• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 question

Midnight Dawns

First Post
A friend and I are looking at using True20 to run a game come this next school semester and we like most of what we have read. The only thing we are unsure about is the combat. The game is to be set in fantasy homebrew that has certain "rules". We looked at True20 because of what seems like a certain flexibility in the system. Has anyone here had experience with True20? How does combat play out? Is there another system you would recommend over it?

P.S.
Thanks for the help.

Angellis_ater

First Post
It all depends on what kind of combat you want. True20 combat is often lethal, scary and harsh, especially on those whom haven't focused on it. An adept without combat-focused powers is easily in a :):):):):):) situation when swords are drawn.

I like this, some hate it. So it depends on what kind of gamestyle you want.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
There are optional rules to make it slightly less lethal, or put hit points back into it. Personally, I dig True20 because of its flexibility. I used it for a post apocalyptic game for a while, and I used it as the core set of rules for the Reign of Discordia setting, which is a space opera and was published through Gunmetal Games. All in all, I think it's an excellent system and if you're considering it, you should give it a try. If you don't like it, go with something else.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
I absolutely love True20, but cannot find anyone locally who want to play it (hard to find anyone locally to play anything anymore unfortunately.) I've played several times and the system is very good (we did a couple modern games with it) and I've been itching to try it for fantasy at some point.

Aus_Snow

First Post
It's a pretty solid game, that works well for fantasy, IME.

There are a few people who know all about it here, but you might also want to check out the true.com forums - *very* high signal to noise ratio, helpful folks, great ideas, etc. Nowhere near as popular as these boards (go figure, eh) but excellent, all the same.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads