D&D 5E Trying to make player's Warlock Patron more interesting (hexblade)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is part of what I don't like about the 5e Hexblade, the flavor behind it is "meh" to me. The way they describe it in Xanathar's, the Patron is the "mysterious entity" from the Shadowfell that manifests in sentient magic weapons, but there's nothing that says the Hexblade Warlock needs to actually possess such a weapon. It's all a bit fuzzy. They even hint that the Raven Queen might the the entity behind these weapons, and that she's the one the Hexblade actually makes their Pact with. Which just makes me even more bitter they didn't bring in the Raven Queen Warlock from UA :)
So much this!

It doesn’t help that the “mysterious entity” is characterized so differently from the Raven Queen. Kinda seems like they just threw that part in.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I was planning to play a hexblade very soon. Unlike some folks here, I did not feel compelled to hew too closely to a Raven Queen or anything else. In fact, I know little to nothing about the Raven Queen.

Using the Shadowfell (don't know tons about this either) as inspiration, I was planning a patron who appears as a giant moth creature associated with decay and change. Perhaps the mysterious being is vested in things taking a natural course or it could have utterly alien or simply mysterious motives.

I took my inspiration from the Mothman Prophesies which are freaky! (Visited the town where is supposedly occurred too!). But I digress.

I encourage people to make their own stuff up. Do not feel so beholden to suggestions in the book! This is D&D for Pete's sake! Get creative!

This is one reason I generally like homebrew campaign settings. I find it discouraging when people feel a need to be totally congruent with "canon" instead of flexing their own creative muscles. I can only imagine the frustration of a DM being told "No! Drizzt was not in this town during that year! The books clearly state he was being annoyingly good elsewhere and furthermore...."

Respectfully: make something up you think is cool and ignore the fluff you are not that into. Simple.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
The hexblade makes a pact with a "shadowy entity" that may or may not be the Raven Queen. They don't carry that entity around with them. So you can treat their patron like any other patron.

EDIT: Damn! Ninja'd!

Right here. This is the response you are looking for.

jgsugden

Legend
As with all things D&D, consider looking to Tolkien for inspiration. A powerful force for darkness creates magic items that grant power, but at the same time expose the owner to danger? Sounds like a ringer of a story.

At first the Warlock feels like he just has a magic weapon. It allows him to blast eldritch might and curse enemies... neat! But then he notices something when his enemies fall. As they die, his blade is draining them of something. He can see it in their eyes... They don't just die... Their soul is ... taken? Devoured? Then the voices begin. Promising him more power as he tells more enemies. It only takes the souls of the Damned it says. Their actions in life sealed their fate. The weapon is just carrying out the Will of the Gods. And it isn't even the real blade... just a lesser blade in the service of the master blade. They should go find the true blade... The story continues to escalate until the PCs have to decide whether to oppose the force because it is evil, or use it because they need it to stop greater evils.

Or the PC inherited the blade from his grandfather, a powerful master of might and magic who died many years ago, but who's body was only found recently. But, as soon as the PC lifts her blade, the weapon reveals itself it discovers that the weapon was the source of their grandfather's power... and is now so weak from not feeding that it can only offer meager power to the new owner. But, the more she uses the blade, the more it will grow in power and share that power with her... It just needs to heal, so it will let her decide how to use that power... at first... But once it has regained some power it will start to suggest options. Then it will ask her for help with ancient unfinished tasks. Then it will lie about other things to keep her doing its bidding willingly...until finally she starts to experience blackouts. And then there is the whole diving into two, etc....

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
In retrospect, I should have given a bit more background.

I already have a full blown NPC in the party, with a secret backstory that is slowly coming to light and all kinds of cool things happening around he/she/it. I'd say it's pretty much a full party member as far as interacting with the PC's, the adventure etc.

I feel like the warlock has been left out, but don't want / need another party member that gets as much 'screen time' as the first one. The game is about the players, not all my NPCs!

We've already established that the hexblade PC has a sentient magic weapon, whether or not it's the actual 'patron' itself or a link to the patron doesn't matter. I want to develop the PC's relationship with the patron beyond the bland 'you get invocations / spells from it' trope.

Very much agree on the raven queen thing it can be anything I want, Ctrl-Alt-Del on whole thing and see what I can come up with...

Ganymede81

First Post
Really all the information they give us about the Hexblade's patron is that it is some power in the Shadowfell. That's really it.

That's enough leeway that the patron could be a sentient weapon, the Raven Queen herself, or any powerful denizen of the plane or related to the plane. Undead like ghosts, liches, and vampires have a powerful connection to the Shadowfell and so would make great patrons.

Personally, my Hexblade's patron is the unquiet ghost of his dead mother.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
As with all things D&D, consider looking to Tolkien for inspiration. A powerful force for darkness creates magic items that grant power, but at the same time expose the owner to danger? Sounds like a ringer of a story.

At first the Warlock feels like he just has a magic weapon. It allows him to blast eldritch might and curse enemies... neat! But then he notices something when his enemies fall. As they die, his blade is draining them of something. He can see it in their eyes... They don't just die... Their soul is ... taken? Devoured? Then the voices begin. Promising him more power as he tells more enemies. It only takes the souls of the Damned it says. Their actions in life sealed their fate. The weapon is just carrying out the Will of the Gods. And it isn't even the real blade... just a lesser blade in the service of the master blade. They should go find the true blade... The story continues to escalate until the PCs have to decide whether to oppose the force because it is evil, or use it because they need it to stop greater evils.

Or the PC inherited the blade from his grandfather, a powerful master of might and magic who died many years ago, but who's body was only found recently. But, as soon as the PC lifts her blade, the weapon reveals itself it discovers that the weapon was the source of their grandfather's power... and is now so weak from not feeding that it can only offer meager power to the new owner. But, the more she uses the blade, the more it will grow in power and share that power with her... It just needs to heal, so it will let her decide how to use that power... at first... But once it has regained some power it will start to suggest options. Then it will ask her for help with ancient unfinished tasks. Then it will lie about other things to keep her doing its bidding willingly...until finally she starts to experience blackouts. And then there is the whole diving into two, etc....

In fact, this made me reconsider my backstory a bit. I like the idea of the evil wizard gifting the captain of the guard a weapon that begins to haunt the guard and suggest rebellion. He double crosses the wizard and sets off on his own.

Although I just realized this has a little bit of vecna in it, I will work to change it for my own. Still like my idea of an alien entity being at work...I am going to combine these ideas. It will take a little work....

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Some random ideas:

* The blade isn't sentient or maybe just doesn't ever communicate with anyone. The Warlock doesn't so much have a pact with the blade as a certain magical attunement to it. The "services" the Warlock might perform for the blade are actually just tasks that the Warlock undertakes to maintain or study the item. Perhaps the blade needs to absorb souls (possibly specific ones)...or cursed magic...or rare types of blood.

* The blade is actually a dark reflection of the Warlock's own soul mirrored through shadowstuff. The blade mirrors the Warlock's actions, drawing them toward death, evil, sorrow, overindulgence, or other themes typically associated with the shadowfell. For example - the blade might start encouraging a Warlock to start fights after getting into a bar-room brawl; kill children after the Warlock overcomes a goblin youth in combat; encouraging excess or demanding to be washed in blood after the Warlock spends repeated night drinking alcohol.

* The blade is a sentient being with its own secret agenda that the Warlock is not at first aware of. Examples might include: Spreading living shadowstuff to the prime material plane (a la Stranger things season 2), destroying a particular entity or civilization, gathering power / souls / artifacts for some obscure extraplanar entity. The blade might whisper suggestions / encouragement to get the Warlock to act in accordance with its desires. Or it acts subtly - becoming heavier or randomly slipping to the ground when it does not wish the Warlock to leave an area, leaping to hand or jerking toward a particular creature when it wants the Warlock to attack, twisting away from things it wants the Warlock NOT to attack. The Warlock may or may not approve of the blade's agenda.

Remove ads