• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Trying to run 4E before its release?

Bias: I'm very excited about the upcoming release of 4E to the point of TOTALLY house-ruling by d20 Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords campaign in anticipation of the coming changes that 4th edition will bring. I really like the idea of streamlining D&D while giving certain classes more options in combat and other classes less options. (None of my ideas are new)

At the risk of upsetting fans of existing rules light d20 fantasy, I think those systems don't get the job done in that the players don't have many options for their characters. So, the trick is to add options (complicating things somewhat), while streamlining the unnecessary rules (simplifying things somewhat). So, I really want to run and play in games like this, and I want to do it now, and I'm a little worried that 4E will not go far enough. Maybe what I want is a little extreme, but hey, I've never been called an extremist, so at least it would be a first!

(1) If rules can be written in a third (or less) of the current space used to describe the rules, then they should be stripped down.
(2) If actions can be resolved with a single roll, all the better. Result: I'm advocating average damage, non-iterative attacks, no opposed rolls.
(3) When sensible, let the players make the rolls. Sneaking: d20 + Stealth vs target's Perception + 10... Charm Person (bard): d20 + Charisma vs target's Will defense (Will bonus + 10)... Spike Trap: d20 + Armor Defense vs trap's attack modifier + 10... etc.

Taking #3 to the extreme would mean having the player roll defense every time their character is attacked. I think this might be a bit much and violate sensibility. #3 means the monsters don't spot you on a high roll, you have to roll low on your sneak. #3 means the monster doesn't win when it rolls high on a saving throw, it wins when you roll low. It also means that combined with #2, only one die is rolled at the table.

Let's talk about #1 for a bit. What are all the implications of #1? You could certainly go on a witch hunt and simplify the 3.5 rules and that's mostly what I'm suggesting...

Skills? -> Skill Groups & getting rid of lame skills [not just craft and profession, but also skills like appraise (lame to keep track of how character appraised and what value is and then the haggling), concentration (yes, I said it, spell casters should be able to cast spells), use rope (if your PCs bother to take prisoners, let them, if they use their grappling hook to climb, the throw succeeds automatically), UMD (shouldn't be the province of rogues, they foul stuff up; but the bard can fake it, make into bard class ability).

Feats? -> Class Ability Trees & getting rid of the tiddly-wink feats & weak class abilities.

Equipment? -> remove the copper piece (that's funny for about the first session of each campaign), remove food & water & wine (who tracks bodily functions in their games? Most folks don't, it ain't fun to, "when's the last time my bard took a shower? har har" it gets old), remove 2/3+ of the weapons [most are redundant and not just pole-arms], kill all the tiddly-wink equipment (candles, chalk, heavy chain, etc) [if a player wants to put that on their character sheet, great! I just don't want it taking up space in my PHB (or SRD)] Kill encumbrance, stop taking up space in my rulebook!

Combat? -> Grappling, dead (if 4E resusitates it, I will probably kill it). The only things that can grapple are tentacled monsters and creatures that swallow whole their prey. If a PC grabs a PC to keep them from falling to their death, let them. The only function of grapple would be to stop a creature in its tracks. Roll d20 + Str + Attack vs 10 + Reflex. One roll. Success = You stopped the creature (& slowed for x rounds?). Tripping, Disarming, Sundering, etc. All this needs to be resolved with a single die roll and also needs to be limited to class special abilities (not all fighters can trip), throw in some DM fiat so you can't trip a dragon, etc.

Spells? Just like the designers are doing with monsters, kill off all the spells that aren't necessary or make the game lame (or bump up the lame ones in level, or restrict the lame ones to 1/day). Limit/Kill: save-or-be-taken-out-of-combat-for-the-rest-of-the-encounter... spells. Or, let the PCs have these spells (that make play for players boring) but do not let opponents have these spells (=opponents cannot have charm person), or reduce the duration to 1 round or 3 rounds (not the whole encounter).

Anyone else house-ruling their game to infinity in preparation for 4E?

Last edited:

Afrodyte

Explorer
my own ideas

I'd love to do it, particularly for a short adventure or one-shot that is sort of a fusion of Rob Roy and Willow (ie, the aesthetics of Rob Roy and the magic level of Willow). I just don't have the time to devote to it right now. Since 4e is going to have a lot in common with Star Wars: SE, I'm using that as my baseline. I don't know enough about Star Wars: SE to do very detailed house rules. However, I know that skills, feats, and class abilities will get the most work.

SKILLS
Skill List
I want enough skills to make it possible to reflect a character's physical, mental, and/or social "style" without making them so granular that you spend too much time weighing the pros and cons of each individual skill. I work off of two guidelines. First, skills are active. They are things characters do, not what they have. As much as possible, I try to use active verbs as skill names. Second, as a corollary to the first guideline, skills are defined by how the player uses the skill, not who or what the player uses it on. The uses for each skill are far from exhaustive.

Acrobatics (Dex): flipping, cartwheeling, somersaults, tumbling, contorting
Arcana (Int): learning spells, creating spells, using magical objects
Athletics (Str): climbing, jumping, swimming, running
Craft (Int): make and appraise smaller non-mechanical handiworks (like jewelry)
Empathize (Wis): discern personality/nature, understand motivations, predict behavior
Endurance (Con): push your limits despite pain and/or distraction
Impress (Cha): inspire, intimidate, motivate, captivate
Investigate (Int): find clues, solve riddles, create and decode cyphers
Language (Int): speak, read, and write another language; figure out the meanings of an unfamiliar language based on the ones you already know
Larceny (Dex): conceal things, pick pockets, open locks, slip out of bonds
Lore (Int): apply knowledge of history, culture, philosophy, religion, literature, and art
Medicine (Int): treat injury, poison, and disease; diagnose illness, poison, or cause of death; create poisons
Nature (Int): survive in the wilderness, identify plants and animals, navigate
Observe (Wis): notice things with five senses and/or intuition
Persuade (Cha): negotiate, lie, cheat, seduce, debate/parley
Smith (Int): create and appraise larger non-mechanical handiworks (like weapons)
Stealth (Dex): hide, sneak, shadow
Streetwise (Wis): make and work local contacts, uncover local rumors, get hard-to-find items, determine if something is legit or stolen, buy and sell on the local black market
Tinker (Int): fiddle around with mechanical objects (like traps and locks)

There might be room for additional skills, especially for PCs' backgrounds, but most of them fall into one or more of these categories.

Nature of skills
With the way skill points and DCs work now, it's easier to be optimized for a few things than generally competent at several things. The system currently supports myopic characters who are excellent at their chosen specialties but inept at everything else. Though it can encourage party balance, niche protection, and teamwork, it sometimes forces the group to stay huddled together if everyone wants to participate in the scene. This isn't always the most interesting or the most fun thing to play.

Instead of forcing specialization early on, I prefer to give PCs general competency with many things and exceptional ability in few. This gives players more options in any given scene, but a few chances to really shine. I like SWSE's skill system. I'd start there but nix the idea of class skills altogether. Instead, I'd have the classes balanced by the number of trained skills they can start with (Intelligence bonus notwithstanding). PCs can always use a bonus feat to pick up additional trained skills, and the Skill Focus feat can help them specialize even more.

FEATS
Like the 4e developers, I want to steer clear of feats that were conditional on a specific effect. Not to mention, I want something that players would want to pick up at any level, not just when every +1 counts. Perhaps making certain feats (like Weapon Focus) scale with level would do the trick.

CLASS ABILITIES
I love talent trees. Ideally each class would have between 3 and 5 of them.

OTHER STUFF
I was never fond of the idea that PCs could get a bigger bonus from magic items than from character growth. So, I like the idea of giving out more ability increases.

I like static defense scores. I never understood why PCs had to roll for saves but didn't have to roll for AC. Also, I like that these go up as PCs level. Once again, I never understood why PCs get better at hitting things as they level up but never better at avoiding getting hit. With static defense scores, I don't need a separate score for AC, which cuts down on extra book-keeping, which makes me happy.

Tying weapon damage to level is a good idea, but I'd probably want to do something different so that rolling a 15 and hitting is different from rolling a 5.

CONCLUSION
I did this when I was pretty tired, so I can't vouch for any of it. This is about all I could come up with for now.

Last edited:

Spinachcat

First Post
BradfordFerguson said:
At the risk of upsetting fans of existing rules light d20 fantasy, I think those systems don't get the job done in that the players don't have many options for their characters.

You mean "mechanical options"

Any Tunnels & Trolls character has more options than any 3.x character with 1/100th of the mechanics. Ditto for Castles & Crusades characters.

"Rules = Options" is bad math.

Afrodyte, thanks for the long edit. I will look over your skill thing tomorrow and also share what I've come up with for skills. Tonight I bashed out a 20-level barbarian progression (not typed up) and created a 6th level character sheet for the barbarian player (for this Saturday, yeah I'm crazy). Inspirations: Iron Heroes, Star Wars RPG, 4E previews.

Barbarian 6
Str 18 +4 (gained +2 STR @ level 3)
Dex 14 +2
Con 18 +4 (gained +2 CON @ level 6)
Int 8 -1
Wis 14 +2
Cha 8 -1

HP: 71 Bloodied: 35 (1/2 HP total)
AC: 22 (improved uncanny dodge)
Init: 2, Move: 30'

Fort: 9, Refex: 5, Will: 5

ATTACK
full attack: +12 hit, 17 damage, x3 crit (masterwork greatsword)
Painful Power Attack: +9 hit, 23 damage, opponent: -2 everything for 3 rounds. (USE: 1/encounter)
Jarring Power Attack: +7 hit, 27 damage, disarms opponent on hit. (USE: 1/encounter)
Slashing Charge: +12 hit, 17 damage, -2 AC (self 1 rd). Move opponent 5' on hit. Take opponent's square. (USE: 1/encounter)

SPECIAL
Threatening Challenge: force threatened foe to target you. Intimidate roll vs Will defense. Must hit opponent after threatening challenge (USE: 1/encounter, action: swift, duration: 3 rounds)

RAGE (USE: 2/day, duration: encounter, action: swift)
Black Bear: +2 hit, +3 damage, +12 HP, +2 Fort saves
Mountain Lion: +2 AC +2 Reflex saves, +20' Movement
Screaming Eagle: +3 all saves

HEAL (USE: 2/day, action: swift)
Adrenaline Rush: if under 35 HP, can use adrenaline rush to restore 12 HP.

SKILLS (trained)
Perception +10 (spot, listen, sense motive)
Brawn +12 (climb, jump, swim)
Intimidate +7

EQUIPMENT
masterwork greatsword, breastplate
(unfinished)

Notes/Thoughts: (I'm not showing a bunch of work and a bunch of changes to the system like: ALL martial weapons do x3 damage on a crit) This character sheet still looks like a bit cluttered. Some things need to be rearranged. The barbarian character has 3 different special attacks it can do, 3 different rages, a yell (to draw aggro, hah!), and a healing ability. Each ability is described in a half sentence. You don't need a reference book to figure out what the abilities do. That said, I might take the abilities off the character sheet and present them to the player as cards they can use. I think it is AWESOME that the barbarian player has options for raging and attacking. I hope it doesn't end up being clunky at the gaming table.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
We get together once a year for a week long GameFest (since our core group of close friends are now scattered around the country). This year we are doing a 1-off 3.75 game, making changes to 3X to make it as close to 4X as we can.

The skill system is basically SW:SE for Trained vs. Untrained and skill progression. This is the skill list we're using.

Skill Name <Key Ability> (Use Untrained) [Armor Check Penalty]

Acrobatics <DEX> (Y*) [Y]
Arcana <INT> (N) [N]
Climb <STR> (Y) [Y]
Deception <CHA> (Y) [N]
Dungeoneering <INT> (Y*) [N]
Endurance <CON> (Y) [Y]
Initiative <DEX> (Y) [Y]
Insight <WIS> (Y*) [N]
Knowledge <INT> (Y*) [N]
Nature <INT> (Y*) [N]
Perception <WIS> (Y) [N]
Persuasion <CHA> (Y) [N]
Ride <DEX> (Y) [Y]
Stealth <DEX> (Y) [Y]
Streetwise <INT> (Y*) [N]
Swim <STR> (Y) [Y]
Thievery <DEX> (N) [Y]
Treat Injury <WIS> (Y*) [N]

* Some uses of this skill require that you be trained in the skill.

BradfordFerguson said:
SPECIAL
Threatening Challenge: force 1 threatened foe to target you. Intimidate roll vs Will defense. (USE: at will, action: swift)

Just plain no. The paladin´s binding smite is LVL 26 and 1/encounter. Fightig against an enemy barbarian with such an ability would be really really boring.

Vayden

First Post
I don't have the time or the energy to try and re-create 4E via house-rule at the moment. But I am starting a SWSE campaign for my group this week due to excitement over 4E (ie, I'll play 3.75 until 4.0 comes out).

Ungeheuer, OK, I see that giving it to the barbarian AT WILL, is a problem. Thanks for the feedback. If I keep it for the first game session, I will likely change it to USE: 1/encounter and also define a duration: 3 rounds. The enemy will also be allowed to withdraw/flee, the enemy isn't forced to attack, just target. (edited Barbarian post)

Good point, so if we go back to the MMORPG model of combat, NPCs wouldn't be able to do that move at all. NPCs don't charm PCs in MMORPGs.

That said, if monsters are going to fight in groups against the PCs and monsters will have roles in combat (defender, striker, controller), then their defenders should be able to "pull" the PCs away from attacking their strikers/controllers. So maybe the answer for the defender is for their pull to take one player option away instead of all player options away?

The PCs need to be able to "pull aggro" from monsters who are beating up on their "pasty whites", so PC defenders will have special abilities to pull aggro. Defenders are the battlefield "sticky" in their role. The rogue will have a special ability to "reduce hate" or push aggro away from them. The key is when they get this and how powerful it is.

I can't possibly map out all the talent trees or even some of them before the first game session (in 5 days). My personal goal isn't to convert the whole system.

Last edited:

Vayden, I'm also tempted (by the dark side) to play SWSE to whet my appetite for 4E. Gonna see how far I can go with my experiment before I dive into SWSE. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Today, I'm hack-n-slashing through the cleric spell list. Ugh.

Remove ads