• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure Hunter help?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
phew...it's done. We usually roll our starting stats and the dice were kinda nice for this one. Here's a very quick sketch of the character at lvl 20. Didn't pick any spells or gear.

Female, Human

Rogue 7/ Wizard 8/ Spellwarp Sniper 5

Str:10
Dex:22
Con:15
Int:18
Wis:12
Cha:13

Hp: 113

Initiative: 6
Base Attacks: 12/7/2
Range B.A: 18/13/8
Grapple:12
AC:16

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic

Sneak Attack: 4d6 ( +20 from Craven Feat)
Sudden Ray Strike: 2d6

Feats:

Point Blank Shot
Craven
Scribe Scroll(Bonus)
Weapon Finesse (since she'll end up having to go melee sometimes)
Battle Caster (for a little extra protection)
Practiced Spellcaster
Split Ray (waiting to see how my DM rules this one. if both rays count as sneak attack or not. If it doesn't, might replace it with Imp Familiar)
Precise Shot
Mobile Spellcasting

Special Ab/Traits:

Sneak Attack
Trap Finding
Trap Sense
Evasion
Uncanny Dodge
Summon Familiar (didn't bother with its sheet since it's just a sketch)
Spellwarp
Sudden Ray Strike
Ray Mastery

Skills (total 231 ranks, I'm half-asleep, might have messed up the math here. Also, going to tweak these a bit for some extra Spot perhaps):

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3946/skillsyd.png

Like I said, this is a quick sketch I made while half-asleep. Feel free to offer suggestions. Cya in a while though, going to get some sleep xD

Last edited:

Veven1290

First Post
After you run out of spell warp sniper levels (it's only 5 long if memory serves) Unseen Seer is a good continuation as well. You'll wanna take practiced spell caster because while you don't actually loose caster levels, one of it's class abilities reduces them for non-divinations spells and boosts divination spells. One feat later and you just have a nice +1-3 CL boost to divinations.

xigbar

Explorer
phew...it's done. We usually roll our starting stats and the dice were kinda nice for this one. Here's a very quick sketch of the character at lvl 20. Didn't pick any spells or gear.

Female, Human

Rogue 7/ Wizard 8/ Spellwarp Sniper 5

Str:10
Dex:22
Con:15
Int:18
Wis:12
Cha:13

Hp: 113

Initiative: 6
Base Attacks: 12/7/2
Range B.A: 18/13/8
Grapple:12
AC:16

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic

Sneak Attack: 4d6 ( +20 from Craven Feat)
Sudden Ray Strike: 2d6

Feats:

Point Blank Shot
Craven
Scribe Scroll(Bonus)
Weapon Finesse (since she'll end up having to go melee sometimes)
Battle Caster (for a little extra protection)
Practiced Spellcaster
Split Ray (waiting to see how my DM rules this one. if both rays count as sneak attack or not. If it doesn't, might replace it with Imp Familiar)
Precise Shot
Mobile Spellcasting

Special Ab/Traits:

Sneak Attack
Trap Finding
Trap Sense
Evasion
Uncanny Dodge
Summon Familiar (didn't bother with its sheet since it's just a sketch)
Spellwarp
Sudden Ray Strike
Ray Mastery

Skills (total 231 ranks, I'm half-asleep, might have messed up the math here. Also, going to tweak these a bit for some extra Spot perhaps):

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3946/skillsyd.png

Like I said, this is a quick sketch I made while half-asleep. Feel free to offer suggestions. Cya in a while though, going to get some sleep xD

You won't need any points in strength. Charisma, maybe, if you plan on taking a lot party face roles, but otherwise, you could spend points furthering CON an extra hit point per level's worth. Maybe try to Int a modifier higher, to help checks to overcome spell resistance, which helpfully boosted by Spellwarp Sniper as well.

Also, I think Weapon Focus(Ray), Crossbow Sniper, and Aptitude Weapon might be nice, if I'm reading things correctly.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Well, the rolls were randomized and I just picked the best ones for the key stats, then I distributed the extra ability points we get by lvling up. Point Blank already gives +1 for dmg and atk roll, the +1 from Weapon Focus would make a big difference? As for the Crossbow Sniper, might come in handy yeah, will need a way to stay out of reach, maybe I can replace Weapon Finesse then and avoid going melee all together? Aptitude Weapon is the first time I see xD

Would Unsee Seer help that much? If I was to add a few more levels wouldn't raising the Rogue or Wiz lvls be more beneficial? Spell Sniper can turn up to lvl 5 spells into rays so it would probably be better to raise Wiz up to that point?

And thanks again for all the tips guys, I'm rly getting hyped about this character xD

xigbar

Explorer
Well, the rolls were randomized and I just picked the best ones for the key stats, then I distributed the extra ability points we get by lvling up. Point Blank already gives +1 for dmg and atk roll, the +1 from Weapon Focus would make a big difference? As for the Crossbow Sniper, might come in handy yeah, will need a way to stay out of reach, maybe I can replace Weapon Finesse then and avoid going melee all together? Aptitude Weapon is the first time I see xD

Would Unsee Seer help that much? If I was to add a few more levels wouldn't raising the Rogue or Wiz lvls be more beneficial? Spell Sniper can turn up to lvl 5 spells into rays so it would probably be better to raise Wiz up to that point?

And thanks again for all the tips guys, I'm rly getting hyped about this character xD

The reason you could use it Aptitude Weapon is (if I'm thinking of the right feat), it will let you apply sneak attack to your ray spells.

Veven1290

First Post
The reason you could use it Aptitude Weapon is (if I'm thinking of the right feat), it will let you apply sneak attack to your ray spells.

You don't need a feat to do this. You can apply sneak attack to pretty much anything that requires an attack roll (if you have a volley of rays a la Scorching Ray, the sneak attacks only apply on the first one).

It helps a lot. If you continue going only rogue you get some more class features and skill points but your caster level takes a dive and you don't learn any higher level spells. If you continue going only wizard then you get far less skill points to spend and no new sneaky abilities (except for more magic of course). Unseen seer advances both. You get all your wizard goodies + some sneak attack and 4 more skill points/level from a pretty broad list. The prc also has some useful situational abilities and it's Advanced learning ability is amazing! (pick up the ranger spell Hunter's Eye, it's in PHB II IIRC. +1d6 sneak attack/ 3 levels on your next attack). You won't regret taking this prestige class. I'll PM you my address so you can come punch me if you do.

xigbar

Explorer
You don't need a feat to do this. You can apply sneak attack to pretty much anything that requires an attack roll (if you have a volley of rays a la Scorching Ray, the sneak attacks only apply on the first one).

It helps a lot. If you continue going only rogue you get some more class features and skill points but your caster level takes a dive and you don't learn any higher level spells. If you continue going only wizard then you get far less skill points to spend and no new sneaky abilities (except for more magic of course). Unseen seer advances both. You get all your wizard goodies + some sneak attack and 4 more skill points/level from a pretty broad list. The prc also has some useful situational abilities and it's Advanced learning ability is amazing! (pick up the ranger spell Hunter's Eye, it's in PHB II IIRC. +1d6 sneak attack/ 3 levels on your next attack). You won't regret taking this prestige class. I'll PM you my address so you can come punch me if you do.

I ment to say that you could apply Crossbow Sniper. Wasn't thinking. And the other advice is good too.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Ah xD i'll look into the class then, thanks Veven.

As for the sneak attack thing, the Sniper prestidge already gives you somethng like that. If you apply the Sudden Ray Strike dmg to an attack, then you also stack it with your Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike dmg ^^

And that combo sounds good, gonna look into it. I'm just trying to figure out how to make this combo work at lower levels. I took 1st as rogue, then all the wiz required for the prestidge, folowed by max prestidge, then the rest. But dunno if it'd be useful during an actual game like that.

jcbdragon

First Post
Did something similar in a 2e game, inspired by a throw-away line from the movie, "The Mummy" -- the discussion between Evie and O'Connel about "You know your history!" "No, I know my treasure!"

We decided that if there were proficiencies in ancient languages, etc there was no reason there shouldn't be one in ancient treasures as well. Int-based, and limited to the treasures of one particular culture.

From there, I created a treasure-hunter character with this proficiency. Made him a thief for dealing with traps, locks, etc, and made him a hobbit for the strong poison resistance.

I've only gotten to play him once, but he worked out pretty well.

Remove ads