• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure Discussion: AD&D1, D&D3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what all this talk of fiendishly hidden treasure reminds me of?

Nodwick style antics of having a henchman carry off everything that isn't securely bolted down (or if it's bolted down, can't be ripped off and carried away). Or Knights of the Dinner Table antics of stripping an entire dungeon down to the walls, double checking the walls, and having everything hauled off for appraisal and evalutation later, and the end of an adventure being more like an archaeological dig through everything to find the treasure than anything else.

By the book, a lot of that treasure was hidden, and many groups may have blown right by it, but others would have been fiendishly methodical, gutting every creature they found, scouring every pile of detrius for possible magic items, interrogating any survivors about the location of their treasure, and hauling anything of possible value off.

It meant that the actual treasure in play had a huge range of variation, in most of the AD&D games I played in, a single +1 Sword was a big find (and they were so incredibly hard to make that no PC mage would ever want to make a magic item, except maybe a few potions or scrolls at great cost), while others would play games where they'd all come back from dungeons with literally wagons laden with enchanted loot.

What D&D 3e gave us was a baseline of expectations that was much higher than the low end of what came before, but was a little below the upper end of what came before. Therefore to many people it looks like a huge jump in magical power, but to others it looks like it has always been like this.

The Shaman

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Two of the biggest complaints that people make about 3e compared to AD&D are that 3e gives out too much magic and 3e lets PCs level up too fast. But as Quasqueton has shown, those complaints are without merit.
Not entirely - the relative ubiquity of magic shops and the generous item creation rules in 3e have a big effect on the amount of magic available to a party of adventurers, creating a potentially significant difference between 1e and 3e characters of comparable experience.

Algolei

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
So when the AD&D1 characters hit 15th level, the D&D3 characters may be hitting 20th level. I'm interested to see if this hypothesis holds out when the data reaches those levels.
What modules can we look forward to seeing you dissect, Q? :cool:

IcyCool

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Two of the biggest complaints that people make about 3e compared to AD&D are that 3e gives out too much magic and 3e lets PCs level up too fast. But as Quasqueton has shown, those complaints are without merit.

I've heard about the leveling fast thing, and I never really understood that. But as far as too much magic, my understanding of the complaint is that the 3E CR system pretty much requires that the PCs have a certain amount of treasure.

The Shaman said:
Not entirely - the relative ubiquity of magic shops and the generous item creation rules in 3e have a big effect on the amount of magic available to a party of adventurers, creating a potentially significant difference between 1e and 3e characters of comparable experience.
Good point.

What's interesting about both 1e and 3e is that money, in and of itself, doesn't do you any good. In 1e you convert it directly into XP (by gaining XP per GP and by training), and in 3e you use it to buy stuff, which then allows you to more easily gain XP. :) But just a big pile of gold has no game-mechanical benefit, in either edition.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
The Shaman said:

There is no "ubiquity of magic shops" in 3e. The difference is that it is assumed that NPCs will sell magic items as well as buy them. (I always thought it remarkably odd that the AD&D DMG listed a gold value for each magic item and that NPCs would generally pay half of that but that no NPCs were ever willing to sell their magic items).

This need not entail a "magic shop" and can be as complex or as simple as the players and DM like. (Neverwinter Nights and the Temple of Elemental Evil computer games both offer interesting case studies in this: in the first game, there are lots of magic items available for sale in nearly every shop--but they will still generally be appropriate to the locale: the temple of Tyr will sell healing potions, weapons usable by clerics, and some armor; the armorsmith will sell lots of weapons and armor, and the wizard's guild will sell potions scrolls and wands. In the Temple of Elemental Evil computer game, on the other hand, there are also some magic items for sale, but they are few and somewhat far between. The temple of St. Cuthbert has some healing potions, scrolls, and a +1 holy mace but that's it. The pirate's tavern in Nulb sells a cloak of resistance +1, +2 and +4 gloves of dex, +1 ring of protection, and lesser bracers of archery, but that's it. The blacksmith in Hommlet doesn't have any magic that I recall and the smith in Nulb has a few +1 weapons but that's it. Curiously, both probably fit within the 3e gp limit etc guidelines because the setting of ToEE is much smaller while Neverwinter is a fair sized city. However, neither setting really has simple "magic shops" per se (though NWN comes close)).

Algolei

Explorer
Joshua Randall said:
What's interesting about both 1e and 3e is that money, in and of itself, doesn't do you any good. In 1e you convert it directly into XP (by gaining XP per GP and by training), and in 3e you use it to buy stuff, which then allows you to more easily gain XP. :) But just a big pile of gold has no game-mechanical benefit, in either edition.
In 1e, one of my characters killed a robber using a sack of coins. (That's probably not edition-specific, although I guess in 3e it could have been non-lethal damage, I'm not really sure....)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Kid Charlemagne said:
Not per se, but there were treasure guidelines for specific monsters, (Dragons=type "H", for example) and those monsters were only appropriate for PC's of certain levels. So you ended up at the same place, but by different means.

Not quite.

I've just been creating a AD&D adventure for nostalgia purposes, and I created two groups of enemies:

30 Orcs in lair. Treasure: none. (oh, I think each has 2d4 gp or suchlike)

20 Bandits in lair. Treasure: 2,000 gp. 4 gems (100 gp each). 3 jewelry (1,200 gp; 5,000 gp; 10,000 gp). Total treasure value : 18,600 gp.

This is for a first level adventure! I adjusted treasure values/quantities downwards by 1/5 (as there were about 1/5 of the bandits from the mean number), but it's still an awful lot of treasure.

As you might expect, I then modified it downwards further.

Another big difference between 1e & 3e is in the magic item treasure tables. In 1e, you could pick up a vorpal sword at any time. 3e splits the tables into minor/medium/major.

Cheers!

The Shaman

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
There is no "ubiquity of magic shops" in 3e. The difference is that it is assumed that NPCs will sell magic items as well as buy them.
And that was my entire point, wrapped up in a convenient shorthand that (most) gamers would understand without detailed explication.

Quasqueton

First Post
Mid levels. . .
AD&D1

Party begins at: (39,539 xp each)
Fighter 6
Paladin 5
Cleric 6
Magic-User 5 (99% of 6)
Illusionist 6
Thief 6

The Temple of Elemental Evil - Dungeon Level 3

Total gp value: 183,279 (plus 9 random gems and 2 random jewelry)

Total xp value: 229,744

Total magic treasure:
+3 periapt of proof against poison
+3 crossbow bolts (x5)
+2 javelin
+2 shield
+2 spear, backbiter
+1 chainmail
+1 shield
+1 battle axe
+1 short sword (x2)
+1 longbow
+1 leather armor
elfin chainmail (technically, not magical)
crossbow of speed (missing string)
bracers of defense AC 6 [+4 AC] (x2)
belt of holding (special)
boots of elvenkind (small)
cloak of elvenkind
expanding/shrinking storage box (special)
rod of protection against turning and control (special)
cloak of poisonousness
necklace with one pebble evoking an Otiluke's freezing sphere (special)
ring of delusion (seems like x-ray vision)
tome of leadership and influence
vacuous grimoire
ebony fly
crystal hypnosis ball
ring of invisibility
mirror of mental prowess
wand of lightning (5-50 charges)
wand of wonder (50 charges)
potions: plant control, red dragon control, hill giant strength, dimunition, healing, delusion (seems like treasure finding), speed, ESP, flying, sweetwater, polymorphing
scroll of protection from undead
scroll of protection from magic
magic-user scroll spells: spider-climb, levitate, infravision, extension I, gust of wind, tongues, polymorph self, remove curse, airy water, limited wish, magic mouth, fly, charm person, polymorph other, (plus 7 more spells, randomly determined)
magic-user's spell book with 97 spell levels (up to 5th)
cleric scroll spells: animate dead, raise dead, restoration
incense of meditation (x6)

Party continues at: (77,829 xp each)
Fighter 7
Paladin 6
Cleric 7
Magic-User 7
Illusionist 7
Thief 8

The Temple of Elemental Evil - Dungeon Level 4

Total gp value: 450,751

Total xp value: 504,835

Total magic treasure:
+3 plate mail
+3 shield
+3 sling stone (permanent)
+2 hammer
+2 shield
+2 ring of protection
+1 plate mail
bracers of defense AC 3 [+7 AC]
bracers of defense AC 4 [+6 AC]
staff of striking
ebony fly (cursed after 7 uses)
stone of controlling earth elementals
potions: extra healing (x2), speed (x2), healing, growth, (29 random), flying, polymorphing, climbing, invisibility
boots of levitation
ring of fire resistance
rope of entanglement
portable hole
cloak of poisonousness
mirror of lifetrapping (1 compartment)
ring of featherfall
book of vile darkness
ring of free action
rod of smiting
Daern's instant fortress
wand of fear (unknown charges)
wand of ice storms (42 charges)
wand of fire (unknown charges)
wand of metal command (21 charges)
half a candle of invocation
candle of invocation (chaotic evil)
Magic-user spellbook with 20 spell levels (up to 2nd)
Magic-user spellbook with 69 spell levels (up to 5th)
cleric scroll spells: silence 15' radius (x2), dispel magic (x2), cure critical wounds (x2), flamestrike (x2), slay living (x2)

Party ends at: (161,968 xp each)
Fighter 8
Paladin 7
Cleric 8
Magic-User 9
Illusionist 9
Thief 10

D&D3

Party begins at: (18,275 xp each)
Fighter 6
Cleric 6
Wizard 6
Rogue 6

Speaker in Dreams

Total gp value: 14,450

Total xp value: 68,638

Total magic treasure:
+1 shocking heavy flail
+1 bracers of armor (x4)
+1 battle axe
+1 ring of protection (x2)
+1 morning star
+1 cloak of resistance
+1 dire flail
+1 longsword
+1 rapier
screaming bolts (x5)
ring of force shield
boots of elvenkind
rope of climbing
phylactery of faithfulness
wand of detect magic (unknown charges)
pearl of power (1st level)
dust of tracelessness (x2)
pipes of the sewers
wand of burning hands (unknown charges)
wand of color spray (unknown charges)
dust of appearance
wand of shocking grasp (unknown charges)
wand of magic missiles (5th level, 17 charges)
ring of jumping
wand of light (unknown charges)
brooch of shielding
slippers of spider climb
potions: heroism, darkvision (x2), glibness, invisibility (x2), ghoul touch, hiding (x2), cat's grace (x2), neutralize poison, sneak, alter self, haste, reduce (x2), cure moderate wounds, enlarge, nondetection, blur, eagle's spendor, levitate, jump, spider climb, firebreath, protection from elements (fire), (8 more that I didn't identify for being tired of writing potion names)
arcane scroll spells: summon monster I, enlarge, shield, tongues, hold person, summon monster II, mount, color spray (x2), shield (x2), change self, enlarge, sleep (x2), summon monster II
divine scroll spells: summon nature's ally

Party finishes at: (35,434 xp each)
Fighter 8
Cleric 8
Wizard 8
Rogue 8

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads