• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Troglodyte feats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

First Post
I play a troglodyte cleric and it has stench ability.

STENCH:
30 ft radius
Fort save DC 13
1d6 str damage for 10 rounds

She is hungry all the time, so she eats everything - goblins, spiders... (What a cute little goblin! I think it will be best with onion and garlic.) I have thought, that could rise her stench ability. Good food creates better stench...
So I have created new feats in this order and each is prerequisite for next:

IMPROVED STENCH
35 ft radius
Fort save DC 15
1d8 STR damage for 12 rounds

GREATER STENCH
40 ft radius
Fort save DC 17
1d10 STR damage for 14 rounds

EVEN GREATER STENCH
45 ft radius
Fort save DC 19
1d12 STR damage for 16 rounds

THE GREATEST STENCH OF ALL
45ft radius
Fort save DC 21
1d20 STR damage for 18 rounds

Do you think they are too strong or too weak. And it is not a Troglodyte party, so I don't use it often...

Xarlen

First Post
1) This should be in House rules.

2) There should be some pre-reqs. BAB spesifics, levels, etc.

3) Check out the Slayer's Guide to Trog's. They made the females all quadropedial beasts (The males are sentient), but I could see it the other way around. But they also had some stuff in there about scent: such as putting some of that musk into a vial, and hurling it, to effect the targeted area.

4) Letting the Cleric charge in first, do her Stench, then having a mage cast Gust of Wind would be a good move; effect the area, then let the party come in. Works best when the cleric could be under illusions of something else.

Death

First Post
Thank you for your posts.

I don't exactly think, they are too strong. First to add a bit

Pre-req feat is of course basic stench, for next feat improved stench and so on.
I should probably put there also that you can not take this feat as your starting feat or BAB +2. (kind of metasmelling feat)

Troglodyte character starts with EL+2 so 1 level troglodyte cleric is a 3 level character.
When you calculate, that troglodyte cleric gains feats every three levels, that means

3 lev char improved stench
6 lev char greater stench
9 lev char even greater stench
12 lev char the greatest stench of all

At level 12 your character can cast and do some pretty amazing stuff. But for his ability he has spent all four feats, which is quite a lot.
I also think, that drawback is your own party - they are not troglodytes, so you can't do it near them, otherwise they will suffer too.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
To clarify - I think that for a 12th/14th level character, the ability to drain 1d20 Str from any creature at will with a DC21 ST is ridiculously powerful, and I wouldn't even contemplate it.

As a matter of fact, I go with the errata* which makes the Trog stench just act like any other nausea (-2 to activities) rather than the Str drain which is an artefact left over from previous editions

If you were absolutely desparate to have an improved stench, I'd have just one level of it "Improved stench" which had the same Str drain but increased the ST by 2 (or, to be more generous, set the ST as 10 + Con bonus + 1/2 level. Con bonus because you have been eating more nauseaus stuff)

*at least I think it is errata... I've seen it in print somewhere, but I can't put my hand on it just at the moment, I'm afraid.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads