• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treskri - an underground world

Zireael

Explorer
A few weeks ago, I have started creating an underground world, called Treskri.

I decided to post here since the WotC forums which I used to frequent are almost dead.

The major features of the world:
- based on my own mechanics (which I'll post in a moment)

- no surface, it's only the underground
- focused on elves and fey
- 3 playable races aside from elves (dwarves, half-elves and the Short Folk)

- the world is made from three layers: Lower World, Middle World and Upper World. The Lower World is the coldest and has no connection to the other two aside from portals. The Middle World is like our tropics, lot of animals and plants, 20 degrees Celcius. The Upper World is really hot, some 30+ degrees Celsius, suitable only for the demons and creatures of fire.

- it is underground, but it is not the classic Underdark: there is light here and plants
- the gravity sometimes changes - in one room the floor is the floor, but in another it might be the ceiling or the wall; thus, plants can grow on all surfaces
- the plants get the nutrition from the rocks themselves
- the fauna is mostly typical underground, but I also want three "interloper species" from Faerie - the fey wolf, fey eagle and fey raven. They all serve the highest ranking elves and fey.
- the elves and fey build cities

More info (in Polish) at Strona g?ówna Treskri - Treskri

--------------------------------------------------------------
The problem is, my Polish friends at the Polish forum criticize:
1) the Three Beasts of Battle (the "interloper species")
2) the cities, and buildings in general
3) the changing gravity
4) the plants growing on every surface

-----------------------------------------------
Help? Comments? Suggestions?

It has been suggested that I make some other, non-standard races available, but no ideas were forthcoming...

Thanks in advance,
Zireael

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
For other races, take a look at Primal Urge's line here: Sources of Content by Book - The Grand OGL Wiki (plus there is a lot of useful other material there)

I would think the euqsam, parasitic plants, would fit within your setting well.

What about water? Are there lakes, seas and rivers or is there no water at all?

And as for the people who are critizing, tell them a fantasy setting can be anything the designer wants (which is my polite response to such naysayers).

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
My biggest question would be why is this world completely subterranean? It sounds like, with the exception of the gravity issue, this world would function perfectly well as a standard terrestrial landscape.

Is there a magical or scientific (or other) reason why everyone has retreated beneath the surface of the world? Or did all these diverse races and environments form underground naturally? If so, is there any possibility of climbing to the surface? Are the residents aware that they are trapped underground, or are they unaware that their world has an outer surface?

These are questions that need answers. Dwarves and their kin are natural subterranean dwellers, but elves and their kin...not so much. This implies that they, along with their fey cousins, were driven underground. Why?

Zireael

Explorer
For other races, take a look at Primal Urge's line here: Sources of Content by Book - The Grand OGL Wiki (plus there is a lot of useful other material there)

I would think the euqsam, parasitic plants, would fit within your setting well.

What about water? Are there lakes, seas and rivers or is there no water at all?

And as for the people who are critizing, tell them a fantasy setting can be anything the designer wants (which is my polite response to such naysayers).

1) Water does exist - maybe not plentiful, but enough for the plants and animals to live.
2) I tried, but they say the setting must be logical and realistic.

My biggest question would be why is this world completely subterranean? It sounds like, with the exception of the gravity issue, this world would function perfectly well as a standard terrestrial landscape.

Is there a magical or scientific (or other) reason why everyone has retreated beneath the surface of the world? Or did all these diverse races and environments form underground naturally? If so, is there any possibility of climbing to the surface? Are the residents aware that they are trapped underground, or are they unaware that their world has an outer surface?

These are questions that need answers. Dwarves and their kin are natural subterranean dwellers, but elves and their kin...not so much. This implies that they, along with their fey cousins, were driven underground. Why?

The elves (and fey) came here through a portal from Faerie, which collapsed. They believe their goddess brought them here. They (and the other races) are unaware of the fact that their world is subterranean at all as there is no way to reach the surface - not mundane and not magical.
Some "lesser" races - eg. goblins, orcs, trogs - are native to the world, but were conquered in distant past as the elves had superior weapons and magic.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Nitpick: 20 degrees C doesn't seem very tropical, nor is 30 degrees all that hot.

agreed - tropical is more like 40 degrees C. Too hot to live would be 50 or higher, and even then 50 is survivable for a short time. Maybe 60 degrees C is what you're looking for, which translates to 140 in Fahrenheit.

NewJeffCT

First Post
The elves (and fey) came here through a portal from Faerie, which collapsed. They believe their goddess brought them here. They (and the other races) are unaware of the fact that their world is subterranean at all as there is no way to reach the surface - not mundane and not magical.
Some "lesser" races - eg. goblins, orcs, trogs - are native to the world, but were conquered in distant past as the elves had superior weapons and magic.

Interesting concept - like a 12 Monkeys future.

How do the elves not know they're underground? What do they see when they look up? Wouldn't they miss the sky & stars, not to mention the sun?

SnowleopardVK

First Post
2) I tried, but they say the setting must be logical and realistic.

Silly people. They expect a logical and realistic setting in a fantasy game? What DMH said is absolutely right. It's your setting, it can be whatever you want.

Anyways, the setting sounds neat. Best wishes on your further designs.

Zireael

Explorer
agreed - tropical is more like 40 degrees C. Too hot to live would be 50 or higher, and even then 50 is survivable for a short time. Maybe 60 degrees C is what you're looking for, which translates to 140 in Fahrenheit.

The temperatures I gave are the minimums.
My friends were convinced 25 degrees Celsius is too hot for the elves and fey to be comfortable (I picked the temps to explain their tendency for... err... skimpy clothing...) and that at over 30 normal creatures would self-combust.

How do the elves not know they're underground? What do they see when they look up? Wouldn't they miss the sky & stars, not to mention the sun?

How would they know the sky and the stars? None of the original migrants are alive... everyone was born here.

Jhaelen

First Post
How would they know the sky and the stars? None of the original migrants are alive... everyone was born here.
Legends and Lore. Passing knowledge to the next generation is crucial for intelligent species.

Your setting reminds me a bit of Earthdawn: In that setting people were forced to live underground in magically sealed 'Caers' for generations to survive a plague of demons.

You may want to check it out for some ideas to borrow for your setting.

Remove ads