• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Strike + Disarm attempt = Cheese?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The spellcaster could have used any number of other spells to achieve the same effect (ie - a disarmed opponent). True-strike/disarm is probably the most likely to work, but conversely it also has the most minimal gains (it took you two rounds after all and the guy can just pick up the weapon again).

Casting grease is less likely to work (ie - he could make his save), but has worse consequences (he keeps having to make saves or drop the item).

Casting shatter is again less likely to work, but has far worse consequences.

Unseen servant could be used in conjunction with a normal disarm attempt so that if you're lucky, the weapon is out of reach, not just on the ground.

Etc.

S

shurai

Actually disarming that longsword/bastard sword is a really good idea if you've got the staff, because you get a +4 bonus for the staff being Large.

Suggestion: If it were me, I'd make sure I was fighting defensively before I tried the True Strike + Disarm. That way I'd still be in really good shape for succeeding at the Disarm, and have a slightly higher AC for the Attack of Opportunity.

-S

Kae'Yoss

First Post
comrade raoul said:
...And it's just fantastic for bladesingers, who can cast it as a free action at 6th level.

That's true. My bladesinger regularly used the spell to make one of his weaker attacks in the attack row still hit (he usually used at least a couple of points of power attack). In the final fight (at 30th-level, against a monkish demigod) he had 13 or so true strikes prepared (he had a ring of wizardry III and a row IV, but most of his higher-level slots were stuck with true strikes). And he needed those to be able to hit the enemy with a decent chance of success.

delkain

First Post
I used this tactic as a 2nd level Wizard... I was in back of the major melee combat my group was engaged in when another combatant entered the room behind me. Our Rogue was off to my right and shot at the new combatant. On my turn I turned around and spotted the new foe with a very nice short sword. I had mistakenly memorized truestrike the session prior and did not realize I could not cast it on another party member. I was almost out of spells, so I decided what the heck lets try this out. I cast truestrike. The new combatant casts a spell that forced will saves from the party. The rogue failed his and was on the floor crying... I then went for the disarm. Since I was unarmed (Staff is a heavy weapon when you don't have a haversack for your spellbook.) I went for the steal. I took the AOO and suffered 1/3 of my HP but I wound up holding his short sword. Our dwarven ranger finally broke free of the main fight and came to my assistance and struck hard. Then with the tables turned the chase was on...

I don't believe the tactic is broken... it takes a while to setup. That AOO hurt, so I'd probably never do that again. Then again this crazy Wizard at 3rd level gets offended and decides to take out the initial sentries in Forge of Fury using Invisibility, Ghost Sound, and Magic Missile. Meanwhile the rest of his party is at the bottom of the mountain trying to decide who should really be leader and when we should go in...

Highly risky and I really pushed luck on that one, but it got the group moving again and even I was surprised that they didn't find my dead body at the top.

Delkain

Caliban

Rules Monkey
the_mighty_agrippa said:
i just wanna know what mage is going to cast true strike next a fighter and then wait until next round to disarm him. hoo boy.

warm up those backup characters.

My "mage" does this sometimes.

Of course, my "mage' is a Ftr8/Wiz1/Def1/Dev1. :)

On occasion I have been hasted, and then cast true strike on the extra haste round, 5' stepped in on my normal action, did a barehanded disarm with my first attack, and then beat them about the head and shoulders with their own weapon on my extra attacks.

Most of the time the circumstances don't line up to allow this, but when it happens, it's beautiful. :)

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Enceladus said:
you cant take a 5 foot step to avoid an AoO then cast then do something else.

Yes, you can. As long as you're not moving otherwise in the round, you can (for example) take a 5 foot step, cast a spell, and take a move-equivalent action (in any order).

What Caliban described above (which, I presume, is what your comment referred to) is perfectly fine: True Strike on the hasted action, a 5 foot step, and then a full attack, with the first attack being a disarm.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Enceladus said:
you cant take a 5 foot step to avoid an AoO then cast then do something else.

In fact, you can:
Step away: Free Action
Cast: Standard Action
Do something else*: Move Action

*This something else must be something that can be done with a move action, but not moving your speed, as you wouldn't get the 5-ft-step then. But you could draw a weapon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads