• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Strike + Disarm attempt = Cheese?

Koshea

First Post
Course my favorite is to cast invisibility on my owl familiar then walk into the last encounter with the BBEG and cast truestrike on him before he flies over and disarms the guy in the same round.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Course my favorite is to cast invisibility on my owl familiar then walk into the last encounter with the BBEG and cast truestrike on him before he flies over and disarms the guy in the same round.

Depends on your DMs policy on AoOs vs invisible opponents :)

-Hyp.

Koshea

First Post
My DM's policy
Opposed Listen or Spot and it still has full concealment even if you succeed in determining where it's at.

You ever try to spot an invisible person? It's almost as hard as hearing an owl flying

Koshea

First Post
Well, no, not a real one. But I did pretty well picking out the Predator at the theatre...

I missed that check trying to pick out Bilbo in the first LOTR movie though...

Antikinesis

First Post
Koshea said:
Kinda risky, getting that close and casting a spell ...

On Share Spells, from the SRD:
If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, the spell stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away.
[EDIT] (I'm assuming that you're aware that True Strike has range Personal, and cannot be cast on anyone except yourself, hence my reference to the Share Spells ability). [/EDIT]

-AK

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
There are two ways to use Share Spells.

You can cast one spell that affects both of you, in which case you need to stay within 5'.

Or, you can cast a Personal-Range spell that affects your familiar instead of you, in which case the 5' limit does not apply.

-Hyp.

Valiantheart

First Post
shurai said:
Actually disarming that longsword/bastard sword is a really good idea if you've got the staff, because you get a +4 bonus for the staff being Large.

-S

Errr....no you dont. You only get a +4 bonus to resist being disarmed, not for attempting to disarm.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Valiantheart said:

Errr....no you dont. You only get a +4 bonus to resist being disarmed, not for attempting to disarm.

Er... yes you do. Get a bonus on your attempt, that is.

If the weapons are different sizes, the opponent with the larger weapon gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the target is using a weapon in two hands, he gets an additional +4 bonus. If the character beats the target, the target is disarmed. If a character attempted the disarm action unarmed, the character now has the weapon. Otherwise, it drops to the ground at the target's feet. If the character fails, then the target may make an attempt to disarm the character as an immediate, free action.

So, a quarterstaff vs. a longsword gives the quarterstaff wielder +4 on the disarm attempt. If that attempt fails, the quarterstaff user gets +8 to resist the counter-disarm attempt.

-z

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
the_mighty_agrippa said:
i just wanna know what mage is going to cast true strike next a fighter and then wait until next round to disarm him. hoo boy.

warm up those backup characters.

Well, you start the combat 70' away. First round, you cast True Strike and move 30. Next round, you move 30' and Disarm the fighter with your wizard's Spiked Chain. Hey, if you're getting +20 on the roll, that -4 nonproficiency penalty isn't that bad. Especially since the chain gives you +2 on disarm attempts.

-z, whose wizards carry reach weapons and dress like Rangers, what for to discourage intelligent foes from charging.

Remove ads