• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tumbling with a 2-handed weapon

Warehouse23

First Post
Maybe this is a real noob question, but are there any rules for tumbling while holding a two-handed weapon. I can't find anything in any of the books I own regarding tumble checks with full hands. Now common sense would dictate that you just can't tumble that well with a long spear in your mitts (particularly, say, if you were trying to tumble past an opponent to avoid an attack of opportunity), but have any canon rulings been made?

Yig

First Post
As far as I know, no.

The only equipment that can give you a penality is armor/shield if they have a ACP.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Warehouse23 said:
Maybe this is a real noob question, but are there any rules for tumbling while holding a two-handed weapon. I can't find anything in any of the books I own regarding tumble checks with full hands. Now common sense would dictate that you just can't tumble that well with a long spear in your mitts (particularly, say, if you were trying to tumble past an opponent to avoid an attack of opportunity), but have any canon rulings been made?
There's no rules, because you CAN tumble just fine with a longspear in your hands.

Don't start with a common sense interpretation and work towards the rules - start with the rules and work to common sense.

What is tumble? A way of moving that your opponent does not expect, and therefore cannot stop.

How would you do this with a longspear in both hands? Whip it around so he fears getting too close. Throw it in the air, do your acrobatic flip, then grab it again. Use it to vault over him. None of which, incidentally, require additional rules - they are part and parcel of tumble.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Warehouse23 said:
Maybe this is a real noob question, but are there any rules for tumbling while holding a two-handed weapon.

Exactly the same as tumbling without holding a two-handed weapon.

Using the Tumble skill to avoid AoOs doesn't necessarily mean you're doing somersaults and cartwheels.

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy said:
How would you do this with a longspear in both hands? Whip it around so he fears getting too close. Throw it in the air, do your acrobatic flip, then grab it again. Use it to vault over him. None of which, incidentally, require additional rules - they are part and parcel of tumble.

Heck, watch a Jackie Chan flick.

He Tumbles when wielding stepladders!

Trainz

Explorer
I remember back in the days I was doing Aikido and Kobudo, we practiced doing rolls while weilding a boken (wooden katana) with two hands, in effect using our forearms and shoulders.

If it's possible in real life, it's certainly possible in D&D. :D

Last edited:

Meeki

First Post
Also, if you think that tumble is to easy to do there is a house rule that my group uses. The PC/NPC makes a tumble check then any NPC/PC that would get an AoO normally against non-tumbling opponents make a reflex save against DC Tumble Check. If they suceed then they get an AoO, if not then tumble works normally. Note that the PC/NPC still gets to move even on a failed tumble check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads