Truename Magic

Summer-Knight925

First Post
So I'm a big of an idiot in this area of magic, and I would like to learn more about Truename magic, if anyone knows anywhere to start (other than 'teh interwebz') I'd enjoy it.

Also, what is your personal take on Truename magic?

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Like magic itself, how important names are varies from setting to setting. In worlds where they're important, like Dresden Files or the Eragon series, they're big. In those two, if you can use a person's true name as part of a spell, they have essentially no defense whatsoever. The times I've seen rules introduced in various versions of D&D, it's usually as some penalty to saving throws.

How hard they are to discover varies as well. In the Dresden Files, Harry has four names and is very careful to never say them all together. There, you have to know the name and know exactly how the target says it. With Eragon, true names are a mystic word. Most people never know theirs and discovering it by accident is almost traumatic. They can even change over time if a person radically changes who they are, such as a major good/evil shift.

In game terms, it can be as powerful as the DM wants. You just need to consider how powerful it is compared to how easy they are to discover. If they're powerful and easy to come by, you're giving your spellcasters the equivalent of a +5 Holy Avenger with no strings attached.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
I've been struggling with working them into my game, as I am working on a new system and I want truename magic to be one of the schools, and they would be powerful, simply saying a creatures name could turn it into dust, but by using truename magic, you risk being noticed by powerful beings. Such as the gods.

I was thinking having the 'species' name, like the truename of balrogs for instance, and saying that would target them even more and make the save harder, but then if you knew say....orcus's truename, you could say it to him and he could instantly be sucked through his own face into oblivion.

I also wasn't going to have truenames for just anybody. Powerful undead (liches and vampires), Dragons, Fey, Outsiders, Abberations, and any of those not mentioned who rose to power. For instance, a powerful wizard would have a truename, while a house cat would not. Of course...a power house cat would have a truename....

Either way, I'm just trying to balance it with other spells, as his system uses a mana score (burning hands costs 5, fireball costs 20, meteor swarm costs 200) and seeing how truename works could be interesting.

I never thought of it as 'I say the demon's truename and then cast X at him' and it makes X more powerful, or rather, the demon weaker to it, but its a good thought.

TDRandall

Explorer
Tome of Magic (WOTC product), starting at page 191?

It's a book I own but have not gotten to reading yet, so I'm afraid that's about all I can suggest. I'll be looking forward to what others contribute, though.

(edit: that's a 3e book, in case you are coming at the subject from a 4e perspective, but perhaps there would still be something worthwhile within it.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
D&D True Name magic in ToM isn't all that well done, honestly. IMHO, it should have been implemented as a subset of the school of Divination. It would have boosted the utility of both.

Ranes

Adventurer
You'll encounter true name magic in Larry Niven's The Magic Goes Away and The Magic May Return, if you're interested in fiction.

I was always a big fan of the idea, which is why I was delighted when it showed up in 3e's Tome of Magic. Unfortunately, the treatment it got didn't turn out to be all that great.

Hactarcomp

First Post
Another place in fiction that has Truename magic is the Earthsea series by Ursual LeGuin. It also points out the danger of letting your truename slip out and makes the act of sharing ones truename the closest form of trust available.

All true names are in the Old Speech, which wizards cannot lie in and takes tremendous effort to learn. Dragons, on the other hand, speak only Old Speech and can lie in it. It makes an interesting point about magical powers and the nature of dragons as well. My impression is that dragons are not afraid of letting their truename out, that they are somehow immune to it or are so magical that nothing a human could do could harm them.

Quickleaf

Legend
Piggybacking on the Earthsea usage of True Names, they can also be used for good magic, such as when the old mage uses the shapeshifted Sparrowhawk's True Name to return him to the form of a man.

Summer-Knight925

First Post
it seems as though truemagic is not a school of magic, but a different style altogether.

Like, a wizard may learn to cast spells through study, studying the words and movements used, while a truenamer (let's go with "Caller") simply uses the words.

If you can change someone whos polymorphed from a bird back to their form, is it not acting like many other spells?

perhaps truename magic could be a subcategory, where rather than studying it, you find a truename, a scroll with the truename on it, and from there you have power gained by it.

For instance, the 'truename' of a archdevil is learned by a mortal, and with that he has power over the archdevil, thus bending the devil to his will and unleashing hosts of devils onto the land. Not only is it a great tool for players, but also a tool for DMs.

Interesting....
I will think into this, assuming I didn't just start a 'THAT SOUNDS SO LAME!' post...which if it did, please let me know.

Janx

Hero
it seems as though truemagic is not a school of magic, but a different style altogether.

Close, but you may have also jumped a conlusion shark when you said 'truemagic", I suspect you meant to say True Name magic. There's no such thing as TrueMagic, given that magic of many forms exist, one is no less true than another. it would be like saying Robins are TrueBirds, and other birds like cardinals are not. They are all birds. It is True.

Having someone's TrueName is like having their cosmic IP Address. A programmer would see it as having the direct memory pointer to the memory space in reality that represents them. A physicist may see it as a verbal representation of the exact reference to an object as defined by quantum string theory.

The gist is, if you have their TrueName, you have them, if every sense of the meaning.

Casting a spell to manipulate a target normally needs a token, representing the target. Voodoo uses dolls for instance. You might use a lock of hair to find a missing child for example. This token is a representation of your target. The farther removed from actually being the target, the more energy required and the less precise and accurate the finding and delivery of the payload to the target.

A TrueName simplifies all of that. If you thought having a piece of dead hair which has been detached from the subject for minutes or more and has now gained experiences all its own made for a good targeting mechanism, you're in the "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" category of magic user.

Once you invoke the subject's TrueName, you have your finger on them. It's like getting realtime positioning updates from Google on your iPhone, only better. It's like knowing she's going to say "Yes" before you ever meet the girl you're going to marry.

This is why we don't go giving out our TrueNames willy nilly. It's like handing out your credit card, home address, driver's license and key to the house all in one. Even your given name has some inklings of that power. It's why we're sometimes hesitant to give somebody our real or full name. It's because some little itch in the back of our mind doesn't trust this guy and knows we're about to have a Sharing Violation.

Luckily, for most humans, they don't know their TrueNames, or even that they have one. The jury is still out if this is a bug or a feature. To know your TrueName, you have to really know yourself. There are some people who are that deep, and though they may not be able to vocalize it, they know their True Self and thus have glimpsed their TrueName.

Outsiders, those not from the mortal plane, be it demons, fey, and all that other wierd stuff sit at a different level in reality. As such, they know themselves and their place in the universe and can see their own TrueName.

Knowing your TrueName means that you are manipulating those quantum string thingies. It means that you too can make stuff happen, what the humans would call Magic. Doing so ultimately means manipulating the universe from the point in space defined by your TrueName. As such, every time you do it, an observer MIGHT be able to glean your TrueName, if they were truly looking for it.

Outside, where things live longer than the fruitfly lifespan of humans, things work a bit different. Posession of a TrueName is like having a slave. If you have the will, you can make them do your bidding or suffer. This is why TrueNames are so closely guarded. To be enthralled because somebody has your TrueName is one of the most humilating positions to be in. It's a fate worse than sleeping in dog poo.

Now that you know a little more about TrueNames, here's a recap:
  • don't share your TrueName, even with your girlfriend.
  • you can use it to aim your spells with deadly accuracy.
  • you can make your subject do your bidding
  • you own their soul or essence.
  • you can't recover a TrueName, once your enemy has it, make him dead before he sells it online.

Remove ads