• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Skill - new spell

Sayburr

First Post
My player wants this spell. I told him it was too unbalanced... what are your thoughts?

True Skill
Divination
Level : Sor/Wiz 1
Components : V
Casting Time : 1 action
Range : Personal
Target : You
Duration : 1 minute/level

You gain intuitive insight to the task at hand. You gain a +20 insight bonus to skill checks made during the duration of the spell.

Berandor

lunatic
Too unbalanced.
Not only has it a better duration than "True Strike", but it also counts for more than one check.

Furthermore, "any skill" is better than an "attack roll".

Berandor

Sayburr

First Post
That is how I felt, but how do I explain that to the player... here is what he thought:

i got to thinking about it... aren't "to hit" tries actually "battle skill" checks? how long would it take for a fighter to aquire the skill to add 20 to his attack rolls? feats are permanent additions to your checks also, as opposed to the brief, albeit, powerful effects of magic aid. as for the forging of a coin under the effects of a potion... come on, the duration is short. how long did it take for them to forge that coin? how many potions would that take and how much would the cost be to get that many potions? astronomical if they are coming from the same place i buy my potions. also, just like you mentioned , you can assure yourself of a 20 just by taking your time, surely magic can accomplish what merely taking your time can.
i understand maybe limiting it to skills you have or maybe dropping it to a +10 if you are using it on a task that you have no skills in. i didn't feel this was that big of a leap or any big imbalancing spell since it is basically modeled after one in the PHB, i just thought it was a natural progression of being able to use magic to enhance your fighting skills to encompass your other skills like being able to walk that tightrope when you have 6 orcs bearing down on you and you can't take a twenty. in addition to that it would be a unique spell, not available on every corner. i am a sorceress, so it won't even be written down anywhere for some one else to read and steal and flood the campaign. let me know what you think,
TCR

I could really use some help.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads