• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Trying to make a homebrew monster in 3.5.

xigbar

Explorer
As the title implies. I'm already statting it, but I'm looking for some grafts. Most likely, they'll be construct grafts, but I can't seem to find the right ones. The grafts should be appropriate for a CR 10/11, and it's going to be a "boss." Here's a picture for referrence. Also, a nifty template for Lizardfolk that increases size would be a plus as well.

Lizardman_King.gif

krupintupple

First Post
Yeah, looked up the Bluespawn Godslayer and it's kinda on-par, visually. However, if I may? I'd fit it with the half-red dragon template (MM1), for the fiery hue that your sample has, as well as the half-iron golem template (MM2), for the large and bashy mechanical arm. Finally, to replicate the "arrow launcher arm," I'd recommend looking into the Maug grafts, at the back of the Fiend Folio, as there's one called a "Stone Spitter" that acts like a magically-enhanced railgun, but there's nothing to say that it can't look exactly like the one you showed us, and uses arrows instead of rocks or stones.

Hope this helps!

p.s. If you want to be extra sneaky, since the front of the beast is a pale, icy-white, you might even get away with saying that it has Cold Resistance of 10 or 15 - yes, even with it's red-dragon status - but that might be either cheesy, or awesome, depending on how hard you like seeing your players work!

xigbar

Explorer
So, am I looking at a punching mechanism on one arm and a shield on the far arm? or spikes out of it's belly?

I'm thinking a Spawn of Tiamat, MM IV. Maybe Bluespawn Godslayer or Greenspawn Sneak.

Yes, and no. The other arm is basically like a triple croosbow, which I don't remember the book of. The creature should be huge, just by the way.

Yeah, looked up the Bluespawn Godslayer and it's kinda on-par, visually. However, if I may? I'd fit it with the half-red dragon template (MM1), for the fiery hue that your sample has, as well as the half-iron golem template (MM2), for the large and bashy mechanical arm. Finally, to replicate the "arrow launcher arm," I'd recommend looking into the Maug grafts, at the back of the Fiend Folio, as there's one called a "Stone Spitter" that acts like a magically-enhanced railgun, but there's nothing to say that it can't look exactly like the one you showed us, and uses arrows instead of rocks or stones.

Hope this helps!

p.s. If you want to be extra sneaky, since the front of the beast is a pale, icy-white, you might even get away with saying that it has Cold Resistance of 10 or 15 - yes, even with it's red-dragon status - but that might be either cheesy, or awesome, depending on how hard you like seeing your players work!

That sounds cool, but, you can't have grafts from more than one type of creature, if I'm not mistaken.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'll like go with that in addition, but is this there no "mechanical claw" graft?
-Maug grafts are actuially a pretty good way to go, because the Maug are stone constructs. The Shove Arm does a bull rush attack by having a piston attached to your arm. The Stone Splitter, as mentioned, is pretty nifty as well.
-Fiend Folio also has Illithid Weapon Grafts, where a weaon replaces a hand. Essentially, you've got a weapon that cannot be disarmed. You might be able to mount a mace or hammer to pull off the image as it appears.
-Libris Mortus has Undead grafts of a skeleton hand for slashing attacks and a zombie arm for slam attacks.
-Faiths of Eberron has construct grafts but IMO they're lame and will not do what you're looking for. Mighty Arms is the construct graft, which grants you a slam attack appropriate for your size.

Remove ads