• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True D&D style movies, comics and anime!

tecnodemon

First Post
Ok here is a question or challegnge for you fans out there. Can you list all the movies, comics, anime and computer games with the same feel and style as D&D? The D&D movie and Lord of the RIings and offical games out.
My list are:
Willow (Val Kimer)
Record of Lodoss War (anime)
Final Fantasy series (video game)
Warlands (comic)
Theses is what I came up with. What can add to the list?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Some movies that I can name from the genre include Excalibur, Dragonslayer, The Princess Bride, The 13th Warrior, Time Bandits, The Beastmaster (the original movie and the series), Clash of the Titans, the two Conan movies, The Dark Crystal, Dragonheart, Dungeons and Dragons, Hawk The Slayer, Jabberwocky, Krull, Kull the Conqueror, Labyrinth, Ladyhawke, Legend, The Odyssey (mamy versions), The Raven, Red Sonya, Sinbad (several movies), and The Sword and the Sorcerer.

Last edited:

tecnodemon

First Post
Well the tru D& style I am looking for the ones the mood and feel for D&D, like epic, fantastical and the oddness. have the non-human race as main caharceters, magic and the faithful.

I would agree on some of what you listed but not all. Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Krull (maybe) and Legend the what I consider in the trueist sense of D&D.
The rest are just "d20" settings IMHO.

Mark

tecnodemon said:
Well the tru D& style I am looking for the ones the mood and feel for D&D, like epic, fantastical and the oddness. have the non-human race as main caharceters, magic and the faithful.

I would agree on some of what you listed but not all. Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Krull (maybe) and Legend the what I consider in the trueist sense of D&D.
The rest are just "d20" settings IMHO.

I admit to have stretched the feel a bit, but Conan (and Kull) not D&D? Where ya been? ;) Robert E Howard's stories are one of the influences of the game as mentioned by Gygax himself in this post here-

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=708085&highlight=influences#post708085

Surely you're not telling me the man who helped invent the game is lying to us...? :p

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I thing 13th Warrior is pretty close to a D&D game. It had the rangers, fighters, and barbarians fighting against a group of savage beasts.

So there were no Clerics or mages, with 13 fighter types in party do you really need a cleric :p

Princess Bride is D&D all way, to the screwy plans, over the top characters and modern jargon mixed into the dialouge. Really listen to your gaming group sometimes when they talk to NPC's.

Sword and Sorcerer, yup D&D. Main characters first name Talon, some of our first D&D chacters were named something like that, come on admit it.

Comics with the D&D feel

Lets see Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance come to mind

The D&D movie had less a D&D feel than some of these movies. That not an opinion :D

John Crichton

First Post
Shrek. ;)

Also in the same vein are Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves & Braveheart. No real fantasy elements in Braveheart but look no further for a well-done medival set-piece.

Edit: Let's not forget Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
The Berserk Anime and Manga are very close in a lot of ways.

I believe that Record of the Lodoss Wars has already been mentioned. Good stuff there. The second version (OVA I think), is probably a little better.

Some enjoy Slayers but I probably prefer Fenghusi Yugi (I think that's how it's spelled).

Vampire Hunter D would be perfect for a Darwin's World/Fading Suns type deal. Gamma World?

I agree with Excaliber, Willow, Conan (first, not the second), Highlander (first, skip the rest), and I'm sure there are many, many others. Some of those movies we loved don't hold up quite as well. I saw the Sword and the Sorcerer I think with David Caradine with that three bladed sword. Man, what was I thinking?

tecnodemon

First Post
Ok then show or tell me a movie , comic or anime that has not been mtioned that has the epic scope, oddness and all typical D&D style races and gods all in one!

Conan has the look but not feel to me IMO.
Willow, Dark Crystal and Legend comes closer than Conan.
There is Historical Fantasy (Excalibur or 13th Warrior), Pulp Fantasy (Conan) and then there's D&D Fantasy (LOTR or Legend)

Last edited:

Mark

tecnodemon said:
Ok then show or tell me a movie , comic or anime that has not been mtioned that has the epic scope, oddness and all typical D&D style races and gods all in one!

Conan has the look but not feel to me IMO.

No offense but I can't help you...

Remove ads