• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TRISTALT: The Return.

Neoiceshroom

Banned
Banned
But any gestalt/tristalt without a full casting class is gimped.

I must dis-agree with this statement. At epic levels, in my campaigns at least, fighter-types tend to completely outshine casters in terms of raw damage output.

I have designed an ECL 180 (non-gestalt) vampire god who does more than double the damage output of Boccob. Boccob, in my campaign setting is an ECL 238 Greater deity.

Then again I actually use rules for Virtual Size Categories, which is not part of the Core rule set at all.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

xigbar

Explorer
I must dis-agree with this statement. At epic levels, in my campaigns at least, fighter-types tend to completely outshine casters in terms of raw damage output.

I have designed an ECL 180 (non-gestalt) vampire god who does more than double the damage output of Boccob. Boccob, in my campaign setting is an ECL 238 Greater deity.

Then again I actually use rules for Virtual Size Categories, which is not part of the Core rule set at all.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

The problem with D&D, when played at it's highest level of strategy, is that damage is irrelevant. Being able to get past obstacles, (spells, that fighters don't have a way of using or getting around, except items) especially battlefield control is more relevant to damage output. Casters shouldn't be worrying about damage output. Fighters only have damage output.

The problem with D&D, when played at it's highest level of strategy, is that damage is irrelevant. Being able to get past obstacles, (spells, that fighters don't have a way of using or getting around, except items) especially battlefield control is more relevant to damage output. Casters shouldn't be worrying about damage output. Fighters only have damage output.
Damage output can have more than one meaning. After all, if you use a save-or-die spell, then killing the creature effectively means you did its entire HP pool as damage.

domino

First Post
Just using core classes because I'm lazy, I'd go Paladin//Sorceror//Rogue. Really hammer away with that Charisma. Though it'd suffer from nigh-on crippling MAD.

Maybe Sorceror//Wizard//Cleric for super casty goodness.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer

Damage output can have more than one meaning. After all, if you use a save-or-die spell, then killing the creature effectively means you did its entire HP pool as damage.

I agree that casters don't need to deal damage at high levels.
1. Grant yourself Fire immunity.
2. Plane Shift you and your opponent to the Plane of Fire.
3. Leave your opponent there, Plane Shift back home.
... just one of the ridiculous things casters can do.

kitcik

Adventurer
Why not just Plane Shift the foe only, and skip steps 1 and 3? Are they there just for the sake of having 3 steps?

Popcorn sales are brisk. You wouldn't wan't to miss step 5... profit.

[MENTION=6674872]Neoiceshroom[/MENTION] - please send me a character sheet for Boocob and roll initiative. Actually, never mind the initiative - I'll just tell you how you die before you get to roll.

Neoiceshroom

Banned
Banned
Popcorn sales are brisk. You wouldn't wan't to miss step 5... profit.

@Neoiceshroom - please send me a character sheet for Boocob and roll initiative. Actually, never mind the initiative - I'll just tell you how you die before you get to roll.

Wish I could friend. Right now my epic spell system is broken into a million itty bitty pieces and without a solid epic spell system to fall back on Boccob might as well be a first level commoner.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads