• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Truely Scarriest Horror Movies Ever?

Darthjaye

First Post
So, what movie has and still does send chills up your spine and make you search the house for strange creatures after viewing? What truely diabolical creation still makes you sweat and your sleep patterns become erratic for the next day or so? I mean really scary movies that still do it, and not nostalgic classics that entertain you. For me, the Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter 1987) still has a creep factor to it that I enjoy. Another that does it for me is In the Mouth of Madness.

Drunken Master

First Post
Jaws & The Shining!
I guess I was too old (like 21 or so) when I say The Exorcist for the first time; I was disappointed, it wasn't scary to me at all.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
The last movie I watched that got under my skin was the remake of House on Haunted Hill. The story and final monster were cheesy as hell, but the way the doc was portrayed with his shifty movement of fast, then slow, then shaking was creepy to me.

Beyond that, The Haunting (the original) was pretty scary. That was a horror movie done right. Horror isn't about gore and blood, but about using the mundane mixed with sounds and the building of tension that's truly scary. The Haunting was nothing but shadow and sound utilized perfectly.

I also have a spot for zombies. Yep, I'm afraid of zombies. It's not the living dead, since that would be silly, it's the feeling of hopelessness and panic that a good zombie movie will evoke that gets to me. That's why I like slow zombies. You can outrun them, you can easy dispatch them, but there's always more and you have a finite amount of energy to run and ammo to shoot. Before long, it's a slow and agonizing death in the face of a shambling horde...

Kane

Kane

DonTadow

First Post
Ju'on and Ju'on 2 litterally scared the heck out of me when I watched them. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I watched them at home as opposed to a movie theater, but I hadn't been scared like that in a long time. Not as an adult.

When I was a child movies like Demon's and Rosemary's baby kept me up all night. And any movie with talking skeletons. But as an adult it wasn't until I saw Ju'on and Ju'on 2 that I slept with the light on in the fetal position next to my girlfriend. Everytime I drive i make sure there's nothing near the gas pedal and if I hear any thumping in my house I'm calling the freakin landlord.

Another vote for The Exorcist -- the sound effects and occassional single-frame intercuts are freaky.

Prince of Darkness is also damn scary.

Blair Witch Project gave me nightmares.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" creeps me out, although it's not a pure horror movie.

Hmm... John Carpenter has made a lot of scary movies!

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Tha Blair Witch Project got to me initially, but the 3rd and 4th times I watched it I kept thinking, how can someone get lost when they are following a creek? That thought ruined the scariness of the movie for me. Good acting though from 3 unknowns.

Kane

Alhazred

First Post
The original The Haunting, directed by Robert Wise and starring Julie Harris. The novel upon which it was based, written by Shirley Jackson, was - and still is - equally terrifying.

Remove ads