• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Treating characters in the game as being part of a LitRPG novel/anime

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's not technically part of the lit-RPG genre, but if you want your PCs to have some sort of "cheat" power, Owen K. C. Stephens has a blog post on some easy ways of doing that. It's written for Pathfinder 1E, but a lot of the options can be used in D&D 5E as well.

I have actually ran a GURPS Cyberpunk game where the PC's all meet in a Virtual D&D game. There were two linked story lines running in parrellel, one in the real world (the cyberpunk game) and one in the virtual world (the D&D game) and we alternated games every week. It was interesting to see events from one leak over and influence the events of the other.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
One of the things I always found interesting about a world where everyone can see their stats is how they would react.

I mean, how would you react to knowing that you have a below average charisma or intelligence? Stuff like that where things people usually just guess at are laid bare for the world to see.
You don't need a scanner to know if you have below average charisma.

Trust me, the world lets you know.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You don't need a scanner to know if you have below average charisma.

Trust me, the world lets you know.

The world can give you an impression, but I feel that is different than the universe giving you an objective fact. I've read some interesting stories where the characters just... literally can't be in denial, because it is on their status sheet.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I had the thought and was wondering if anyone has done or know of treating the game as an actual game instead of a fantasy reality?

Could be as a VR simulation or just how that reality work.
Pop up screens with stats or a tattoo on the back?
I had an utterly mad idea for a campaign that nested 3 games in an attempt to pull off something like Ready Player One.

Players would have a real world character, an Oasis character and a D&D character. The premise was that it was the 100th anniversary of D&D and teams are competing in a series of classic dungeons to win some epic jackpot.

To make it madder I was imagining using three different RPG systems for the different environments to keep them distinct. It‘s been fun to imagine but it would take a miracle to actually pull off.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I had the thought and was wondering if anyone has done or know of treating the game as an actual game instead of a fantasy reality?

Could be as a VR simulation or just how that reality work.
Pop up screens with stats or a tattoo on the back?
I've had plans to do so after watching SAO and Log Horizon (especially the latter), but I've go so many campaign ideas that I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads