• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trouble With Encaging Spirits (Seeker)

RYPros53

First Post
I'm sure one of you expert D&D players can answer this in a jiffy, but its been giving me real trouble and totally thwarting the monsters I've been throwing at my group. (Well, not totally, but it sure is annoying!)

Mari, the Eladrin Seeker in the group, uses encaging spirits, a minor at-will for lvl. 1 seekers. It is a close burst 1, and you push the target 1 square and their slowed.

The issue is that every time she does this, say she's adjacent to a monster and so she pushes it back one square. But say there were two or even three other PCs adjacent to that monster, before it was pushed. The way I've been running it for lack of a better option, is to give each of the PCs that was adjacent to the monster (not counting Mari) an opportunity attack.

1, 2, or 3 opportunity attacks against the monster just because Mari pushed it with encaging spirits?
That seems a little unfair to me.

I'm looking for someone to tell me to suck it up, and that it's totally fair. Or, for someone to tell me that a monster can only be subjected to one opportunity attack in this situation, or none at all. (If you tell me the later, please give me a rules reference/pg. # so I can prove it to my player so he doesn't stab me).

Thanks!

the Jester

Legend
Forced movement never triggers opportunity attacks.

Look up "forced movement" in the PH or RC. I'd give you a cite & page number, but don't have my books handy.

EDIT: Also, I seem to recall Encaging Spirits being an encounter power, but again, IDHMBIFOM.

RYPros53

First Post
Forced movement never triggers opportunity attacks.

Look up "forced movement" in the PH or RC. I'd give you a cite & page number, but don't have my books handy.

EDIT: Also, I seem to recall Encaging Spirits being an encounter power, but again, IDHMBIFOM.

I knew it! Just didn't know how to prove it. I found it in the PH, thanks a bunch! :]

Remove ads