• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trivia: When did you first play D&D?

radmod

First Post
How long ago, in a number of years, did you first play D&D?
If you feel like it indicate how long ago, especially if it was 30 plus years ago.

Drat, I must've accidentally clicked the poll box again. I will repost.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I first played in 1977 in the library of Aurora Middle School in Aurora, CO. The DM was a hobbit-ish kid I'd never met, but who got permission to run the game there.

My fighter and another guy's wizard were the longest lived PCs- we died in the dungeon's pentultimate room, fighting a Purple Worm. The wizard fired his last (OK, only) MM, then began whacking at the thing with his staff. Due to the luck of the dice, he was hitting it a lot more than I did, though my few hits with my 2HD sword were pretty effective. Then the critter nat 20'd and engulfed the mage.

We sparred for a while longer, and eventually, both combatants were whittled down to 4HP. The next round was simultaneous initiative. He hit; I missed and died.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
it was 2000, i was in second grade and my dad and brother asked me if I wanted to

i was more than excited

I played a halfling fighter on the "Forge of Fury" Module, I survived

he eventually became a fighter rogue and was the only 3.0 charater of ours to actually sneak attack someone (remember, you had to study them for two rounds, HOW LAME WAS THAT??) granted it was a bugbear, I still did it

eventually he slew a dragon and then we retired him, living the last of his days as "Arry, the dragon slayer of the Keep"

Fallenibilis

First Post
It was 2007 i was in 10th grade and i played an Elf Duskblade in a quickplay through of the forge of furry. A few months later we started a new campaign where i played the son of my first character this time a Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge and im happyto say that its still going! :D

Axel

First Post
Back in 1990, my Mum gave me the red box set for my birthday (my 8th birthday). My best friend (then and now) and I played through the whole solo campaign twice over each, loving it completely. The talking head riddle I still remember fondly as THE example of a D&D puzzle encounter. I also still have a pathological fear of Rust Mosters and sleep spells.

I played a lot until I finished University (2004), progressing from D&D to AD&D to 2nd edition, before giving it away to 'be a grownup'. Worst mistake ever... I found out that you're never too old to play games, when you stop playing games you're too old. After spending a year and a half backpacking around the world in 2007/2008 said best friend twisted my rubbery arm and got me back into playing. Haven't looked back since.

DumbPaladin

First Post
I started in 1997, I believe -- Players' Options had recently come out (i.e. "2.5"), and I joined a group that was wanting to start a new campaign with level 1 characters using those character creation rules and options. The group started out with 2 people, and ended up with 6 or 7 depending on the month. I played until 1999, then stopped tabletop RPGs (but not all gaming) until 2008.

I have played in a total of four campaigns, but two lasted less than 3 months. In all of them I started as a level 1 character along with every other player in the group, which has been a nice experience. My current character is CL 13, which is the highest I've ever gotten a character so far.

jefgorbach

First Post
watched my first campaign winter 1977 during a snowed-in boy scout weekender and first played a few months later, purchasing the original hardback dmg, ph, and mm when they hit the local book stores.

FEADIN

Explorer
I started playing in 1981, in October, I was 17, it was ADD, I never played the DD boxes, it was new in France only english books but there was a big group in Paris playing by night in a high school.
My first character was a human fighter I wanted him a bit bad tempered so I choose NE for alignement:)
I remember the story we had to protect a village from assault by bandits, I survived and leveled up to 2nd after that I entered a big campaign and at 3rd level I was trampled to death by a woolly rhino....
Meanwhile I was leveling others characters, a dwarf fighter and an elven magic user/thief as they were named in the past, they crossed the editions and are still living....

akbearfoot

First Post
For me it was in 1993 when I was 13 y/o living a sheltered life in the bible belt. I was into Magic: the Gathering back then, but it was back when it was still kind of a newish thing that had hardly caught on. I had never considered playing an RPG. I was raised to think that RPGs were evil. Darkleaf, Noooooo! style evil.

I still remember the conversation with my 2 buddies who are still among my best friends in the world today. They asked if I wanted to play D&D with them and my exact reply was 'Dungeons and Dragons? Isn't that like Devil worship?" They laughed loudly and I felt a little dumb, then they explained what it was actually about and I made my first character later that day. A 1st level 2nd edition Wizard. Fond memories.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads