• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tricks to make your RPG experience better!

Jib

First Post
My old GM did this for our group, and I did something similar for mine.

He created tokens out of deer antler for each player, representing their primary PC. The token was a flat disk, with wood-burned etching. Everyone in the old group still has theirs in their dice bag.

What they're good for, is EVERYONE now has a marker for initiative or as a mini. This is good for the players who never got into minis. Even if you don't use a battlemat, who hasn't had a question about positioning, and using things on the table, layed out the scene?

For my group, I made them out of wood. Same concept, different material. They worked well as a x-mas present, which is what my DM had given them for.

That is a good idea and a great gift!

Mixmaster

Explorer
Whatever you do at Kinko's make sure you print in B&W instead of color. It costs on average 5x the cost of printing it in B&W. And if it is a detailed map, the details carry through as greyscale.

I like Jib's idea of going to Kinko's to turn normal sized maps into big ones, since I've downloaded a ton of maps from Wizards' Map-a-Week archive and other sites. I wonder how much it costs.

It seems like it would take me longer to describe a room to a mapper, even a not-too-detailed one like this, than it would to draw it myself. With my big battlemat, I draw big sections of the dungeon at once while the players take a bathroom break. Breaks are important for pacing too, I think.

Jib

First Post
Yeah Kinkos ain't always cheap. A big ole' map on the Oce can be under $10 USD which is not too bad. Color is very costly!

Remove ads