a lot of options, and I found distant spell to be one of the more common metamagic feats I used. Distant Contagion. Distant Heal.

The biggest weakness I found was the lack of armor. The low AC and HP really hurt. 5 skeleton archers taking fire at me was a big problem. They took out nearly 15% of my HP in one round.

The next time I run one, I'll dip a level into hexblade. This will give medium armor, shields, CHA with a weapon, 4 first level spells, and hexblade curse. Honestly for a 1 level dip, that's really nice.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm... a bit confused. Of course an invocation to get a 2nd attack is needed... but that is something every other fighting class get.

Your defence can be powered up by the shield spell but that only last a round and you only have 2-3 slots. And lifedrinker is only available at level 12. Lastly the curse is great, but it only affects a single target...

Radiant consumption isn't a class ability so it's a bit besides the point.

This is what bothers me - the hex blade was supposed, I think, to fix the warlock as a gish and it only made it a better muticlassing dip...
I would say Hexblade 1/Swords X is probably better overall, because Bard is overall one of the best classes in the game, and Hexblade 1 is probably the best dip in the game. (Second best is Hexblade 2.) :)

But, Hexblade single class does have some advantages. The relative utility of single class hexblade depends on how much you value them.

1) Faster spell and feat progression. Being a spell level above at 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. isn't a huge deal, but it isn't nothing. Likewise, being one level ahead for feats doesn't hurt, especially if your game progresses relatively slowly.

2) Short rest versus long rest. If your game features lots of short rests relative to long rests, warlock becomes more attractive, even with Swords bards getting more BI dice. I'd rather have two top level spells over 5 BI dice.

3) High level warlock spells and invocations. Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, Lifedrinker, Tomb of Levistus are all warlock only, and all are very good boosts to offense a Sword bard isn't going to get. Likewise, Shadow of Moil(!), Hunger of Hadar, Banishment, Hunger of Hadar, and Cone of Cold are all spells the Warlock has access to that the Sword bard would have to spend his two precious magical secrets on, and not until level 11.

My next character is going to be a level 8 Hexblade, and I thought long and hard about going Hexblade 1/Swords 7 instead. But being able to pull off the Shadow of Moil/Elven Accuracy/Greatweapon Master combo right at level 8 was simply too tempting.

Remove ads