Trying to start a new game

nopantsyet

First Post
The one thing I've learned in my years of DMing and organizing a group -- and it has been a hard lesson to learn -- is that the people you're playing with make or break the game. One bad apple truly can ruin the barrel. But beyond that, if the players don't gel around the table the game won't run smoothly, the players will get frustrated, the GM will get frustrated and eventually enough will be enough. It is better to take your time and look for the right people. A player who won't learn the rules or do basic prep does not belong in your game; doesn't matter if it's your best friend who saved your life while teaching you everything you know. ;)

And honestly, either people make time or they don't. Games don't have to be weekly, but if people want to play they will find a way. I shifted my game to twice a month after my second DM-ling was born. It's much better to have less frequent sessions that everybody's prepared and looking forward to than to make things worse by struggling to find the time, showing up unprepared and not having fun.

My suggestion: take your time, organize your game and your group right. And "right" just might mean taking the DM reins yourself. Many a great DM was born out of necessity. :)

Good luck!

Remove ads