• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

troy - ok movie, here are some feats

rkanodia

First Post
This is in a hurry, so no formatting at the moment.

Greater Feint
You can fake out an opponent on the move, and attack from implausible angles.
Prerequisite: Improved Feint, ??
Benefit: You may use the Bluff skill to feint in combat as part of a move action, or at the end of the movement portion of a charge. When you successfully feint against an opponent in combat, they lose their shield bonus as well as their dexterity and dodge bonuses to armor.

Sign Reader
You are well-versed at reading various portents sent by gods and forces of nature, giving you a vague measure of information about future events.
Prerequisite: Wis 13+, knowledge(religion) 3 ranks.
Benefit: You may study the sky, nature, tea leaves, or just about anything for one hour in order to gain one of the following benefits, which last until you read the signs again. You must have at least 8 hours of rest before reading the signs.
Warning: You get a +1 bonus on initiative, spot checks, and listen checks.
Opportunity: You get a +1 bonus on bluff checks, search checks, and diplomacy checks.
Safety: You get a +2 bonus against saving throws against one energy type, or against poison.

What do you guys think?

I think Greater Feint is too powerful if it negates shield, Dex, and dodge bonuses. Anyone with sneak attack would have a field day with this feat. I think you're better off just ignoring shield bonuses. Someone with a really high Dex might be able to react in time to respond, even if caught badly out of position. I'd also limit the feat's use to once per encounter or require a standard action to use.

Last edited:

rkanodia

First Post
The thing is, my thought is that Feint has been nerfed so much in 3.5 that feats that buff it aren't much of a problem. Plus, charging has always sucked.

Still, I can see your point. What would you think if I kept the first part of the feat (you may feint as part of a move action {keep in mind, the character can already feint as a move action, thanks to Improved Feint}) and changed the second part to allow the feinter to choose between negating Dex/dodge bonuses or shield bonus? This way, feint is still of some utility against big slow warrior types.

Raven Crowking

First Post
rkanodia said:
Sign Reader
You are well-versed at reading various portents sent by gods and forces of nature, giving you a vague measure of information about future events.
Benefit: You may study the sky, nature, tea leaves, or just about anything for one hour in order to gain one of the following benefits, which last until you read the signs again. You must have at least 8 hours of rest before reading the signs.
Opportunity: You get a +1 bonus on bluff checks, search checks, and diplomacy checks.
Safety: You get a +2 bonus against saving throws against one energy type, or against poison.

I like this idea, but if the portent comes from the gods (or forces of nature), then shouldn't the benefit be random, as opposed to selected by the player?

I.e., roll 1d6: 1-2 Warning, 3-4 Opportunity, 5-6 Safety. If the character makes a Knowledge (religion) check at DC 15, he may add or subtract one to this die roll in order to alter the benefit received, if possible. Note that on a roll of 1 or 6, the benefit cannot be changed.

rkanodia

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
I like this idea, but if the portent comes from the gods (or forces of nature), then shouldn't the benefit be random, as opposed to selected by the player?

I.e., roll 1d6: 1-2 Warning, 3-4 Opportunity, 5-6 Safety. If the character makes a Knowledge (religion) check at DC 15, he may add or subtract one to this die roll in order to alter the benefit received, if possible. Note that on a roll of 1 or 6, the benefit cannot be changed.
Good idea. Also, it would probably be a good idea to change the bonuses to insight bonuses, or at least sacred bonuses. Unnamed things can get out of hand in a hurry.

MarauderX

Explorer
rkanodia said:
Sign Reader

Hmm, it's a lot like clerical spells like Augury, and might be better as a spell instead of a feat. That is unless you want some monks having the ability as a feat...

Last edited:

rkanodia

First Post
MarauderX said:
Hmm, it's a lot like clerical spells like Augury, and might be better as a spell instead of a feat. That is unless you want some monks having the ability as a feat...
If you read the Iliad or the Odyssey, not all of the readers of bird-signs, for instance, are priestly in nature. They are happening nearly constantly, and anyone with the proper understanding of the gods can interpret them. The difference that I perceive between this and divination magic is that divination magic is calling up a god and asking him a question on the mystic phone, while this feat is more like turning on the radio and finding out if any god is broadcasting something interesting.

MarauderX

Explorer
rkanodia said:
If you read the Iliad or the Odyssey, not all of the readers of bird-signs, for instance, are priestly in nature. They are happening nearly constantly, and anyone with the proper understanding of the gods can interpret them. The difference that I perceive between this and divination magic is that divination magic is calling up a god and asking him a question on the mystic phone, while this feat is more like turning on the radio and finding out if any god is broadcasting something interesting.

True, true, and I had considered this Knowledge: Religion more than anything else. Good analogy, by the way. Now I gotta go see the movie that Homer did a screenplay for.

rkanodia

First Post
MarauderX said:
True, true, and I had considered this Knowledge: Religion more than anything else. Good analogy, by the way. Now I gotta go see the movie that Homer did a screenplay for.
Like the thread title says, it's an OK movie. Don't get your hopes up. I mean, I found it to be worth the cost of admission, but then, I caught a free sneak preview on campus...

Anabstercorian

First Post
I thought it was pretty good. The fight scenes are exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to see from high level fighters. Really, the whole thing is pretty fantastic - At times a strain to keep up with, but a pleasure if you can. The 'achilles heel' bit - THAT was fantastic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads