• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 vs Savage Worlds?

Prest0

First Post
Turanil said:
On the other hand I agree that SW magic system is bland and standard.
The key to magic in Savage Worlds is emphasizing "trappings"-- the particular characteristics of your spell effects. Savage Worlds' failing is that the magic system presented in the book is *so* generic and *so* universal that it lacks all flavor. In essence, its strength is also its weakness. The book makes it clear that you're supposed to assign a particular trapping to a spell. You don't cast "bolt" (magic missle) as written in the book--instead you might cast "deadly sting" of bees if you're a nature-type, or "unerring stone" if you're a wizard. Yet the mechanics are the same--"bolt".

Giving the magic "life" in the setting requires more work and imagination on the part of the player, and in d20 we're used to having things spoon-fed to us. My own gaming group (all former d20 players) has mostly fallen into the habit of defaulting to "I'm casting bolt," without taking the effort to come up with their own trappings. In the Savaged campaign I'll be running this Fall, I'll be requiring any spellcaster to come up with their own spell name and trapping before I'll let them use the spell in game.

Turanil

First Post
Prest0 said:
In the Savaged campaign I'll be running this Fall, I'll be requiring any spellcaster to come up with their own spell name and trapping before I'll let them use the spell in game.
Good point. I think this idea can also be applied to True20 powers, which are also somewhat generic.

Jack Morgan

First Post
Turanil said:
I just downloaded the True Force document, to play Star Wars using True20; in this case I don't feel the need for additional classes. I once considered an EarthSea campaign, and in that case too, the rules are pefect as they are, at least for me. However, when you read the EarthSea novels, there is only one type of magic-users, so the Adept is enough; then there is not much emphasize on other character types, so the Warrior and Expert will cover everything.

Now I like variety, and then I want clerics (with a crusader style) in my vanilla fantasy setting, who are not identical to wizards (but casting spells using wisdom instead of inteligence). As such, I don't see why not adding an "Initiate" class (although I have not much ideas how to design it at this time). Then, I found a "Runecharger" class made by someone on the True20 forums, that brings a different feel, and I don't see why not adding it. It would be effective for making Spellsword or Artificer types. Lastly, why not create also a Disciple class for making monks, ninjas, yogis, etc.

I am aware that most True20 gamers think the 3 core classes are not only enough, but no other class could be added. I agree that the game can be played perfectly with the 3 classes, especially in settings with a single sort of magic. But myself, I wouldn't mind adding one or more, even if they are not absolutely necessary.

I'm writing a fantasy setting for true20, and the way I'm handeling different types of spellcasters is by making power lists. If you are a snowape shaman you have access to one list, if you are a Murian Bloodmage you have access to another, if you are a priest of the Bone God it is another list...ect. This solves two problems- it keeps the magic relatively low, as befits my setting, and creates a difference between spell casters; but they are all adepts with the same core ability. I am also taking some things off the list entirely, such as Teleport, which just screws things up, imo.

Karl Green

First Post
Bretbo said:
I don't know your experience, but having the Wild Die makes PCs way "cool" compared to NPCs, bennies or not.

Well, this is just personal again, so take with a grain of salt ;)

IMO the Wild Die does help vs. mooks etc but just a little and there is just to much 'random chance' for my liking. The difference between a 1d6 skill and a 1d8 or 1d10 is not all that great, so rolling 2d6 and hoping to get a 6 is about the only way you are going to succeed at most actions. If you have Bennie points you increase your odds a great deal as now you are rolling 4 dice as it were, and hoping to max out to succeed.

If you have a lot of Mooks then, the GM has a good chance of 'maxing' out with one or more of the NPC as he is rolling so many dice (attacks or whatever).

Yes tricks, taunting and maneuvers can help but it can be repeative in my mind...

Again, this is just my personal feelings about it... I have a number of friends who LOVE and swear by Savage World. Its not a bad game, just not my go-to game (which I wish is was cause I am REALLY looking forward to the Savage World of Solomon Kane and Rocketmen)

Gothmog

First Post
I've played and run quite a bit of Savage Worlds, and I'd have to give the edge to it for being easier to play, run, and prepare for. Very rarely during a SW game have we had to reference the book- the rules are so easy and simple that they effectively become invisible during play. Thats a BIG plus for SW for my group. Also, character creation in SW takes 15 minutes, tops. Finally, the fact that there is much less calculation and number crunching in SW than in D20 or True 20 makes it much more appealing to casual gamers or gamers who aren't into number crunching.

I've played some True 20, although I haven't run it yet. It plays pretty well, and its rules are less obtrusive than D20, but the book still had to be referenced quite a bit for specifics. Fights are quicker in True 20 than in D20, but they are MUCH slower than a SW combat.

Comparing the two systems, I'd have to say I prefer SW for action-oriented games like Deadlands, pulp adventure, or more lighthearted games. True 20 is a better fit for horror, sci-fi, and gritty settings. I'm wanting to run a Fading Suns game with the True 20 system- it seems like they would be a perfect fit. Both games excel at different things, and I'd use each for different purposes.

ragboy

Explorer
I'm piping in, even though I don't have any True20 experience. I've read the T20 book, but haven't played/run a game.

For my personal situation, Savage Worlds has been the perfect game. My situation may be relatively unique, though. I've been playing with my kids (D&D, AD&D, Star Wars d20, some old Star Frontiers), and Savage Worlds is the best I've seen for keeping younger kids interested in gaming and interested in developing their own adventures (which is really my main goal). Here are my top 5 reasons why:

• Paperwork - Savage Worlds has very little book keeping. With kids, I was either doing it all or trying to convince them that the book keeping was 'a fun part of the game.'

Supplements / Character Options - Everyone (from 5 to 50) understands what Improved Parry means without really reading about it. No one understands what God's Underpants means unless they pick up the "Complete Book of Dieific Skivvies."

Development - It fits the way I build adventures/campaigns much better than any d20 version. I come up with a detailed story that doesn't necessarily 'fit' the rules and I can massage SW and squish it into all the various corners with ease. And I can do it FAST. d20 is slow, ponderous and detailed. I like that complication for some games; I like it for long D&D campaigns (Age of Worms, etc), but SW is the king of "let's game now."

Support - The game has a ton of support. From PEG's Fantasy, Sci Fi and now Pulp toolkits to fan developed stuff. For a game this 'small' there's a big fan base and true developers. And as mentioned, we have Soloman Kane coming, which I'm very interested in.

No Limits - I haven't found a single genre that I couldn't make work quickly and logically. From straight up roleplay (granted, there aren't a lot of 'mechanics' for roleplaying, but that's sort of the whole point, yeah?), to action to horror, etc. I've used it for everything and tried real hard to break it. Haven't played it with adults yet, so I could be totally off base.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think SW is only for kids and I love d20, especially Grim Tales, Modern, Star Wars and D&D, but for fast, furious fun, I'm pretty sold on SW...in case that wasn't apparent.

razorwise

First Post
Comparing True 20 with Savage Worlds

Hello All.

I do development for both systems. I've been a licensee with Pinnacle since 2004 and designed Agents of Oblivion featured in Worlds of Adventure and have gotten to see the evolution of True20 from its initial release to the form it is in today.Though I don't post a lot on these forums, a colleague pointed this thread out to me, and thought I might wish to respond. If you check out the Reality Blurs website here, you'll see my comparison of the two systems.

If I can offer any more insights, please let me know.

As an aside, I noticed some commentary regarding Weird Science and would like to note that my studio's first slated hardback release is the Plot Point Campaign Setting, RunePunk: Steam & Shadow. RunePunk is dark steampunk fantasy that's been over two years in development. Do I use the Weird Science rules? Nope. I built upon the existing core of rules to emulate Inventors and took a different tack to steampunk including clockworks, steam powered devices, and runic energies as well. A complete overview of what RunePunk encompasses is here. I submit it as an example of the strength and extensibility of Savage Worlds. True20, on the other hand, as a newer system, has yet to hit its full stride.

Regards,

Sean Preston
President, Reality Blurs
www.realityblurs.com

Turanil

First Post
razorwise said:
If you check out the Reality Blurs website here, you'll see my comparison of the two systems.

If I can offer any more insights, please let me know.
Interesting review, thanks. One question I still have is: does it induce a much different feel to play one game or the other (with the same setting)? I mean, I read this, and would like to understand better:

razorwise said:
"Savage Worlds, on the other hand, is innately geared towards pulp or cinematic play."
Do you mean that Savage Worlds is before all a game of action and fights, but not of roleplaying? How would it compare to standard d20 in this regard?

razorwise

First Post
Turanil said:
Interesting review, thanks.

You're welcome.

Turanil said:
One question I still have is: does it induce a much different feel to play one game or the other (with the same setting)? I mean, I read this, and would like to understand better:

razorwise said:
Savage Worlds, on the other hand, is innately geared towards pulp or cinematic play.

Do you mean that Savage Worlds is before all a game of action and fights, but not of roleplaying? How would it compare to standard d20 in this regard?

Hello Turanil,

Let me clarify the last point first. Savage Worlds is not a game strictly of action and fights, any more than any other roleplaying game, that depends on the GM's and the group's style and the particular setting. While SW handles combat so deftly and cleanly, it affords a great deal more opportunity for roleplaying and story advancement than some other more cumbersome systems.

When I say it lends itself naturally to a pulp or cinematic style of play, that's no knock. That is where the system has its roots. The design of the system with the characters being Wild Cards puts them immediately a cut above the average joe, just like the heros in a movie. Is this a bad thing? Not at all. It just lends a different feel and allows the players to take more immediate ownership of their characters right out of the gate. The ability to soak wounds and spend bennies (like fate points or conviction points) on rerolls and soaking wounds, though a finite source, helps reinforce the cinematic conceit. Is this a bad thing? Nope. Last time I checked, most gamers love movies, and we all love to emulate the more heroic activities. Does this mean your character is bulletproof or invulnerable? Of course not. You still have advancements during the course of the game. Due to the finite number of wounds, you still can be overwhelmed and captured. Again, just like in the movies. SW allows for a lot of liberties. To paraphrase Dante, the system makes you free to stand or free to fall. ;)

I've been mulling over the general perception of SW and T20 as rules light systems and think it may be more accurate to say that they are rules smart. What do I mean by this? Well, Savage Worlds uses broad sweeping skill categories allowing Edges to refine them.

True20, on the other hand, has feats, but has distilled all the roles down into three primary roles. However, they have blurred the line with the ease in which characters can attain multiple roles and reduced abilities (stats) down to their essence on a scale of +/-5 (in general.) They've also introduced a lot more flexibility into the remnants of the roles where they are truly more frameworks for building a character conception with the main constant being the accessibility to certain attributes and their progression tables for saving throws and combat bonuses.

Why do I go over this again? To better answer your first question. How does the same setting play in two systems? This, I can answer with a specific case instance. I've run Starfall Jungle, the first adventure I developed for Agents of Oblivion, quite a bit for both systems. The feeling is very much the same, since the setting is the same, but the play is a bit different. Akin to comparing Resident Evil on a PS2 with an Xbox. Each platform has certain features that can be highlighted and made to shine. When playing AoO for Savage Worlds, there is a more cinematic feeling, akin to a James Bond flick. Granted, overlaying 12 to Midnight's Fear Effects rules, does modify this feeling somewhat, it was not exactly the same as in T20. AoO in T20 played a great deal like Splinter Cell. The characters were filled with suspense and dread as they moved through the scenario. Part of this is due to the more refined Sanity system I developed for AoO, part of it is due to the feel of the setting, and the remaining part is due to the fragility of the characters when faced with autofire and creatures beyond their normal ken.

Combat in both systems is very fast and fluid, once you know it. If one pauses to reflect on the learning curve for both, they are about the same. A good GM can run characters just as quickly through a T20 game as a SW game. T20 is just more front-loaded, but using any of the settings released for it provides archetypes both to define the setting and to allow a low barrier to entry. Yes, you have to jot down a good bit of numbers, but it pales next to some other systems.

To give you a comparison, the last time I ran a d20 game, it was D&D 3.5, and the initial scene for one dungeon level had a goodly number of creatures the characters were to encounter in this gigantic cavern. It was set up to give them a feel that "they weren't in Kansas any more" and to suggest the dangers and new adversaries facing off against them. It took hours and hours to run this one combat scenario. I had three experienced players and things were going along at a normal clip, but they were at a level where it just took much longer to resolve combat than is enjoyable for people that love to roleplay. That is what prompted my search for a more fluid system and drove me to investigate other roleplaying systems, including Savage Worlds. I haven't looked back since, but chose then to develop for systems that are story forward - that have a nifty set of mechanics that don't get in the way of the enjoyment and actually enhance it.

Hopefully, I've offered some comprehensive answers to your questions. If not, let me know.

Regards,

Sean Preston
President, Reality Blurs
www.realityblurs.com

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Turanil said:
This is not the first time you've mentioned something along this line. You may find this article by Monte Cooke useful for a slight shift in perspective.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads