• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tripping flying creatures?

Wolfix

First Post
According to 3.5 raw, is it possible to trip a flying character/monster? Is there a mechanic somewhere for this, IE how far one would fall or what else would happen?

I'm trying to figure out if a character with Improved Trip would still work in high levels as most of his enemies would be flying in this campaign.

shilsen

Adventurer
I think it is possible to trip flying creatures. If it is a creature without the ability to hover (perfect or good maneuverability), I think this would cause it to stall and fall. I don't think this has been covered in the RAW or clarified in the FAQ, so that's just the interpretation I would use. And in case it has, I'm hoping someone posts the info here.

Egres

First Post
From the "Rules of the Game " article:

Trip
Most creature using wings or other appendages to fly can be tripped. Incorporeal creatures with perfect maneuverability, and creatures that don't rely on their limbs to fly cannot be tripped when in flight.

Resolving the Trip Attempt: The attacker makes a Strength check. The defender can oppose the attempt with a Strength check or a Dexterity check. Each creature gets a bonus based on its maneuverability rating, as follows: perfect +12, good maneuverability +8, average +4, poor +0, clumsy -4.
Stability bonuses do not apply in aerial overruns.

Trip Results: A successful trip forces the defender to stall (even if the tripped creature doesn't have a minimum forward speed) rather than knocking the defender prone.

kitsune9

Adventurer
According to 3.5 raw, is it possible to trip a flying character/monster? Is there a mechanic somewhere for this, IE how far one would fall or what else would happen?

I'm trying to figure out if a character with Improved Trip would still work in high levels as most of his enemies would be flying in this campaign.

I considered it impossible to "trip" a character who had the benefit of a fly spell (when they are not moving, they are just hovering); however, for regular modes of flight, the trip action could be used to cause a stall or fall.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So how to manage it if i am at thew ground and my readyed tripatemt hits an fly-by-ing Dragon or somthig

its like i am standing and he is flying

A successful trip attempt on a flying dragon would mean you somehow tangled his wing- he should stall & fall a certain distance, possibly even to the ground.

kitcik

Adventurer
So how to manage it if i am at thew ground and my readyed tripatemt hits an fly-by-ing Dragon or somthig

its like i am standing and he is flying

Sorry, I don't have Decipher Script as a class skill. You should try posting in English.

My best translation: OK, so tripping a flying creature causes a stall. How does that impact the feat "flyby attack"? Would the creature be able to continue its move on the ground, for instance? Since a stalled creature cannot take actions, do they lose their attack? If it successfully recovers from the stall, can it continue its flyby?

I would say the flyby is toast and, since the flying creature is so low to the ground at the time of the trip, the stall simply causes it to alight in an adjacent square of its choice. But I have no RAW for that.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry, I don't have Decipher Script as a class skill. You should try posting in English.

Dude, play nice- if for no other reason than we have lots of posters from around the world, and English may not be their first language- it may have been garbled but it wasn't entirely unclear.

Buugipopuu

First Post
I allow trips even against (corporeal) creatures with perfect manoeuvrability, unless you're an Umbral Blot, it's still going to be difficult to carry on moving if you're tumbling head-over-heels no matter what method you're using to fly. Also because it's a minor nerf to casters.

Dude, play nice- if for no other reason than we have lots of posters from around the world, and English may not be their first language- it may have been garbled but it wasn't entirely unclear.

There aren't many countries that don't end sentences with full stops and start them with capital letters, and "trip attempt" was spelled correctly in the post immediately preceding his, so I'm betting it's just laziness.

Remove ads