• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[tSoY] Dungeons and Dragnet

Lackhand

First Post
Himura: The elven waif, her grief spent, thanks you softly. She does indeed have a place to stay, usually; a shelter that she shares with a few others.
Some of them are fighting right now, and she'd rather sleep in what semblance to nature she can find, than spend the night under that roof.

"But, Himura of Q'Barra... it is late, and we must go. Thank you. For everything." She makes as if to leave, her shakes noticably lessened.

"Good luck. You are watched by one who is a friend of the gods -- fear no evil. May your dreams be fruitful." She looks sad and alone, but definitely less translucent.

Darrien: They were going to resist your suasion via shutting you out, and so they do: (-,+,+, 1 rank = 2 vs your 2), tying again. They continue to be obstinate, simply ignoring your repeated attempts at their good nature, (+,+,+, 1 rank) = 4 vs your one, giving them three bonus dice when the father, having managed to calm a tremor in his upper lip, stands up.

"You are in my home uninvited, sir, and are asking after my daughter. I demand that you state the nature of your business and get out; I guarantee that she has seen nor heard nothing to aid you!"

I get six dice here, and roll +00---, dropping the lowest, and he's attempting another untrained sway (total of 1) vs your 2. He takes another level 1 bruise, but I'm willing to treat "Dude, your daughter totally saw something!" as a +2 weapon, making that a 3 bruise.

That's enough to shock him from his calm complacency; a quiet word that you disagree, a somewhat unsettling motion with his hands, and his false bravado drains away. (he's gonna drop out of the BDtP, surrendering)

He produces his daughter, who is more than glad to cooperate, having found an adult who will 1) listen to her and 2) cow her normally overbearing father. She tries to get you to arrest him for not giving her iced creams.

On topic, she says that she heard a doggie under her window in the middle of last night. The doggy sounded like he was big, bigger than daddy even.
The doggy sounded 'sick', though she's not able to express why. The doggy was worrying around the house of the old mean lady who had a lot of visitors; the doggy went away after a big "splat" kinda sound.

She says that she was awoken, that is, woke up a few minutes before the doggy came, by the smell of smoke from across the way.

Maybe the doggy was cold?

Val: Indeed.

tursiops

First Post
fighting...? each other or someone/thing else? Himura asks of Vára

(key of conscience: 1 xp for helping someone (it would be 5 but she won't let make a BIG difference in her life *pout*))

Szircon

First Post
((Sorry, everyone- I've been less than active of late. Fortunately, Kev wasn't doing much.))

After swinging by the precinct and giving a report to the mundane watch concerning the robberies she's got intel on, Kev drifts back into the underworld for a quick visit to the Traveler's Warren, a network of connected cellars in a bad part of town containing several shrines to the outcast god and frequented by outcast members of society. It's nowhere near the crime scene; she's not scrounging for info, just maintaining a presence for the purpose of keeping her underground identity current. For similar reasons she makes a brief morning appearance as Jennilyn Frost, purchasing some scent in an upscale (and upper-story) boutique, before returning to the Keg & Kettle with her utter lack of useful knowledge. She crashes in the back room for a few hours either before or after reporting to the others, depending on when she and they arrive.

CaineWasFramed

First Post
"Thank you for all your help, little miss," Darrien says, finishing taking notes and patting the little girl on the head. "You've been very helpful, and I think you do deserve an ice cream," he says, shooting a snide glance at her father. He then departs the house with a "thanks for your cooperation," and exits the appartment complex.

Crossing the street to the building across the shaft, Darrien notes the lateness of the hour. He quickly jots down the businesses next door for later reference and makes his way to the Keg and Kettle to meet up with the rest of the group, muttering to himself "the doggy sounded sick?"

Lackhand

First Post
This is incredibly narrativist of me but: For the next little while, I don't have any real clues planned. Live life. Be real people and use this as an opportunity to explore your characters. If what your character would do is get obsessed and dig in, trying to solve the mystery, describe what you're doing. It may work; I like getting surprised. But in general, don't get frustrated if what you're trying isn't working, there are time scales at work here.
The murderer is a little flamboyant, maybe, but clever, and covered his, her, or its tracks well.

Himura: Each other. Let the scene end, take your 1 xp, and wait 'till tomorrow. You'll get another few... ;)
Vára shrugs off your continued offers of aid, protesting that she's fine, and just wants to take in the stars (between the few drips of rain) -- she's off to a park in the upper reaches, to stargaze and think, and greet the sun.
Besides, it's getting awfully early.

Everyone: You make it back to your houses and warm, dry beds, images of the easily-swept-up crime scene fresh in your minds. The sun rises. The next day begins, cooler than yesterday, thanks to the rain, and with a clammy mist in the air.

Val (and anyone else in the Keg & Kettle): You stayed up all night -- for a given definition of "up" and "night" -- studying.
An hour after sunrise, while the bronze tolling of the Host's Bells are still fading from earshot, Vára comes calling.

She's gazing through the crusted windows anxiously; the stout proprietor rarely opens to the public before ten bells.

She is wearing a silk shawl of clear Valenar workelfship, her hair is gathered at the nape of her neck in dark curls, and in every way she looks more couth, albeit still wispy and abstracted.

She knocks, hesitantly.

Actions?

Errands, Playwrights, and the Elven Actress

Valandil discussed briefly with Darrien, and Himura when they appeared on their way home by the Keg & Kettle, the findings of yesterday. The news about the puppy seemed very odd indeed. What interested Valandil more, however was the fact that the burning occurred before the puppy showed up.

After saying good night to Himura and Darrien, he studied some more and worked on his latest play. The proprietor of K&K, Terrapin, knew that Valandil liked staying up late and studying, and would not destroy anything. In fact it was easier to let Valandil be, put out a couple of candles, than disturbing him. That one time where Valandil got startled still gave Terrapin the creeps when he remembered the episode from the reaction. The shadows seemed to come alive and spring at him. Terrapin shook his head at the memory as he left. Bunch of crazies.

(OOC: I will assume that Kev is not going to show up before mid-morning due to having been out all evening and needing sleep ?)
The knocking on the window brought Valandil from his trance, into which he had fallen after finishing the latest scene in his play. He was a bit startled to see Vára this soon after Himura had spoken with her. He rose, opened the window and informed Vára that Himura would probably not be in till later in the morning due to having been up rather late. If she brings up the question about the job that Himura had mentioned he indcates that yes he did know a number of playwrights, several of them were searching for an Elf to play a part, and that she would certainly fit the bill for any of the roles. Valandil suggested that she returns in a few hours for breakfast with him and Himura. He needed to run home to grab some of the manuscripts that his friends had loaned him as they started castings.

He then went out, locking the back door, to get the various plays. Also he went to the playwright district to pick up any new ones that his friends may have. On his way back to the K&K he stoped at Himura's home and knocked, telling him that his friend Vára had appeared at the K&K, and that she was inquiring about the job Himura'd mentioned. Also that there was to be a working brunch between the three of them to discuss various plays, and afterwards he'd suggest to Himura what playwrights to take Vára to for her roles.

Last edited:

tursiops

First Post
Himura will accompany Valandil back to lunch with Vára but he mentions to Valandil that he is surprised as she didn't seem at all interested in a job earlier.

Assuming they actually do meet up with Vára, Himura greets her and asks how she slept.

Lackhand

First Post
still not a real post Sorry I haven't posted For Real yet. I plan on heading up to Ithaca this weekend, where Andres can put me in a headlock and force me to post.

Sounds good?

Lackhand

First Post
Real Post!

Vára is still waiting, at a table inside the Keg and Kettle, its doors now open and a small early-lunchtime crowd assembled within.

Terrapin is on his habitual stool behind the bar, glass bottles reflecting cheery light on his balding pate. He irritably asks you to shut the door, as you're letting bluster in, and sets about making a plate of bread and cheese for you, with astonishing efficiency.

Vára sees you coming, Himura, and immediately comes over to you to talk. She's dressed more nicely than she was yesterday, her hair restrained in a hairnet, her clothes clean (if old). She's very interested in a job, not with some playwright, but with you. Surely you have some writing you might need done, or errands that need doing; even if you spend all your time in this dive, surely she could do something to help such a brave-and-bold lad as you.

(not sketchy. Seriously, she's looking for secretarial work. If you give it to her, take those other 4 AP :) There's enough busywork involved in being a watchmember that you do have work for her, at least until Martin's free, and then there's interesting interaction there!)

Meanwhile, an ink-stained gaggle of men approach the elves-and-sword-toting-young-boy. You recognize the leader a moment before he introduces himself. He's Ten-Coin Chandor, a Lhazaar immigrant and inquisitive; he's involved in the strange and un-normal quicker than most'd think, with an ear to the ground and a coin for anyone who'll talk.

He's also holding a pad, a thin stick of charcoal, and the pad has... oh, no: the pad has Sharn Thumbscrew (a somewhat disreputable broadsheet) scrawled across the top.

He's on the wage.

"Mornin', officers! Was wonderin' if I could talk to you for a moment -- buy you a drink? A meal? A fine-voiced lark? -- about what happened yesterday, over by Knight's Way?"

New Watch Members and the Annoying Press

Valandil adressed Mr. Ten-Coin through a rather fake smile "Monsieurs a drink at this time is absurd, a meal I am already purchasing, and thou should take your inquiries to the Watches' Department of Public Affairs."
[OOC: Valandil was Hungry. This was his polite way of saying f*** off]

Valandil then told Vára, in elven, to take Himura and grab a table for 3 from Terrapin the owner and to leave these tramps to Valandil. He then calmly walked into the bar with them and blocked their access to Vára.

Valandil knew that Rita Skeeter Ten-Coin and the cronies gentlemen in question could not be 'forced' out of the bar without them actually offending Terrapin. And Valandil also knew that they would probably not just leave them alone. So he begged off to eat lunch, saying he and Himura would have a word with them afterwards, and if they interrupted their meal he would be incredibly displeased. He politely, but firmly refuses any offers they make to purchase his meal.

He told Himura that he would not be opposed to someone helping out at the office. They did have more work than Karalain could handle, even when she claimed to be able to do it on her own.

After lunch he approaches the 'reporters' and inquires as to what they would like to talk about.
[D]..[/D]
If you needed a roll to brush them off I'll do Resist : -,0,0,2Ranks=+1

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads