• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to play a warlock...

Brujj

First Post
That's why im making a backup character. Hes a fun character to play..but...he probably will die. Its my first actual high level campaign. Also, somehow, he has 1 level of Wizard. *shrug*. so hes level 15... Isn't there a Feat to "Empower Spell-Like Ability"?

Nevermind. im not thinking very well today. hehe

Shin Okada

Explorer
This is not a prestige class suggestion but Scout/Warlock multiclassing can make an interesting character. Start as a scout, be a human and take Able Leaner feat. Then only take 1 level of scout class and take Warlock class levels thereafter.

Now, you can use Skirmish for your Eldritch blast. So it will compensate slight decrease of your Eldritch Blast advancement. And you can double as a trap dealer as you now have Trap Finding class ability and can learn Search and Disable Device skills at 1 skill point/Rank even when levelling up as a Warlock. It is also good that you can take Listen/Spot skills easily. A Warlock has many enemies. And See the Unseen invocation is good but still need s spot check to notice something.

By taking more levels (3-5), you will lose more caster levels and some number of invocations. But +10 feet of movement (level3) could be nice as Fell Flight is based on your land speed. And Evasion (level 5) is always good and you will get another +1d6 of skirmish damage at that level.

Still, my recommendation is only Scout1/Warlock forever.

Quidam

First Post
NightCrawler said:
3) Any PRC??

I'd advise looking into the Chameleon PrC from Races of Destiny. Most Warlock builds that involve it dip for two levels in order to get a floating feat that you can swap around daily. Why settle for just one item creation feat when you can have whichever you need on a given day, having Extra Invocation for your days in the field.

rgard

Adventurer
Quidam said:
I'd advise looking into the Chameleon PrC from Races of Destiny. Most Warlock builds that involve it dip for two levels in order to get a floating feat that you can swap around daily. Why settle for just one item creation feat when you can have whichever you need on a given day, having Extra Invocation for your days in the field.

You have it correct here. Loads of options!

Thanks,
Rich

taferial

First Post
Im currently playing an 18th lvl human warlock, and the best and most potent feat I have is Extra Invocation.

I took Point Blank and Precise Shot at first level, which realy helped early on, and Improved Precise at 12th, which has not seen any use at all. At 18th lvl however, unless I roll a one I never miss anyway, no matter the penalties.

Evry other feat I have is extra invocation, and the added versatility has realy helped the character stay intresting. Very rarely is my only option to "blast it" I have more buffs, more battlefield controll and a couple of get out of jail free powers, rather than being a self propeled sniper rifle, im a magical maelstrom waiting to happen.

The dragonfire adapt is (imo) a better designed class with better invocations, but you miss out on all the worried looks you get from the rest of the party when you transform onto a cloud of bats and slowly consume the bad guy.

One last peice of advice, dont pass up Eldritch glave.

Jhulae

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Please read my older post at 12-17-07. Halfling has -2 str. When you found a 5 pound powerful rod good for a warlock in a dragon's horde, that rod weighs 5 pounds regardless of your size. So as the Bag of Holding and HHH.

And that 5 pound is not ignorable weight for a str 6, small halfling who can only carry 15 pounds as a light load. Even small chain shirt made of mithral weighs 6.25 pounds and thus that means if he carry HHH and that 5 pound rod, he is encumbered.

Edit: On the other hand, Str 8 human Warlock can wear Mithral Chain Shirt (12.5 pounds) and can carry 13.5 pounds more as light load.

Hewards Handy Haversack is great for a low str character. And, you're also forgetting in point buy, a halfling ends up with a net of 2 points if they go for a starting 'Str:8, Dex:16' over a human. They're still coming out ahead on points.

Also, the MIC armor ability of "Easy Travel" lets a character carry up to a medium load as if it were a light load. So, a Str 8 Halfling can carry up to 40 lbs as a 'light' load while wearing Easy Travel armor.

Last edited:

prospero63

First Post
NightCrawler said:
Thx guys..

One more question is that i ve heard of a PRC named Hellfire Warlock... Do you know from what book is it? Is it good?

It's in the Fiendish Codex II (or I, whichever has devils in it). Personally, I think it's a little over powered, but we will (in a few levels) have someone playtesting it in a game I am running. I'm probably going to spin it with a faustian pact to add the balance I think it needs...

Shin Okada

Explorer
Jhulae said:
And, you're also forgetting in point buy, a halfling ends up with a net of 2 points if they go for a starting 'Str:8, Dex:16' over a human. They're still coming out ahead on points.

If you are not maxing out Dex or at least put 6 ability points on Dex, then the halfling's advantage is +1 bonus and +1AC/Attack from small size. But, Warlock is indeed a multi-ability score-defendant class. And better to have high Con as it is only slightly tougher than sorcerers and wizards. And better to have high Int to max-out many skill though it has only 2+Int bonus skill points. Warlock is not just feats defendant class but also a skill defendant class.

Need high Dex & High CHA. Unless you are making a character with, say, 50 point-buy or something, putting extra 2-points on str for making a halfling warlock "workable" is painful.

And still, the curse of small size and low speed themselves never gone.

Also, the MIC armor ability of "Easy Travel" lets a character carry up to a medium load as if it were a light load. So, a Str 8 Halfling can carry up to 40 lbs as a 'light' load while wearing Easy Travel armor.

Of course, if you are a high level character and have enough money to buy a lot of magic items, there are ways to soften the disadvantages that a small humanoid has. But that means you are investing your money (and/or your XP in case you make it by yourself) to items which usual medium-sized warlock doesn't need. It is called a disadvantage, doesn't it?

Azaar

Explorer
I'm actually playing a CG human warlock right now (finally got my hardcore AD&D roomies to give 3.5 a shot, following our ongoing fun with NWN 2). 10th level... two 14s (STR and WIS), three 16s (DEX, CON and INT) and an 18 (put into CHA, and now 20). I'm just waiting for Imbue Item, so that I can nab some of the item creation feats, as well as go for the Extraordinary/Exceptional/Legendary Artisan feats from Eberron. Magical Aptitude and Skill Focus (UMD) plus 13 ranks of UMD... +23 modifier, with a 33 check result from Deceive Item. I can pretty much emulate anything I need to. By 12th level, it will be +25... so I'm pretty much able to make anything I want, so long as I have the XP for it and the feats to back it up.

As for my eldritch blast, I have WF (ranged touch attack). Able Learner and Weapon Finesse (in case I opt for a level of Fighter to later go for Battle Caster and open my options for a more melee role -- yes, I got hideous blow, but with the epic warlock feats out now, I have good reason for it). Wish I could go Warlock 18/Chameleon 2, but the DM isn't ready for the Chameleon PrC yet, so no luck there. Guess I'll just need to make a redux of the Eldritch Knight, where warlocks can potentially qualify for that (even though I won't get the fiendish resilience 5 and such).

If I can talk them into gestalt characters from Unearthed Arcana... artificer/warlock, just for the UMD monkey with every item creation feat. ;)

Jhulae

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Of course, if you are a high level character and have enough money to buy a lot of magic items, there are ways to soften the disadvantages that a small humanoid has. But that means you are investing your money (and/or your XP in case you make it by yourself) to items which usual medium-sized warlock doesn't need. It is called a disadvantage, doesn't it?

Easy travel is only 1500 gp. That makes +1 armor of easy travel 2660-2800 gp. I'd hardly consider that much money needing "high level" to aquire.

And, considering the weight of armor and normal 'adventuring' gear, even your Str 8 human is going to be dipping into medium load pretty darn quick. Again, they'll be needing to spend (or make) items to 'soften the disadvantages' of not being able to carry much.

So, again, no difference between small or medium humanoid on that front.

Shin Okada said:
If you are not maxing out Dex or at least put 6 ability points on Dex, then the halfling's advantage is +1 bonus and +1AC/Attack from small size. But, Warlock is indeed a multi-ability score-defendant class. And better to have high Con as it is only slightly tougher than sorcerers and wizards. And better to have high Int to max-out many skill though it has only 2+Int bonus skill points. Warlock is not just feats defendant class but also a skill defendant class.

Need high Dex & High CHA. Unless you are making a character with, say, 50 point-buy or something, putting extra 2-points on str for making a halfling warlock "workable" is painful.

A 16 dex in point buy is using 6 ability points. And, when your main weapon is, you know, a ranged touch attack, that +1 bonus to hit is like a built in Weapon Focus in a class that's feat dependant.

Everything you say about the other stats can go for *any* class, so, honestly, it's irrelevant. Every class can use more HP (even barbarians). Every class can use more skill points (even rogues).

With a 32 point buy, my halfling warlock started out with 8,16,14,14,14,14. I dont' think there's anything wrong with that. There's only a couple of skills I really care to max out (UMD and Concentration). I even took 5 ranks in a cross-class skill. When any class, not just warlock, wants to focus on *everything*, there's never enough skill points. So, honestly, it's better to focus on the essentials, and have the party pick up the slack.

The only point you do have is the charisma thing, and even *then*, it's entirely possible to take invocations that don't force saving throws, meaning the charisma is pointless except for UMD. Even then, at higher levels, it also becomes useless, because you can max out the skill to beyond needing to roll a die to use any item.

Last edited:

Remove ads