• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trolls, trolls and more trolls

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
But scrags only regenerate when completely immersed in water. While out on land raids they are not nearly as threatening, and can be killed with normal weapons.

Tharkon

First Post
But scrags only regenerate when completely immersed in water. While out on land raids they are not nearly as threatening, and can be killed with normal weapons.

Not sure, there might be a difference between not regenerating and not having the regeneration ability. The much more obvious problem is that Scrags don't breathe air.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Not sure, there might be a difference between not regenerating and not having the regeneration ability. The much more obvious problem is that Scrags don't breathe air.
Hey, I never noticed that before! That's the first surprise I've had from 3.5 in a long time.

The SRD has them listed as aquatic, but not amphibious, which by RAW means they can breathe only in water. I'm guessing that is an oversight; they have a listed land speed, which would be silly if they couldn't breathe out of water. And FWIW, they could breathe air in previous editions.

akbearfoot

First Post
How does a troll breath without a head? I'd call that suffocation...or drowning(on its own blood).

Undead and some other creatures are not killed by being headless. However a troll is not exactly the same.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
instant cauterization would prevent bleeding-non fire cauterization that is-and given this is a fantasy game we are talking about, it could happen.

Rhun

First Post
Hey, I never noticed that before! That's the first surprise I've had from 3.5 in a long time.

The SRD has them listed as aquatic, but not amphibious, which by RAW means they can breathe only in water. I'm guessing that is an oversight; they have a listed land speed, which would be silly if they couldn't breathe out of water. And FWIW, they could breathe air in previous editions.

Probably an oversight, but who knows? It had never occurred to me they couldn't breathe air, based on my experience in previous editions.

How does a troll breath without a head? I'd call that suffocation...or drowning(on its own blood).

You make a valid point, and I'm sure there are some DMs that would rule this way. But that also sort of means that PCs can easily destroy a troll once it is down by delivering a coup de grace to "decapitate" the creature. And suddenly PCs really don't need to worry about carrying fire and acid around to fight trolls.

Tharkon

First Post
they have a listed land speed, which would be silly if they couldn't breathe out of water.
So does the octopus.

It is possible to breathe trough your neck in real life by using medical applications, a troll might be able to naturally. Technically rules say a decapitated troll dies, but it's commonly houseruled they don't, each house rule might have a different explanation.

You make a valid point, and I'm sure there are some DMs that would rule this way. But that also sort of means that PCs can easily destroy a troll once it is down by delivering a coup de grace to "decapitate" the creature. And suddenly PCs really don't need to worry about carrying fire and acid around to fight trolls.

The rules dictate only lethal attacks (specifically those made by a melee or ranged weapon, so no spells) can be used in a coupe de grace. Since coupe de grace is commonly performed by decapitation we can deduct that only lethal damage can decapitate someone, or something. So only fire or acid can decapitate a troll.

Rhun

First Post
The rules dictate only lethal attacks (specifically those made by a melee or ranged weapon, so no spells) can be used in a coupe de grace. Since coupe de grace is commonly performed by decapitation we can deduct that only lethal damage can decapitate someone, or something. So only fire or acid can decapitate a troll.

True, but that argument is diametrically opposite of the argument that decapitating a troll with a vorpal blade does kill it. Ah, a fun rules paradox!

Remove ads