Troubling news

Ruthia

First Post
Magi_Trelian said:
Okay, guys, I've been asking around and there are some really bizarre rumours out there.

(3) Someone got banned because the Magi thought it was a banned player.

This could happen. When a player is banned, they lose every character that can be identified as having been played by them. It doesn't matter that they've been sharing the characters with others. And they're not allowed to come back under any character name at all until the ban has been lifted. If we have good and concrete reasons to believe that a particular character is being used by a banned player, even it is also someone else's character, then that character could be forfeit. Moral of the story: Do Not Let Other People Play Your Characters.

But even then, it wouldn't be a ban or warning against the player themselves unless it was that they knowingly let a banned player back on site by letting them use a character or creating a new character for them. That's a no-no.

uumm...that one might stem from a day when a few chars/players suddenly got you've been banned warnings for no reason once so ever. Turns out the Magi in question acciedently hit something wrong though and the Magi in question did appoligize to everyone as far as I know. *shrugs* it happens, Magi are people to darn it all! (Despite the rumors of them being left over and/or defective Wizo robots stolen from Wizards durning the move... ;) )

That being said...... *Gives unmentioned Magi a choclate chip cookie and offers the rest some to just because!*

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
LOL I'll freely admit that it was me accidentally sending a "you've been banned" message to everyone on site at once not long ago. It was an accident, and if I didnt appologize to you directly, to those that got said message and arent actually banned: I'm sooo sorry!
*Steals cookie and snarfs it up* And what is with everyone taking my place with the baking!?!

*tosses everyone a cookie*

Sir Dieterich

First Post
Hmm...after doing MUCH research and talking to the Magi's I have to agree with them this time, shocking I know. Also, yes, the rumor the 36 players started from 36 characters, which by my knowledge (which is actually very good on this fact) is true, 36 characters were banned. For an appropriate reason as well, so I support the Magi's on this one.
*waves a political flage sporting the names of the Magi's*

Bhryn

First Post
LOL I'll freely admit that it was me accidentally sending a "you've been banned" message to everyone on site at once not long ago. It was an accident, and if I didnt appologize to you directly, to those that got said message and arent actually banned: I'm sooo sorry!

*chuckles*

Smooth, Nashira, very smooth... :D

Kallikrates

First Post
Wow how...peaceful this thread actually is. Amazing to say the least. I think they magis are doing their jobs well, as already said somewhere I think we all probably disagreed with them at one point in time or another. But hey, that's happens to all authorities. At least there not corrupt and bash us indiscriminately with a ban. Hmmm.... *snatches the cookies and then replaces them with sugarless dopplergangers*

Magi_Apolline

ISRP Moderator
Magi_Nashira said:
*Steals cookie and snarfs it up* And what is with everyone taking my place with the baking!?!

*tosses everyone a cookie*

Nashira, you're not the only one who has accidently banned someone. I did the same thing just a few days ago. That is why this is so frustrating for us. When others helped the banned person(s), it is harder for us to determine who is the offender.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Okay, we've reopened this thread since people still seem to have legitimate questions over how banning works and why someone might be banned. Please keep to that topic. (And just saying how great/evil the Magis are, is very nice/saddening, but it's not on topic.)

Please also keep it to general questions, not about any particular ban. As we've said before, we can't answer specifics.

This thread has also been moved to the Rules and Rulings section, since that's what the discussion is all about.

Silver_Shulad

First Post
Question - IF the name of the banned character has more then one IP under it, if it does track every IP that was used with the name, do they all get banned? Or is it the IP that was in use at the time of the offence? or does the IP of the character stay as the last one it was played at overwriting the last log in upon a different computer connection or differnt IP?

For the fact of the really bad lie in the closed thread about said person saying that there was no playing of the banned character on there computer, or the player never came over, but still it showed it had the same IP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Silver_Shulad said:
Question - IF the name of the banned character has more then one IP under it, if it does track every IP that was used with the name, do they all get banned? Or is it the IP that was in use at the time of the offence? or does the IP of the character stay as the last one it was played at overwriting the last log in upon a different computer connection or differnt IP?

For the fact of the really bad lie in the closed thread about said person saying that there was no playing of the banned character on there computer, or the player never came over, but still it showed it had the same IP.
This depends on whether it's an initial banning or an IP banning. In a general sense, it's both character tracking and IP tracking. Everytime we warn someone, we record both IP address and character name.

If a player has had at least three warnings and is given the initial ban, they lose all existing characters that are known to be played by them. It doesn't matter if they're on different IP addresses or if someone else was also playing those characters. However, the player is allowed to bring back totally new characters even if using any of the tracked IP addresses. Unfortunately, other people that might have played those characters also have to create new characters.

If the player has even more warnings, they can get an IP ban. This means that any IP address recorded for any character ever played by them, might be banned. If we have reason to believe the offenses are linked to a single IP address, we start there. If we find that the player had been or is still accessing ISRP using other IP addresses, those get included and become part of the ban. And no new characters can come in over those IP addresses until the ban is lifted.

As for lying, it's possible that people can be mistaken either in the use of the computer or the timing, so that they thought it was used only prior to the ban instead of after. But I have asked that we not discuss specific cases here, so please don't comment so specifically on the closed thread. There's a reason it was closed.

Remove ads