• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Troglodyte Stench

Metalsmith

First Post
Trog Stench is it a Poison?

Do the Effects stack? My first impulse says no, otherwise they would conquer the world in short order. :)

Do the effects stop immediately after 10 rounds reguardless if the source is still present, or do they continue while exposed and then fade 10 rounds after the source is removed?

What about a group of 6? Would you make 1 save or six saves?

Metalsmith

Dimwhit

Explorer
Here's what our group came up with after reading the errata:

Against a group of 6 trogs, you would make 6 separate saves (provided you come within 30 feet of each one). The effects do stack. But, save or fail, after 10 rounds, you are immune to the stench from those particular trogs for 24 hours. Fortunately, the errata softened the effects a bit to just a -2 attack, etc. instead of retching for 10 rounds and unable to do anything but move. So it's doable. I don't think it's a poison, either.

It hasn't come up yet, but I decided that I would use the 'aid another' rule of thumb. One save, but each additional troggy adds +2 to the DC. After so many rounds you grow accustomed to the smell.

hong

WotC's bitch
As printed in the MM, yes, it would stack. Ability damage is ability damage, whether it's from a poison, a spell, or really bad personal hygiene. Note however that this has been errata'ed:

Stench (Ex): When a troglodyte is angry or frightened, it secretes an oily, musklike chemical that nearly every form of animal life finds offensive. All creatures (except troglodytes) within 30 feet of the troglodyte (except other troglodytes) must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 13) or suffer a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, checks, and saving throws. The affect lasts 10 rounds. Once character has succumbed to a particular troglodyte's stench ability, or made a successful saving throw against it, the character cannot be by the same troglodyte's stench ability for 24 hours.

This makes a lot more sense, since the Str damage was obviously a holdover from 2E where ability damage was handled differently.

Bassar

First Post
What they really mean

Only one save is required per 10 rounds with trogs.

One trog's stench is as good as another's.

That is why they do not take over the world.

Bassar

Remove ads