• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E True Polymorph: Creature to Object

Undrhil

Explorer
I was considering True Polymorph for the utility of turning a bad guy into a rock and keeping him, but reading the Creature into Object section of the spell has me wondering if that's a good idea.

PHB said:
Creature into Object. If you turn a creature into an object, it transforms along with whatever it is wearing and carrying into that form. The creature’s statistics become those of the object, and the creature has no memory of time spent in this form, after the spell ends and it returns to its normal form.

That last line seems to indicate that after the spell ends, the creature returns to it's original form. No permanence or anything. Does that last line override the permanence clause of the spell lasting for the full hour of concentration?

I was considering True Polymorph for the utility of turning a bad guy into a rock and keeping him, but reading the Creature into Object section of the spell has me wondering if that's a good idea.

That last line seems to indicate that after the spell ends, the creature returns to it's original form. No permanence or anything. Does that last line override the permanence clause of the spell lasting for the full hour of concentration?

That line only says what it says. It doesn't affect the duration of the spell, only what happens when the spell ends. 5E generally doesn't needlessly repeat rules text.

Keep in mind that even after the polymorph has become "permanent", successfully casting Dispel Magic will still revert the target to it's original form.

Remove ads