• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trusty Cursed Swords

Norfleet

First Post
I was just pondering at random one day, flipping through the DMG, when I noticed the good, old, trusty, cursed sword -2.

Since the weapon always forces the character to use it, even if he tries to use another weapon, and can't be gotten rid of by anything short of (limited) wish or miracle, doesn't this mean that the character now has a weapon that he can't lose? Even if he leaves it at home, it gets stolen by thieves/captors/jealous wives/etc., if he tries to draw and use another weapon, he'll wind up using THAT one instead.

Pretty neat, huh?

It gets better in 3E, however: Since it's a magic item, and in 3E, people can upgrade their magic items, the person in question could upgrade his cursed sword. Give it a few upgrades, and he could have a +5(+3?) cursed sword of flaming plasma death....that he can't get rid of. While certainly a nuisance when some other weapon is called for, as he'll wind up using that one, he could partially avoid this by dual-wielding the weapons in question, so he'll still be using his cursed sword, AND he can wield another weapon....unless the cursed sword overrides this, and he ends up attacking even MORE with that cursed sword, which is simply another effect to exploit: Dual wield a crappy weapon, and you can get extra attacks with your good weapon!

So what do you think?

Norfleet

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Curses should work Nethack style.

The cursed +3 sword of flaming plasma death welds itself to your hand!

-Hyp.
That works because in Nethack, characters have no lives beyond running around in some godforsaken hellhole and killing things. Funny you should mention cursed non-removables, though: In MUDs, a decent weapon that is non-removable is actually a highly desirable feature, because it cannot be disarmed. I would expect that such a feature would be rather valued in dungeon crawl/arena games, too.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hypersmurf said:
Woo, freaky. According to the timestamps, you replied to my message before I wrote it!

Eek! And I replied to your reply before I replied to the orginal message that prompted your reply to my reply!

This is weird!

-Hyp.

CCamfield

First Post
Do the rules actually say that you can magically enhance a cursed weapon, and how the curse and the beneficial magic interact?

What if the additional enchantments just worsened the curse? Ooooh, a -5 Longsword of No Defense (or something like that, whatever the opposite of a Defender would be).

Remove ads