• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

trip, stand up, trip?

fl8m

First Post
I finally made a character with Improved trip and last game ran into a small snag. I trip the bad guy, bad guy stands up (provoking an AoO). so can i use an AoO to make a trip attack? and if i can use the Attack of opportunity to trip the bad guy do i get the followup attack?

I hope that made sense 3 hours of sleep bad :(

Oh, another question. I need some ideas on how to overcome darkness. i've got a Ranger 7/ Foe hunter 3 with blind-fighting. the cleric is an idiot so a dispel magic or light spell isn't an option. what can my ranger do on his own? 1st lvl ranger spells aren't all that helpfull. are there any realatively cheap magic items that could help?

Darklone

AoOs take place before the action that triggered them, so it's common (and much more balanced) to argue that the guy is still prone while your AoO would try to trip him.

Thanee

First Post
So, yes, you can do it, but it doesn't do you any good, since afterwards the action continues and your opponent stands up. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Kyrail

First Post
In the abstract system of D&D, people rarely remember that charecters are perfectly capable of rolling away at half speed (A tumble, which may provide an AoO unless they are full moving, or can get that 15 they need.) and then standing up. So unless you've got them against a wall, you shouldn't ever get more than the first trip, and maybe an AoO when they try to get away. Anyways, as far as I know you'd get the attack.

Huh, though Rangers got light, ah well... Anyway, Continual Flame is a light spell, despite being only a magical torch, it counters and dispels magic of equal and lower level ... so it would negate the darkness in it's radius and it would simply be the normal light conditions, 50 gp to make, permenant. At least I think all of that is right.

Thanee

First Post
Well, not everyone has Tumble... actually only very few inhabitants of the D&D world do have Tumble.

Bye
Thanee

shilsen

Adventurer
Darklone said:
Crawling is contained in the abstract system, Kyrail and it doesn't work like you describe ;)
True. Crawling, by the RAW, is more like "I'm going to move really reaaaallly slow so you can have an easy time hitting me. You're welcome."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads