• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tumble Question... /sigh

borc killer

First Post
The rules are not totally clear… at least not as clear as I would like it to be. Here is the situation. You have three orcs standing in a row. The monk tries to tumble through the middle orc’s square. I think the PC has to make 3 tumble checks at 19, 19, 29. My players think it is ether just one roll of 29 or 3 rolls of 15, 15, 29.

Thanks

Murrdox

First Post
Three tumble checks.

I'm assuming that the player is tumbling to avoid AoO on 2 Orcs, and then through the middle Orc's square.

Tumble DC15 - Tumble past Orc1 without provoking AoO.
Tumble DC27 - Tumble through Orc2's square. (with an additional +2 for tumbling past an additional opponent
Tumble DC19 - Tumble past Orc3 without provoking AoO. (with an additional +2 for each of the preceeding Orcs)

Pasus Nauran

First Post
If the player is moving directly towards the 3 orcs, and tumbling through the middle orc's square, then the tumble check would be as such:

1. DC 19 - Tumble into square in front of the middle orc (15+4 for tumbling past 3 opponents total)

2. DC 29 - Tumble into the middle orc's square (25+4 for tumbling into an enemy occupied square that is threatened by 2 additional opponents)

1. DC 19 - Tumble into square in behind the middle orc (15+4 for tumbling past 3 opponents total)

For each 5 ft. of movement, there is only a single Tumble check, modified as required for the situation.

dshai527

First Post
I think Murrdox has it right, but I would be a little easier on the player and let the occupied square be the first check so it would look more like 25, 17, 19 or in the order they occured if not starting within 5' so 15, 17, 29.

borc killer

First Post
Pasus Nauran said:
If the player is moving directly towards the 3 orcs, and tumbling through the middle orc's square, then the tumble check would be as such:

I suck at drawing in ASCII or i would do that. Lets say it is a monk.. the monk would be 10 feet in front of the middle orc. He would move 5 feet normally up and then tumble to the middle orc and then tumble through his square and into the one behind it. From what i see it is as you say... 3 checks 19, 29, 19.

I don't under stand the other arguments that are posted on this thread however... they are like the ones my players make about this... I just don't see how you get those numbers...

Thanks

Shallown

First Post
DC 25
Tumble at one-half speed through an area occupied by an enemy (over, under, or around the opponent) as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you stop before entering the enemy-occupied area and provoke an attack of opportunity from that enemy. Check separately for each opponent. Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

DC 15
Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

three orcs in a row.
Assume character is entering the middle square in front of the middle orc. Entering a square draws no AofO.

He goes to leave that square by entering the Orcs square. So it is A DC 25 to do so. I would make this first becuase if he fails he doesn't actually leave his square. and therefore does not actually draw AofO from the other two orcs beside the middle one. Some GM's may judge this by saying he tried top move out just cause he failed doesn't mean he doesn't draw the Aof O.

If he succeeds he leaves the square but before he actually leaves he draws an AofO from each of the other side orcs to avoid he needs a DC 17 and a DC 19 roll. The character chooses who each DC is against. (If both are identical then it probably doesn't matter but it is his choice).

That's all of it.

Later

borc killer

First Post
Thanks Shallown... I understand know. I (and it seem others including my players) were totally misunderstanding the rules. You make a tumble check for each person that you draw and AoO from no matter the distance traveled. Each one after the first is a +2.

Brain hurts.

Thanks!

Remove ads