• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trouble with feat selection for a human ranger 11/beastmaster 1

I'm currently playing a human ranger 11/beastmaster 1, just leveled him, I'm trying to come up with a feat I actually want to take as opposed to something just to fill the slot. He's already got Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Skill Focus (Handle Animal), Natural Bond, Woodland Archer, plus Endurance, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, and Improved Precise Shot. Leaning towards something for archery or the animal companion (an elven hound, GM ruled as a second tier [druid -3] companion), but I'd welcome any other suggestions too. Thanks guys.

thompgc

First Post
What about Greater Manyshot
Or if you switch your animal companion to something you can ride, go with the Mounted Archery feats. There was also a feat at the WotC site that gave you an animal companion, could take that and have 2 companions.

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately, I don't really use Manyshot too often as is, usually only to overcome DR with the extra dice in a single attack, otherwise, I tend to stay well beyond 30' to prevent getting pounded in melee, and I'm going for Animal Lord in a couple of levels, with the Wolf progression, so swapping out the dog isn't really an option. I'm sorry I didn't elaborate before. In regards to the Wild Cohort feat, I don't really want to grab another animal, since in a few levels I'll be able to summon a pack of Dire Wolves to go with my Elven hound... I do really appreciate the response though, it helps the thought process along...

In terms of Improved Crit, i tend to prep Hunter's Mercy from Spell Compendium, which tends to do the job alot better (trading a standard action and a 1st level slot to prep for an attack that's an auto crit) costs me less in resources, and most of the other spells prepped are the Primal spells from Dragon Magic. Generally very few of them actually rely on caster level, just class level to access the spell, so that leaves out Practiced Spellcaster, plus I don't want to blow 8 skill points to even qualify for it. In order to qualify for I'd have to burn my 12th level feat on dodge, my 15th on mobility. Dodge really isn't helping much at 12th level, and Mobility is kind of a waste for a character that rarely approaches or is approached by an opponent's reach. Shot on the run wouldn't happen until 18th level, and my character doesn't really move much when he's shooting anyway. Thanks again for the responses, I'll keep plugging through the sources.

moritheil

First Post
There are always the fighter-type standbys: improved toughness, weapon focus, quick draw, etc. You could also look into the Ranged Pin/Ranged Disarm feat tree.

I was thinking about Leadership, another player's already got a Cohort, and myself a companion, I'm not sure I want to slow things down any more for everyone else (though the extra damage dealer would be nice; we've got a fighter/cleric in the party, but aside from that, we don't have any traditional heavy hitter "defender" types). Anyone know of any feats that branch off of Iron Will that are worth taking?

Remove ads