• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Seeing

Sir Whiskers

First Post
It's a 5th-level spell (clerical), so the formula is:

5*9*2,000gp = 90,000 gp

Sor/Wiz would be:

6*11*2,000gp = 132,000 gp

Given how powerful a persistent effect is when used for a spell with a normal duration of only 1 minute/level, I might require the use of the Persistent Spell feat in Tome and Blood. That feat would change the clerical spell to 9th level. The new formula is:

9*17*2,000gp = 306,000 gp

306K seems high, but an always-on True Seeing would be cheap at 90K. 132K might be about right. Just my 2 cents'.

Berk

First Post
Formula's are just a guide, not the letter of the law.

In other news. In Defenders of the Faith there is an item that bestows permanent true seeing and a +1 luck bonus to AC while worn and only costs around 90kgp.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Berk, I agree completely. In a campaign where gold is rarer than normal, 90K can easily be too high. In my current campaign, where I've been more generous than normal, it's too low. The best example of formulas being wrong has to be Boots of Striding and Springing (2,500gp to double your Speed!) Still, they at least give someone a starting point.

kreynolds

First Post
Sir Whiskers said:
In a campaign where gold is rarer than normal, 90K can easily be too high. In my current campaign, where I've been more generous than normal, it's too low.

This is known as "inflation", by the way. ;)

Sir Whiskers said:
The best example of formulas being wrong has to be Boots of Striding and Springing (2,500gp to double your Speed!) Still, they at least give someone a starting point.

No, actually. They are 6,000 gp (errata).

Damn you, Spatz. :p

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Renaissance Man said:
What price tag would you assign to an item that bestowed a persistent true seeing effect?

Check the gem of seeing in the DMG. It's 75,000. A player in one of my games made an eyepatch out of one of those.

Azul

First Post
Re: Re: True Seeing

kreynolds said:

Check the gem of seeing in the DMG. It's 75,000. A player in one of my games made an eyepatch out of one of those.

A lich in my former campaign had a gem of seeing mounted in one of its eye sockets (in a gold mounting). The (rather vain) lich's entire skeleton was decorated with gold and platinum filigree and gem insets, allowing me to sneak a few magical goodies like that gem of seeing into fixed positions on her body.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Sir Whiskers said:
Anyone else think 6K is still too low for the Boots? Put those babies on a tank in full plate - or a mid-level monk - and look out!
No. For the tank, 40' of movement is nice, but for an extra 2,000gp he can get Boots of Speed. And the monk already has more movement than he knows what to do with. Movement is really nice, but not that nice!

Remove ads