Tremorsense

Bagpuss

Legend
Am I correct in thinking Tremorsense is like Blindsense... in that

A creature with blindsense is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.

as Termorsense only allows a creature to "sense" a creatures location.

So if a creature with tremorsense is blinded it still suffers a 50% miss chance, etc.

It's not at all clear from the SRD (quoted below).

Tremorsense

A creature with tremorsense automatically senses the location of anything that is in contact with the ground and within range. Aquatic creatures with tremorsense can also sense the location of creatures moving through water.

If no straight path exists through the ground from the creature to those that it’s sensing, then the range defines the maximum distance of the shortest indirect path. It must itself be in contact with the ground, and the creatures must be moving.

As long as the other creatures are taking physical actions, including casting spells with somatic components, they’re considered moving; they don’t have to move from place to place for a creature with tremorsense to detect them.

Individal creature discriptions mention things like... (from the Monsterous Spider)

Tremorsense (Ex)

A monstrous spider can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 60 feet in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the spider’s webs.

or the Phasm

Tremorsense (Ex)

A phasm can automatically sense the location of anything within 60 feet that is in contact with the ground, so long as it is touching the ground itself.

Now the Spider's mention of pinpoint implies to me it can be used as a targeting sense, but the Phasm just says sense the location.

Last edited:

Goldmoon

First Post
I've always thought of it as a kind of sonar. You can be denied your dex bonus to AC and still know the creature is there, even see the creature so I dont see how tremorsense prevents losing your dex bonus to AC.

Bagpuss

Legend
Interesting that you mention sonar. I thought I'ld check the bat. The Dire Bat has blindsense (not blindsight).

Blindsense (Ex)

A dire bat uses echolocation to pinpoint creatures within 40 feet. Opponents still have total concealment against the bat unless it can actually see them.

It also blows my idea that the use of "pinpoint" is enough to imply you can accurately target (to avoid the miss chance) without the aid of sight.

More I look into it the more I think termorsense is limited like blindsense.

Remove ads